Things your dog should NOT be chewing on

Wasn't a dane that got into the chocolate
My appologies for assuming it was your Dane that ate the chocolate, you mentioned them in the previous paragraph so I thought you were speaking about the same dog, when you just referred to them as "my dog". I would still stand by what I said about chocolate in general. Just because your dog got off unscathed, which I am pleased to hear, but this does not necessarily mean all dogs would.

Think a few of these really depend on your dog. Cooked bones and anything small that your dog could choke on is an obvious no.
But rawhide? Antlers? Sticks? I have no issue with my boy chewing on them. He loves them and i've never had an issue. Never known anyone else personally that has had an issue.
Just bloody supervise your dogs with these items. It's like giving your dog a toy with a squeaker, then watching them rip it apart, choke on the squeaker, then posting 'never let you dog have a squeaky toy'

You can't bubble wrap your dog, if unsure just supervise

I know this is a weird one, but can anyone confirm if apples are a bad thing for dogs??

Went to a Dogs Trust in the UK with Buddy for a nice day out once and there was a sign of what is good and isn't good for dogs to eat and for some reason apples were on the 'not good' list?? Is it to do with the core of the apple being difficult to eat or is it genuinely not good for them?
The seeds in an apple contain low doses of cyanide. And in high quantity can poison a dog. (But people are affected the same way)

Apples are fine, just not the cores. Apples are a good source of vitamin A and C as well as fiber for your dogs.

Apple seeds contain a fair amount of cyanide, so if your dog were to chew these seeds it would poison them.
Dogs can get vitamin C toxicity. Unlike humans, a dog's body manufactures citric acid on its own.

Dogs can get vitamin C toxicity. Unlike humans, a dog's body manufactures citric acid on its own.
Indeed a dog produce their own vitamin C naturally. A healthy dog will produce around 18 mg per day, per pound. This means that a 60 pound dog will produce more than 1000 mg on their own each day. Apples on the other hand contain about 7-10 mg of Vitamin C each. You'd have to feed a dog a lot of apples before it became toxic. You probably shouldn't make a habit out of it giving them multiple apples per day everyday, but giving your dog an occasional apple shouldn't do them any harm at all.

Although, the only fruit I've feed to my dogs have been cranberries when they were having minor bladder issues.

Back