Opinions on neutering?

responsiblity isnt a boolean value, and literally every pet owner says that. if you want this threads topic to be whether you and only you are equipped to own an intact dog, fine. in the meantime though, youre missing the point that generally promoting the concept of spaying and neutering yields a net positive impact on dogs. irresponsible people are gunna get pets whether you like it or not. maybe dont evangelize to them to not fix their pets so that theres not yet another borderline backyard breeder selling """akc certified""" puppies on facebook and craigslisy. sorry, its not selling, its a "rehoming" fee.
You are a lost cause my friend, and I fear for a future where people like you outweigh the smart people. Thank god that will never happen. You’ve been brainwashed buddy. You sound no different than all the other boomers who Bob Barker tainted. Yes, bad and irresponsible people are going to continue to get dogs. Some may breed them and sell them. But hey, welcome to fucking America buddy. There’s always a percentage of bad people on any group. On that same token, responsible people are also going to continue to get dogs, including breeders, trainers, and those into dog sports. And they do amazing things. You’re free to support what you like, but please don’t evangelize to them that they must spay and neuter their dogs because of some skewed belief that it will have any tangible positive effect on the stray population. Assuming you’re even talking about the stray population...you just said positive impact on dogs which is extremely vague and frankly untrue. You promote it so vehemently and people get their dogs neutered at 4 months old, and can’t figure out why their 3 year old dog had bone, muscle and joint issues.

You care about animals, just as we all do here. But you’re going about it all wrong. I think I speak for most when I say that the problem we have with strays is awful and I wish dogs didn’t have to suffer because if humans’ hands. No one here is “pro-stray.” But this approach of blanket spay and neuter is akin to Thanos killing off half of the universe. Sorry to use another Marvel reference but it just fits. His intentions were good, and fairly logical. But you can’t make the majority suffer and pay for the mistakes and faults of a small percentage of people. It’s not unlike gun control. If the US enacted stricter gun laws, well not much would change. Because the majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. Would an extremely, almost negligible percentage of people be affected, sure, absolutely. Would it make any measurable difference? Certainly not.

I’m gonna to reiterate and end this back and forth with this, so please read it very carefully as you must have missed it last time: Spaying and neutering RESPONSIBLE owners pets has 0 effect on the stray population. Generally promoting spaying and neutering has at best a neutral effect on dogs as a whole. I think you forget that these are surgical procedures and come with just as many cons and risks as they do pros.

as I wrote it earlier, I'm against hurting this way of animals, except in cases of very serious medical conditions. As it was told above, overpopulation is caused by the inresponsibility of some humans. Any beeing has it's sexual needs and it shouldn't be controled by those who's use their fake "morality" (created by brainwashing thru others who call themself to have "authority")

You are a lost cause my friend, and I fear for a future where people like you outweigh the smart people. Thank god that will never happen. You’ve been brainwashed buddy. You sound no different than all the other boomers who Bob Barker tainted. Yes, bad and irresponsible people are going to continue to get dogs. Some may breed them and sell them. But hey, welcome to fucking America buddy. There’s always a percentage of bad people on any group. On that same token, responsible people are also going to continue to get dogs, including breeders, trainers, and those into dog sports. And they do amazing things. You’re free to support what you like, but please don’t evangelize to them that they must spay and neuter their dogs because of some skewed belief that it will have any tangible positive effect on the stray population. Assuming you’re even talking about the stray population...you just said positive impact on dogs which is extremely vague and frankly untrue. You promote it so vehemently and people get their dogs neutered at 4 months old, and can’t figure out why their 3 year old dog had bone, muscle and joint issues.

You care about animals, just as we all do here. But you’re going about it all wrong. I think I speak for most when I say that the problem we have with strays is awful and I wish dogs didn’t have to suffer because if humans’ hands. No one here is “pro-stray.” But this approach of blanket spay and neuter is akin to Thanos killing off half of the universe. Sorry to use another Marvel reference but it just fits. His intentions were good, and fairly logical. But you can’t make the majority suffer and pay for the mistakes and faults of a small percentage of people. It’s not unlike gun control. If the US enacted stricter gun laws, well not much would change. Because the majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. Would an extremely, almost negligible percentage of people be affected, sure, absolutely. Would it make any measurable difference? Certainly not.

