Vets and Suspision

There's actually a growing no spay no neuter movement in the pet community now that the health drawbacks are appearing more and more. Now we're opting for vasectomy and ovary sparing spays. Spaying can actually increase cancer risk in dogs. Join the fb group called "ovary sparing spay and vasectomy info group." The breeder I was looking at actually said they were against spaying and neutering for health reasons and gave a link to a group of vets that would do vasectomies & ovary sparing spays instead. On their page they said:

In the best interest of our dogs we are now recommending that you have your dog altered in a way that retains your dogs sex hormones without the risk of reproduction. Ovary sparing spays and vasectomy are now available for dogs. These procedures can be done as early as eight-months of age.

ARIZONA​

Tom Phafman, DVM
Integrative Vet Med Center
615 W Deer Valley Rd #114
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 594-6758
Offers ovary sparing spay, ovariectomy, vasectomy.

The above link will take you to a list of veternarians across the United States that perform sex hormone spay and vasectomy procedures.

There's actually a growing no spay no neuter movement in the pet community now that the health drawbacks are appearing more and more. Now we're opting for vasectomy and ovary sparing spays. Spaying can actually increase cancer risk in dogs. Join the fb group called "ovary sparing spay and vasectomy info group." The breeder I was looking at actually said they were against spaying and neutering for health reasons and gave a link to a group of vets that would do vasectomies & ovary sparing spays instead. On their page they said:

In the best interest of our dogs we are now recommending that you have your dog altered in a way that retains your dogs sex hormones without the risk of reproduction. Ovary sparing spays and vasectomy are now available for dogs. These procedures can be done as early as eight-months of age.

ARIZONA​

Tom Phafman, DVM
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 594-6758

The above link will take you to a list of veternarians across the United States that perform sex hormone spay and vasectomy procedures.
Thanks. Excellent resource.

ARIZONA​

Tom Phafman, DVM
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 594-6758

Thanks for sharing web site. It's an excellent resource.
I've never had push back from vet when the de-sexing inquiry is presented and I say no thanks. Question has been for every dog I've owned. Let's hope one day its not a standard procedure.

ARIZONA​

Tom Phafman, DVM
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 594-6758

I wouldn't recommend an ovary sparing spay for anybody whose dog may still have sexual intercourse regardless of human or dog. Just keep intact and keep an eye out for pyometra and know the warning signs of it. A lot of dogs are left intact, there's a lot more research on health benefits of leaving dogs intact as well as personal beliefs partcularly in working dog communities.

It's as simple as saying you'd like to keep her intact, don't believe in removing the extra organs and you're responsible enough to keep her from accidentally getting pregnant.

I love this site....so grateful for it.
I've a question: I'm adopting a puppy girl soon, she's 5 weeks old. I'm concerned about explaining to a vet why I will not want to spay. Any ideas. I know it's a red flag for them. I don't believe in it, ethically.

But what about when she's older? Vets know when something has happened. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!
Charlie

I would tell the vet. My dog my choice dont like it then ill go elsewhere

Human and dog cum has a noticeable difference in consistency and production, though. And come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen dog cum dribble out of their vagina like a human's would. If anyone who's bred dogs before knows whether this is true or not, I'm quite interested.
I wonder if a ladies gynecologist knows ?

I love this site....so grateful for it.
I've a question: I'm adopting a puppy girl soon, she's 5 weeks old. I'm concerned about explaining to a vet why I will not want to spay. Any ideas. I know it's a red flag for them. I don't believe in it, ethically.

But what about when she's older? Vets know when something has happened. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!
Charlie
I was pre-vet (had to not do vet school because of cost of school). But not spaying is not a red flag for vets (at least in the US). Its your right not to spay. You can always say you are worried about reprecussions and want to think about it. But at the end of the day if the vet gives you shit about it, there are other vets .

Not just vets but other people in general. Every time I'm around someone or just out walking my dog I feel slightly paranoid someone might know when my dog sneakily licks my inner thigh, or if he's just plain horny and his cocks swollen in his sheathe, poking out an inch or so
I'd be wondering. I always do these days. Be even better knowing I was right. ;-)

I've used two things together.

1. The idea of mutilating my dog is just weird to me.
-- Insert scripted vet response about preventing diseases...
2. Well, if I cut out my colon, I'll never get colon cancer, will I?

