Opinions on neutering?

what situation tho? the only situation where spay/neuter is the correct action is health issue. other things (ie: behavioral issues) can and should be solved by other means. sadly, simply snipping him/ripping her insides out is the quickest permanent solution and ppl generally prefer those... even though it can not yield the expected results (ie: a dog stays aggressive after neuter). weird that mutilation is usually the first advice one gets for "how to make my dog less aggressive". not to mention that a spay for example can result in the girl being incontinent for the rest of her life.
and I also mention incontinence for early or late neutered males... Just from lived experiences...

Personally I'm not against the spaying and neutering of say feral cats to control their populations and such. For behavioral reasons... not so much. I've only had spayed and neutered dogs, but that's because the shelter did that before I got them If I had a choice, for a pet animal, I definitely wouldn't. For ethical reasons but also for sexual ones though

my dog is 8 now with severe BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasty) and none of the vets including ones at the ER are willing or able to prescribe the only alternative to neutering him. It is a pharmaceutical called Finasteride and it is used in dogs and humans to treat the same condition. It disables the metabolic pathway that turns testosterone into dihydratestosterone or some shit that is directly linked to swelling of the prostate. I'm at my wits end about what to do about it and after much tears I have scheduled my boy for neuter in 3 weeks time. I feel like an incompetent monster being unable to find a solution that does not involve mutilation but i've already spent $1100 on vets only to get stupid shit everyone knows will not work. like antibiotics, probiotics, steroids and painkillers, xrays.

tldr I recommend not neutering and before your dog is 4 or 5 find a vet that knows what finasteride is, lest your dog become unable to poop. allegedly BPH happens in ~70%+ of intact male dogs, ~6+ years of age.

this to me only emphasizes the enormity of the neuter problem in today's veterinary world.

/sad

p.s. if you're in oregon and have a non-backwards vet, i'd love to hear about them. feel free to DM

Last edited:
Wow, hot topic going to toss my 2 cents in. As that applies to the male, and being male. Wouldn't want that done to me. But... as to dogs, there are way to many in shelters and being put down. Same with cats. Unless dog is a pure breed, from champion blood lines, and going to be used as a stud. Or a personal lover, who you will take full responsibility for any boo boos, going to have to say needs it. I don't like it but it's a sad fact that if not done to many wonderful animals have to be killed.

unless there is specific health reasons as to why a dog is to be neutered, I hate it. i have heard some breeds when desexed too early can cause cancer related problems and other stuff much later down the track so i would rather let them fully grow before even thinking about doing so

It's just another one of those things that's significantly worse for most animals than consensual interspecies sex, yet is paradoxically considered legally and morally acceptable by the general population simply because it would be inconvenient for them otherwise
Hear hear, it is often worse, especially for male animals to neuter due to the health implicstions in later life, obviously there is the risk of pyro in female canines but it is often a mutilation under the guise of convenience or behaviour modification, no one looks to neuter human teenagers when they start to get randy, it's just 'natural behaviour'

Ok so if everyone is so against the neutering, I am but considering it due to the aggressiveness and dominance issues it causing. I’ve tried everything under the Sun the the dog is just so stubborn. Everyone says fixing him will help and calm him down a bit.

Ok so if everyone is so against the neutering, I am but considering it due to the aggressiveness and dominance issues it causing. I’ve tried everything under the Sun the the dog is just so stubborn. Everyone says fixing him will help and calm him down a bit.
Neutering doesn't fix aggression even though that is commonly believed and recommended.
I suggest reading this paper, Aggression toward Familiar People, Strangers, and Conspecifics in Gonadectomized and Intact Dogs and recommend referring people who suggest that as a solution for aggression to read it. There are reasons to neuter, but aggression is not one of them.

From the paper:
... there is no evidence that gonadectomy at any age alters aggressive behavior toward familiar people or dogs, and there is only a minimal increase in aggression toward strangers.

I would recommend contacting a certified behaviorist, there are publications that cover the issue and recommended solutions.
I can give some references if you like, but agression is not a simple fix; it requires a solid understanding of behavior modification and rigorous methods or it can become dangerous and should not be attempted without a thorough understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of my male dogs are neutered, they show no aggression towards me or to each other , only to strangers are they alerted and aggressive to protect my place , but they are healthy, functioning well.

i probably said that at some point, but this "everyone says fixing him solves everything" bullshit is just surreal how spread it is even tho there are public studies (such as the one @egoldstein provided) of why it's simply not true.

Neutering doesn't fix aggression even though that is commonly believed and recommended.
I suggest reading this paper, Aggression toward Familiar People, Strangers, and Conspecifics in Gonadectomized and Intact Dogs and recommend referring people who suggest that as a solution for aggression to read it. There are reasons to neuter, but aggression is not one of them.

From the paper:

I would recommend contacting a certified behaviorist, there are publications that cover the issue and recommended solutions.
I can give some references if you like, but agression is not a simple fix; it requires a solid understanding of behavior modification and rigorous methods or it can become dangerous and should not be attempted without a thorough understanding.
I’m open to suggestions. I don’t really want to fix him.

