Vets and Suspision

I had, asked why I would want to keep my boys balls. He was mutt and old
It seems like it's less common for them to be pushy than it used to. The current vet clinic I use during a routine checkup the vet sees the balls and feels them, no issues. Makes an off-hand comment about how she doesn't really push it anymore unless there's a medical need for it or the owner is reporting unplanned pregnancies.

I'm part of a nextdoor group where this lady was bitching that her current vet chastised her for neutering her german shepherd at 8 weeks. He apparently told her she should have waited a YEAR minimum due to all the hip issues that are a lot more common in those early neuters. He wanted to actually put the dog on supplemental hormones so he developed normally which she found abhorrent.

*shrug*

Luckily the vet i had for Diesel ( crossed the bridge 2 yrs ago ) didnt care he was intact. Nor did he worry when told he gets scraps of human food etc, long as he looked in good health was all he cared about. Diesel lived too 17.5 yrs old

I love this site....so grateful for it.
I've a question: I'm adopting a puppy girl soon, she's 5 weeks old. I'm concerned about explaining to a vet why I will not want to spay. Any ideas. I know it's a red flag for them. I don't believe in it, ethically.

But what about when she's older? Vets know when something has happened. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!
Charlie
Is your choice right? Maybe you overthink it too much

These are all pretty darn good excuses ..... It shouldn't be pushed on by anyone especially if it's not their lover .....

I've a question: I'm adopting a puppy girl soon, she's 5 weeks old. I'm concerned about explaining to a vet why I will not want to spay. Any ideas. I know it's a red flag for them. I don't believe in it, ethically.

But what about when she's older? Vets know when something has happened. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!
Charlie
See this is what I'm talking about with the new age.. my era: fuck what you think, this is my life, my animals, screw other's opinions.

You DO NOT have to give them reasons! If you feel like you have to... say: I don't believe nature intended to spay animals. Or: that is an invasive surgery, I don't want that.

ITS YOU'RE ANIMAL NOT THERE'S.

To those that don't have one!: Grow a spine!
I was gonna say grow some balls, but now days...
Well you care about my opinions as much as I care about yours.

Furthermore: I have never had a vet push the issue, however I am no push over. It's easy to sense.

I was asked once about my plans for spaying my female boxer.

I said: I might breed her.. nuff said, never asked again.

Like I have said b4: nullius in verba.
Means question authority!

Stop being sheep!

Last edited:
Honestly, just being like; “I don’t feel comfortable altering them like that” works well. If they continue to push just double down; “I feel it’s too invasive/not necessary.” Any vet should respect your choice, and while you may get asked every time you come in, as long as you are consistent nobody will think anything of it.

Honestly, just being like; “I don’t feel comfortable altering them like that” works well. If they continue to push just double down; “I feel it’s too invasive/not necessary.” Any vet should respect your choice, and while you may get asked every time you come in, as long as you are consistent nobody will think anything of it.
The only thing that I say in such a situation is that I'm against it in general and that's it. They have to respect my decision.

Luckily the vet i had for Diesel ( crossed the bridge 2 yrs ago ) didnt care he was intact. Nor did he worry when told he gets scraps of human food etc, long as he looked in good health was all he cared about. Diesel lived too 17.5 yrs old
Human food is bad enough for u.s humans with all the stuff we put In it lol, not judging at all just making a joke.

But seriously, I'm incredibly happy to hear your Diesel lived that long. Did you feed him any special or particular dog food that you could recommend?

Cant quantify but in my personal experience i know three
Know a Vet tech who I suspect but have such a good freindship with and this person's family knows my family, that I have chosen never to risk saying to much to see if im right all in the chance im wrong.

Thanks!
Charlie
I don't think theirs anyway for them to tell no worries!

Not to derail this thread but has anyone mentioned anal with dogs? Obviously if you're doing it right you're not going to be causing damage to the dog but would a vet otherwise be able to tell? Overtime if you're doing the deed on the regular there would be some sort of physical difference that a vet could get keen about no?

To anyone that thinks their vet does not know . . . .
Let me put it this way. I'm quite sure multiple vets I've used over time has known.
I think their stance is pretty much "don't ask, don't tell" particularly when you show concern of the animal's comfort & well being.