However, pyometra is a condition that can occur naturally to the whole heat process. 1 in 4 dogs will just get it, outside of our preferred activities. If you properly sanitize yourself to help prevent infection, she'll usually come out ok. My dog got it herself, and it was EX-FUCKING-SPENSIVE. I highly recommend pet insurance because what would have been a $5,000 bill ended up being around $500-600 at the end. Some high end vet clinics will have laproscopic options available, which only remove ovaries, but for our lifestyle, and your dog's size, this shouldn't even be an option until after about 3 years to make sure they develop fully. An emergency pyometra spay removes the same amount as a regular spay, and I can no longer go the distance that I once could, which is another reason why you should only have a pet if you can also truly love them as a pet, and not just a lover.

All that said, I've never had any suspicion because I don't emit any. There are lots of reasons to be against altering your pet (as others said, stating that you wish them develop naturally and may wish to breed them in the future, is a great way to go too) and as long you give your lady a few days pause and don't spray her up before the vet visit, you should be alright. I've seen leaking a day or two after fun, so DEFINITELY don't want that showing up at the vet.

Hell, you could even go on a rant about how God designed us all in a perfect manner and you don't believe in altering God's creations, blah, blah, blah. The God talk usually gets eyerolls pretty quick and people usually shut down after that, lol.

The anti-Veterinarian sentiment here is disturbing. You think Veterinarians take on massive student debt, a decade + schooling, long work days under stressful situations all while getting paid less than a human doc if they don't love animals?

They don't push spays and neuters for selfish desire. They do it as a matter of health. It's a GENERAL recommendation because the GENERAL public is uneducated on why it can be important and/or don't care for their animals in such a way that would mitigate the enhanced risks associated with remaining intact (both behavioral and health related).

On the contrary, since we know that spayed and neutered dogs tend to live longer than intact dogs, I'd argue it's more evil to keep your dog intact just so you can fuck them.
Wow. We got the "Party line" here. We're getting into an time where some objective science may be done on this, though.

Interesting. My vet thinks that the evidence is showing a lot of health problems associated with neutering. Particularly cancer. A neutered dog may not get testicular or prostate cancer, but can succumb to other types.

Granted, my personal experience is not science. But it is interesting. I have lost about a dozen neutered dogs to cancer over the decades. My two dogs that were not neutered were very healthy and lived long lives. When asked if I should neuter one of them, I responded that I liked him and his personality fine. End of discussion. Neutering does not always cause desirable personality changes.

In the United States, we seem to be particularly lame at controlling the population of dogs and cats. The number of dogs and cats we euthanize is shameful. For the majority, spaying and neutering is likely for the greater good. That is a reason I can support the practice. I do not support it for the dogmatic and potentially outmoded reasons you give.

To all out there, go ahead and flame away. I have well over the legal limit of dogs in my house. If they weren't here, they'd probably be dead. Most of them are head cases. To be clear, they are here to live their best lives, nothing more. Every day, I see what effect laziness and stupidity has on our animal friends.

It’s not. But many vets recommend you get you pets fixed. I like that it has never been mentioned.
define "many".. or "where" to be precise. i mean, i've never been asked by any vet i've ever been at why any of my boys are intact hence my confusion with it being something to "love" a vet for. seems to be the norm around here....

maybe american thing? mutilation seems to be pushed the hardest over there so i guess a vet not trying to push it there might be worth some praise.

define "many".. or "where" to be precise. i mean, i've never been asked by any vet i've ever been at why any of my boys are intact hence my confusion with it being something to "love" a vet for. seems to be the norm around here....

maybe american thing? mutilation seems to be pushed the hardest over there so i guess a vet not trying to push it there might be worth some praise.
Yes, America. Where most of the human population should also be neutered.

Never have I had any problem with my vet as he worked with me at the Zoo, and he also had an AMA certification and a few other surgical expertise well as molecular genetics. Brilliant guy, he said this clearly, "The reproductive surgery to reduce the population as you know is more of a control of having two separate areas for males and females and one area for them to meet in the community area. You have suggested the same be done unto Humans before and it is an entertaining idea, but this is where it should stay as an entertaining idea, not viability. Think only selected humans would be released into communal areas whenever they are in heat or in need of companionship."

Hey I'm a vet assistant I don't think people realize how common it is that people don't spay and neuter their pets so no it's really not a red flag

Hey I'm a vet assistant I don't think people realize how common it is that people don't spay and neuter their pets so no it's really not a red flag

Is it common for people in the veterinary profession to be into zoo as well? I noticed you're a VA and I'm studying to become a VA so I wonder if it's more common than people think.

Is it common for people in the veterinary profession to be into zoo as well? I noticed you're a VA and I'm studying to become a VA so I wonder if it's more common than people think.
I also used to know someone who was a vet, or vet assistant, I met through one of these forums. Up until we met she hadn't done anything but did and it seemed got very active after we stopped talking. Although it seemed it was outside her profession.

Back