Tips or advice on 2 bitches

Northko21

Tourist
So right now I'm very excited as by summer I'll be able to get my own place finally.
I am a straight male and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for keeping 2 bitches. Specifically 2 German shepherds.

I've been looking around and from what I've seen it seems that it's not a good idea to get two dogs from the same litter or that it's not good to have multiple bitches. Which is why I wanted to ask the community if there is anything I should know or be advised about.

Last edited:
getting 2 from the same litter would probably have better odds of them getting along than average, but I have found if the second female is brought in as a young puppy, that usually works too.

There are no guarantees.

getting 2 from the same litter would probably have better odds of them getting along than average, but I have found if the second female is brought in as a young puppy, that usually works too.

There are no guarantees.
I do plan to get them both as young puppies so that they can grow up together.

I've had a couple sets of sisters from the same litter and not had any issues, last was a pair of german shepherds actually.
Thank you for this info. this is why i like getting info from people who've had experience. I've heard that two bitches don't get along too well with one another if there isn't another male present and how also that if they fight then that is the end of any friendliness towards one another.

A lot can depend on breed and temperment, but I've lived with multiple bitches before without fuss. Introductions matter a lot and if you don't have some experience in canine behavior and training I'd recommend you do some study before even considering it. I've found it easier when introducing a new bitch as a pup, but a lot of that depends on the older bitch's attitude and behavior; IMO it works best with a bitch who loves pups and let her help raise the next bitch so they learn how to interact well from the start. I would not try it without significant experience in behavior modification with two adult bitches who were not very well socialized or where either bitch is either from a breed known for strife or who has a history of agression with other dogs. It can be done, but it's a lot of work to manage it safely and definitely not a task one should consider solo. In general, dogs can fight and get along later, but bitches hold grudges.

A lot can depend on breed and temperment, but I've lived with multiple bitches before without fuss. Introductions matter a lot and if you don't have some experience in canine behavior and training I'd recommend you do some study before even considering it. I've found it easier when introducing a new bitch as a pup, but a lot of that depends on the older bitch's attitude and behavior; IMO it works best with a bitch who loves pups and let her help raise the next bitch so they learn how to interact well from the start. I would not try it without significant experience in behavior modification with two adult bitches who were not very well socialized or where either bitch is either from a breed known for strife or who has a history of agression with other dogs. It can be done, but it's a lot of work to manage it safely and definitely not a task one should consider solo. In general, dogs can fight and get along later, but bitches hold grudges.
yes that seems to be the way. I've always planned to get my two german shepherds as puppies so that they can grow up beside each other.
of course i plan to do what i can to make it right and ensure each of them get the proper training so that they can be well socialized with one another.

I want to be able to explore my sexuality while at the same time being able to ensure they have proper manners when I (sadly) have company over.

Also about the last point, yes that is my biggest worry about getting two female puppies. one point i've read is how while they can play fight i have to watch out as if they take it too far then they will start to hate each other.

though i just wonder how common it is though

yes that seems to be the way. I've always planned to get my two german shepherds as puppies so that they can grow up beside each other.
of course i plan to do what i can to make it right and ensure each of them get the proper training so that they can be well socialized with one another.

I want to be able to explore my sexuality while at the same time being able to ensure they have proper manners when I (sadly) have company over.

Also about the last point, yes that is my biggest worry about getting two female puppies. one point i've read is how while they can play fight i have to watch out as if they take it too far then they will start to hate each other.

though i just wonder how common it is though

Good training goes a long ways. I always monitor pups when they're playing, be it with other pups or adults, and redirect them they start to get too rowdy by calling the pup over to separate them and do a little one on one training then swap to the other. I like to shape a good retrieve for all my dogs and use it to exercise them and burn off the extra energy, be that with ball and thrower, frisbee, etc.

I typically try to stagger my dogs apart in ages as the loss of multiple dogs close together can be too much for me (it still happens, sometimes there's an unexpected loss).

With dogs and bitches, you have to always be alert to squabbles and be ready to act. Sometimes you have to separate them indefinitely; for example when a senior gets wobbly it can affect the dynamics. We have pet gates we setup as needed when guests, illness, age, or personalities necessitate it.

I guess the TL;DR is, with good planning you can make it work even if they don't always get along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good training goes a long ways. I always monitor pups when they're playing, be it with other pups or adults, and redirect them they start to get too rowdy by calling the pup over to separate them and do a little one on one training then swap to the other. I like to shape a good retrieve for all my dogs and use it to exercise them and burn off the extra energy, be that with ball and thrower, frisbee, etc.

I typically try to stagger my dogs apart in ages as the loss of multiple dogs close together can be too much for me (it still happens, sometimes there's an unexpected loss).

With dogs and bitches, you have to always be alert to squabbles and be ready to act. Sometimes you have to separate them indefinitely; for example when a senior gets wobbly it can affect the dynamics. We have pet gates we setup as needed when guests, illness, age, or personalities necessitate it.

I guess the TL;DR is, with good planning you can make it work even if they don't always get along.
You've made some good points here and i can't believe i haven't thought of something like this. while my hope is for my two future girls to get along i will take this into consideration.

Back