Not a fan at all of neutering, it's something that is very gruesome when you think about it. I personally wouldn't let myself get neutered so why should I do it to my dog that I call a lifelong companion? Plus, in my experience I've seen many intact dogs that are far more calmer than their neutered counterparts so I think it's best to train your dog and since this is a open zoo place just "relieve" those horny hormones for them when they arise and you have balanced healthy doggy mind ☺️.

I’m open to suggestions. I don’t really want to fix him.

I would look for certified behaviorists in your area.
https://avsab.org/directory/

These should give a good overview of what to look for and what to look out for:

If you can't find any there, talk to the people at shelters, they often have some they work with. It can sometimes help to talk to people who aren't that close by, they may be aware of someone who's not active, but might be able to assist. Some will repeat what you've already been told, it's just the way information gets passed along, but if you share that paper with them anyone who continues to maintain that position without providing scientific evidence to the contrary should be disregarded...and if they do share such info, please reshare it here so we can all evaluate and benefit.

While certification doesn't mean they're the best, it does tend to set a level of expected understanding and quality, anyone can claim to be able to work with problems, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. Get references and anyone who's using force or talks about dominance should be avoided like the plague.

Failing all of that, one might need to learn how yourself, in which case I would refer you to read Brenda Aloff's "Aggression in dogs" and some of O'Heare's books on the subject as well as engaging with certified behaviorists online for more information and advice. This approach is not trivial and not recommened unless one is willing to make a serious investment into self education and advancement.

Edit: I'd like to add Donaldson's "Mine! A practical guide to resource guarding in dogs", that may or may not be at the root of your problems, but a similar structure and similar precautions apply and it's a good reference on such difficult to deal with topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are so many people that I come across in my life so interested in my dog's balls? I swear, everyone who lays eyes on my pup's sack asks the same question: "Are you going to get him neutered?" or "You haven't gotten him neutered yet?"

What an odd question...I've never thought to ask a dog owner something like that. Mind ya business people...

Why are so many people that I come across in my life so interested in my dog's balls?
People are really weird about dogs still having their balls because of many old beliefs associated with them. Most people will think you are breeding him, that you are uneducated/don't care about the potential health risks (stupid imo cause I can't imagine most animals, including myself would agree to castration at the idea of a slightly longer life) OR they assume you were just too lazy/poor to do it. People also think that an unaltered male will be more aggressive, which may only be true if an intact female is around. On top of all of that, most people have never seen an unaltered male, and the balls likely come as a surprise when they turn around.

My vet actually refused to give me 2 different meds for Boots until I got him fixed. I told her to fuck off as kindly as possible, and much more specifically that friends don't cut off their friends balls. (The assistants face was priceless) Now when I call to make an appointment, I ask if it's doctor so and so.. If it is, I then make a point to let them know I have zero interest in a vet that doesn't take my pets health seriously, and then reschedule for a day when she is not there.

People are really weird about dogs still having their balls because of many old beliefs associated with them.
I’m forced to wonder if these old beliefs had a lot to do with the profits to be made by performing these surgeries on animals. I can see ad campaigns for neutering your pets being funded by the folks profiting from the procedures. It’s hard not to see things through this lens.

I’m strongly resisting the urge to derail the conversation toward a parallel situation involving the paradoxical trust in pharmaceutical profit machines during the Covid pandemic…

Anyway…a little snip snip seems like a quick and easy way for a vet to make some good money.

In all this, my pup and I are blessed by his long, luscious, golden coat. While I’m not trying to hide his intactness, it is convenient that it’s not so on display as it could be. It helps with people minding their own business.

Why are so many people that I come across in my life so interested in my dog's balls? I swear, everyone who lays eyes on my pup's sack asks the same question: "Are you going to get him neutered?" or "You haven't gotten him neutered yet?"

What an odd question...I've never thought to ask a dog owner something like that. Mind ya business people...
First world problems lol
People here don't really care about neutering and see breeding as a good profit, but sadly the goverment is already doing free neutering campaigns. They have already claimed the balls of one of the very few dogs in my neighborhood.

Last edited:
First world problems lol
People here don't care about neutering and everyone sees breeding as a good profit, but sadly the goverment is already doing free neutering campaigns.
Ooohhhh snap, be careful when the government starts handing out free things haha!

You're stripping them of what is arguably life's most important organs just to force a gender less infantile furry baby in your home for Instagram likes. I don't believe in altering a natural animal at all. That includes docking ears

My dog is properly socialized. Imagine that. He can attend dog parks and meet new people and is never aggressive. I honestly don't know what neutering propaganda is even based off of anymore 😕

My family is much for neutering animals as a form of population and behavior control. I disagree, thinking neutering is pretty fucked up, because there are better alternatives like vasectomies or training your dog use a something else to mount on. When they need to release. (I’m just saying this because it’s not generally common for people to let dogs mount humans)

Idk, what are your opinions on this?
Don't unless medically nessicary

Just be aware that vets sometimes use the "medical necessarity" as a scarecrow. Even if there are health issues, spay/neuter is not a proper/required solution for most of them.

Back