I’m gonna to reiterate and end this back and forth with this, so please read it very carefully as you must have missed it last time: Spaying and neutering RESPONSIBLE owners pets has 0 effect on the stray population. Generally promoting spaying and neutering has at best a neutral effect on dogs as a whole. I think you forget that these are surgical procedures and come with just as many cons and risks as they do pros.
ofc youre anti gun control lol

I've always been of the opinion that the animal should stay intact as it was intended to. Never been a fan of desexing any animals etc

ofc youre anti gun control lol
Typical modern internet children...jumps into forums spreading their views, blabbering on about how only their views and opinions are right, blatantly ignores any facts, evidence, proof, or opinions of any one who doesn’t agree with their bigoted view, and then makes wild accusations and claims No where did I say I was anti or pro ANYTHING besides anti spay/neuter. I’m not really sure how me or anyone else being anti gun control would even be of the slightest relevance here. If you’re goal was
to convince or persuade me to agree with your views, you’ve failed. Miserably. Any other assumptions or accusations you’d like to throw out? No? Good day.

I would say it messes up your dogs hormonal balance. They can gain weight more easier and they’re not as active. I’m not for neutering. I think if you can actually control your animal and put basic principles in place to keep them from being out of control, you should definitely leave them Intact.

It's rare but some vets do OSS spays and similarly, vasectomies.

Vasectomy is a much better path, less invasive, doesn't lob off body parts with no cause, and doesn't change your boy.

Neutering and spaying should ONLY be done if medically necessary.

If you wouldnt let them do it to you font do it to them....no matter what they tell you, the only thing it prevents for sure is wandering....once neutered the World doesnt smell as good....and it only prevents wandering about 50 percent of the time....

I take advantage that this topic is open to ask a small question too, if it's a problem to you, I apologize in advance and I would open another but it doesn't seem necessary to me.

What do you think about spaying / neutring a dog for professional reasons like cops dogs, military dogs, assist dogs (E.G. to guide a blind person or to help with a disability)? In which situation does this seem possible to you and why?

Yeah, I know it can happen that pro dogs are abused and spaying/neutring is considered as such, but I wanted to clear things up and try to understand some of them better.
Thanks for your answers, please don't be too forceful with me please. I'm just very curious and I really want to learn everything about my four-legged friends.

Last edited:
I take advantage that this topic is open to ask a small question too, if it's a problem to you, I apologize in advance and I would open another but it doesn't seem necessary to me.

What do you think about spaying / neutring a dog for professional reasons like cops dogs, military dogs, assist dogs (E.G. to guide a blind person or to help with a disability)? In which situation does this seem possible to you and why?

Yeah, I know it can happen that pro dogs are abused and spaying/neutring is considered as such, but I wanted to clear things up and try to understand some of them better.
Thanks for your answers, please don't be too forceful with me please. I'm just very curious and I really want to learn everything about my four-legged friends.
I think it depends on the dog. For example if a medical trained service dog can't focus at all during heat months (male or female) but has no problem outside of this specific distraction then in my opinion sterilisation can be a solution as long as the dog is fully grown, otherwise maybe it's not the good profile to be a service dog if multiples factors lead that way.

I think it depends on the dog. For example if a medical trained service dog can't focus at all during heat months (male or female) but has no problem outside of this specific distraction then in my opinion sterilisation can be a solution as long as the dog is fully grown, otherwise maybe it's not the good profile to be a service dog if multiples factors lead that way.
Thanks, I have a very similar opinion. In any event, in these specific situations, no one has a choice since the associations that issue them always put them through the knife without it being possible to refuse them.

probably a bad take (as i don't know much about service animal training/picking the right ones for it process), but wouldn't you want to keep the really good ones at certain tasks intact so they can pass that talent on their offspring?

probably a bad take (as i don't know much about service animal training/picking the right ones for it process), but wouldn't you want to keep the really good ones at certain tasks intact so they can pass that talent on their offspring?
My guess is just like any breeder's pup they only breed the good profile but not the actual service dogs / sold puppy

I know they're keeping some dogs to breed more, but I know that for service dogs they leave no choice cause fear of abusive matings to have pups.

