Sex Just After Heat - Yes or No?

FloofyNewfie

The Floofy Administrator
Staff member
This is a bit of a weird question. So, normally for this type of question I'd go to my two trusted zoo friends. Both have a lot of expirence. But on this question their answers actually conflict.

One friends says that I should wait 7 days after a heat cycle has finished before I start fucking her again. This is due to an increased risk of pyo.

The other friend says that as long as I wash/clean off my dick prior to sex, I should be fine to have sex with her. That the risk of pyo should not be increased by doing so.

Of course I'm going to be very careful, sexual gratification is not worth risking my girl's health. But as a general rule, who should I believe?

I'm not sure if 7 days is enough, it's hard to judge the timing. I think it is very individual how easily a particular dog gets infections, some have seemingly bulletproof immune systems, some get "open" pyo where you can see a white discharge and get it treated before it becomes dangerous while other gets "closed" pyos where the infection grows inside her uterus with no visible signals before she gets a fever and get really sick.
I tried to give my girl a whole months rest but she still needed antibiotics from time to time as she got older. Eventually I had her spayed as the vet recommended to reduce the stress of heat cycles on her old body because she started getting infections after every single heat.

Trim and groom her fur around the vulva and pay close attention to her behaviour and temperature is my recommendation. And wash your dick and more importantly your hands and fingers before each session no matter where she is in her heat cycle.

I'm not sure if 7 days is enough, it's hard to judge the timing. I think it is very individual how easily a particular dog gets infections, some have seemingly bulletproof immune systems, some get "open" pyo where you can see a white discharge and get it treated before it becomes dangerous while other gets "closed" pyos where the infection grows inside her uterus with no visible signals before she gets a fever and get really sick.
I tried to give my girl a whole months rest but she still needed antibiotics from time to time as she got older. Eventually I had her spayed as the vet recommended to reduce the stress of heat cycles on her old body because she started getting infections after every single heat.

Trim and groom her fur around the vulva and pay close attention to her behaviour and temperature is my recommendation. And wash your dick and more importantly your hands and fingers before each session no matter where she is in her heat cycle.
Hmm... so there is a possibility of her getting pyo just after heat, but it would be hard to determine for the individual canine?

Also, I always do. I always wash my hands thoroughly and rinse off my dick before each session. The first zoo also suggested I could use hibiclens to wash up before a session.

Not sure... I dont keep count shes been with me for at least 8 years (or something i dont keep exact count) all i know is she hasnt hit a illness
About the same with the second zoo I know. He's had his girl for 8 years and has never had a problem with fucking her just out of heat. But it could be that you two have just been lucky thus far.

About the same with the second zoo I know. He's had his girl for 8 years and has never had a problem with fucking her just out of heat. But it could be that you two have just been lucky thus far.
I mean she literally never got sick like ever. Idk whats with her immune system. Im glad her immune is strong.

I have always waited two to four weeks after heat with my K9 loves, none ever had an infection that I know of. My first lab did suffer from pyro shortly after I took her in as a stray and was spayed but her history before I found her is unknown.

My labradane I have had close to eight years now and she has yet to so much as have a cold, which is more than I can say for my last GSD.

I am a K9 and equine zoo, and have had at least one of each for the last twenty five years.

Last edited:
I have always waited two to four weeks after heat with my K9 loves, none ever had an infection that I know of. My first lab did suffer from pyro shortly after I took her in as a stray and was spayed but her history before I found her is unknown.

My labradane I have had close to eight years now and she has yet to so much as have a cold, which is more than I can say for my last GSD.

I am a K9 and equine zoo, and have had at least one of each for the last twenty five years.
So far my Newfie girl has been very healthy. But it's hard to say how strong her immune system is. I got her late last year in November. She's also in heat now, but what worries me a bit is that she went into heat about 1-2 months earlier than expected. I'm definitely going to need to keep an eye on that.

For the first five years I had my labradane her heats were like clockwork, week of Xmas and July 4th vacation, the last three years she is all over the place, her last was in late Jan and the one before that in mid August, my husky/malamute only had one heat every ten months or so, each one I have had was way different as to the timing of their heats.