I'd hazard a guess that abusers aren't likely to take their animals to a vet

To anyone that thinks their vet does not know . . . .
Let me put it this way. I'm quite sure multiple vets I've used over time has known.
I think their stance is pretty much "don't ask, don't tell" particularly when you show concern of the animal's comfort & well being.

I'd hazard a guess that abusers aren't likely to take their animals to a vet

People become vets primarily because they care about animals. The time and work it takes to become a vet could make them a lot more money in lots of other fields, and in their practice they see lots of animals that are not treated well. I'm sure their opinion of owners is based almost entirely on how healthy and happy their animals are (and a little on whether they pay their bills).

When I got my male, my vets asked about neutering, and I said, "No, I don't plan on needlessly cutting parts off, especially with the new studies coming out" and he left it at that. When I adopted my female, he made a mention, and stated specifically, he's only mentioning it again because intact male and intact female, I responded with "gate" and he didn't push further.

Never got any abnormal responses on any visit just "they are a picture of health, and here's your obscene bill for their shots and checkup"

I never thought a vet would suspect I was active with my dog if I didnt spay or neuter. But I will admit that when I had my doberman girl I would put off vet visits after me and her had been active for a few years. To me I could tell she was a little loose looking down there. Being the lack of fur and a docked tail I just thought she was more noticable. I regret that tho. I really wish I had kept up with her health visits. I just didnt trust the vets. It was for other reason as well. Like prices. I feel like they just wanted get as much money out of me as possible. I've learned my lesson tho. Found a decent vet for my boy. And I will make sure to always take care of him medically no matter what

I think there is more health risks if an animal is spayed/neutered, lucky for me staying on a farm, nobody ever gave me any problems when I have an intacted dog or stallion , even if I have to take my dog, puppy to the clinic, or the vet comes out to check on my stallion if there's a serious emergency, it's none of their business, I am the owner, as we all are,the decision is ours to make, if you want to keep your dog intacted, you made up your mind about it and it's your decision. 😉

Just say that, that you don’t believe in it ethically. Any assumptions they may get from that are just that, assumptions

Unrelated to the spaying discussion but are there any veterinary resources (books, training materials, etc) that vets would be presented during university on how to identify if the owners are sexually active with their pets? Or is this something they learn from experience cause they notice that some dogs are always looser/bigger than normally even when outside of heat for a long time?

Unrelated to the spaying discussion but are there any veterinary resources (books, training materials, etc) that vets would be presented during university on how to identify if the owners are sexually active with their pets? Or is this something they learn from experience cause they notice that some dogs are always looser/bigger than normally even when outside of heat for a long time?
Thats a valid question. To be honest I haven't the slightest clue.
My situation might be rather unique I dunno. Iv only been with the two female dogs in my life one of which iv had for the last 14 years.
My girl had a traditional spay shortly after she was done nursing a litter of puppies but we have never had an issue. She may have been a tiny bit more swollen than normal for a day MAYBE two but iv never had even the slightest strange look from a vet even when she started getting older.
She has recently started having urinary incontinence and UTI issues so we no longer have intercourse but we still play around we finger and oral when she is in the mood.

Do other people actually care? It seems like none of their bussiness but the risks of the surgery are bad enough. I had a really bad experience with it in the past that caused the dog to become paralyzed and seriously ill. It may be rare but I don't wouldn't want to take the risk again.

As a zoo it is the first thing I think of. Is he is she playing eith the dog. Anyone else, if they think it they go into denial mode. Now, if the vet is a zoo, he may suspect but will remain proffesional. Do not over think it.

Good luck!

Last time I took my animals to the vet, I saw a guy there with his female dog’s girl bits very inflamed. I was like, buddy 👀? I told my bf that I was suspicious of him haha!

When I got my male, my vets asked about neutering, and I said, "No, I don't plan on needlessly cutting parts off, especially with the new studies coming out" and he left it at that. When I adopted my female, he made a mention, and stated specifically, he's only mentioning it again because intact male and intact female, I responded with "gate" and he didn't push further.

Never got any abnormal responses on any visit just "they are a picture of health, and here's your obscene bill for their shots and checkup"
I wish there were discrete vets ok with zoo.

I wish I could properly convey some of my advanced sexual knowledge of my doggos health issues...

Like how do you explain to your vet that your un-neutered older aged year old male is showing signs of prostate issues with bloody ejaculate these days =/

Early signs of health issues that you're aware of but any normal person would be clueless to =(

Back