I get it that in most areas people do not properly manage their dogs and the end result is a number of pets producing unwanted litters which further exacebates the problem. I'd rather people be taught how to properly manage an intact dog, but at least here where I live, it's hard enough to get them taught how to manage their own reproduction, much less that of their pets. As a result, I accept spay/neuter as a default with rescue orgs since if the dog was wanted, it never would have gotten to them in the first place.

As for dogs in my care, I neuter as needed for their health since that's far more important than my desires.I have a male dog who was neutered years ago due to a hyperplastic prostate that was causing increasing issues. I've had bitches who were spayed and I regularly recommend spaying bitches as they get older, exactly when depends on the breed due to increasing risks of pyometra with age. I don't recommend neutering a dog before the age of 3 unless there's an existing health issue.

My family is much for neutering animals as a form of population and behavior control. I disagree, thinking neutering is pretty fucked up, because there are better alternatives like vasectomies or training your dog use a something else to mount on. When they need to release. (I’m just saying this because it’s not generally common for people to let dogs mount humans)

Idk, what are your opinions on this?
The answer is just simply NO, never mutilate your animals.
If you own the animal its your call. Otherwise stfu and go suck a lemon.

If It's not for a medical emergency, It's not only wrong, It's abusive. If you don't want your dog to have children,
or mark It's territory, and your first thought is to mutilate It's genitals, you are a fucking psychopath.

I’m pretty sure this has been stated already, and more in depth, but as an animal ages, certain health concerns come up with both males and females. Regular checkups should be preformed at a minimum, as cancer is a killer, and keeping your animal intact for other purposes is mostly selfish. Male dogs are much less stressed out after they are neutered. I’ve seen females calm down quite significantly also.

My family is much for neutering animals as a form of population and behavior control. I disagree, thinking neutering is pretty fucked up, because there are better alternatives like vasectomies or training your dog use a something else to mount on. When they need to release. (I’m just saying this because it’s not generally common for people to let dogs mount humans)

Idk, what are your opinions on this?
Animals shouldn’t be neutered unless they have to in my opinion, if there’s a mother alternative that can help an animal I’d go for it

I'm against neutering for the most part except if its needed. I gave into social pressure and advice of idiots and neutered my dog after a couple years and he gained so much weight it was insane. It also changed him sexually as well. His drive/stamina went lower and his d-size shrunk as well. Don't do it. Train and exercise them instead. I can't point to one overly positive thing that came out of it. His personality and energy level didn't change, so I guess its not all bad.

Where i live you get guilt tripped about all the unwanted dogs in the poorer areas. That has nothing to do with my dogs. I have never had a litter in over 30 years of dog ownership. I will nueter or spay if there is a medical reason to do so otherwise my dogs stay as they ment to be.

Unless there is a serious reason for this it should not be done.
Convenience and behavior control are not serious reasons. You can learn to control your dog's behavior and you can jerk a dog off a few times a week to keep the hormones low. And you can make your garden secure enough to prevent your dog from running away. If everybody does that a male and a female would have to escape at the same time in a small time window to be able to mate. Castrating dogs for population control is lazy convenience and genital mutilation.
So spot on my friend!!! 🐕

Animals have the right to their own bodies.
If X animal is really completely uncontrollable unless you lop off a body part, maybe the problem is the one failing to control.
The solution to pet control is moving towards better pet ownership, not just snipping off parts of their body. We don't declaw cats no matter how much they scratch, nor do we debark dogs even if they're annoying at times. Heck, in europe even descenting skunks is largely illegal because a good owner won't exactly have problems.

If the only way to keep an animal is seriously to remove their body parts, then maybe we really need to reconsider how our relationship is working out.

Back