For the first five years I had my labradane her heats were like clockwork, week of Xmas and July 4th vacation, the last three years she is all over the place, her last was in late Jan and the one before that in mid August, my husky/malamute only had one heat every ten months or so, each one I have had was way different as to the timing of their heats.
That's interesting, because I've heard the opposite was true. That normally heat cycles can vary when younger, but start to become more regular with age. But every dog is different.

That's interesting, because I've heard the opposite was true. That normally heat cycles can vary when younger, but start to become more regular with age. But every dog is different.
I have heard the thing, never bred dogs however so I can't say I know much more than what I have seen from the four I have had as lovers over the years.

My golden retriever was likely the closest to normal of them all with random heats her first few years then steady as she aged.

I always wait 6 days after heat myself but each dog is different. I've seen some fine with the day after sex with no problem and I've seen dogs get infections weeks after.

i'd wait at least couple of weeks - its not called the danger period for nothing

This is a bit of a weird question. So, normally for this type of question I'd go to my two trusted zoo friends. Both have a lot of expirence. But on this question their answers actually conflict.

One friends says that I should wait 7 days after a heat cycle has finished before I start fucking her again. This is due to an increased risk of pyo.

The other friend says that as long as I wash/clean off my dick prior to sex, I should be fine to have sex with her. That the risk of pyo should not be increased by doing so.

Of course I'm going to be very careful, sexual gratification is not worth risking my girl's health. But as a general rule, who should I believe?
I never heard anything about the 7day wait.

I would, like you prefer caution.
I don't like the smell of my k9 in heat so I cut myself off.. Like I am doing now as a matter of fact! She is in heat now. So good info for me thanx! I'll wait longer Maby 2wks just 2 b safe

I have to keep a doggie diaper and a pad on her so my boy don't make me more puppies.

I would say just keep doing what you are doing. Keep clean b4 you do the deed.

I usually don't even cum in my girl, I try to keep her as clean as I can.

And good on ya for using your friends exp!

I take a shower and use a condom
after her heat for about 7 days. I also do not finger her for 7 days after. She had Pyo once before my I made the change.

The risk of pyometra increases with age in the intact bitch due to changes in her uterus. Infection is more commonly caused by the presence of faecal bacteria ie. E. Coli.

Keep yourself (and her) clean and hygienic definitely helps to reduce the risk, but it doesn't eliminate the risk altogether.

On the best practical solution working as a veterinarian:
If she was mine, I'll get her sterilised surgically with a hysterectomy (Ovary-Sparring Spay or OSS), to remove just her uterus and preserve her ovaries. It brings the risk of pyometra to negligible. She couldn't get pregnant anyhow, even if an intact male dog mates and ties with her. She will still cycle and come into season, and you can ejaculate inside her without worrying about contaminating the insides of her reproductive tract with potential pathogens.

Not many vets around the world do this procedure but it might be worth asking around. ;)

The risk of pyometra increases with age in the intact bitch due to changes in her uterus. Infection is more commonly caused by the presence of faecal bacteria ie. E. Coli.

Keep yourself (and her) clean and hygienic definitely helps to reduce the risk, but it doesn't eliminate the risk altogether.

On the best practical solution working as a veterinarian:
If she was mine, I'll get her sterilised surgically with a hysterectomy (Ovary-Sparring Spay or OSS), to remove just her uterus and preserve her ovaries. It brings the risk of pyometra to negligible. She couldn't get pregnant anyhow, even if an intact male dog mates and ties with her. She will still cycle and come into season, and you can ejaculate inside her without worrying about contaminating the insides of her reproductive tract with potential pathogens.

Not many vets around the world do this procedure but it might be worth asking around. ;)
I've thought about an OSS, because I know a zoo who has a girl with one, and she's still quite receptive and slutty. But if a could I'd get a tubal ligation. But this procedure is even rarer and usually costs $1,000s of dollars. How much of the tract is left usually during an OSS?

To do it properly, all of her uterus needs to be removed (as much as possible). This involve cutting away tissue to the point of her cervix or some of her cervical structure. This is to prevent any potential uterine remnants enough to cause a stump pyometra.

A tubal ligation only prevents her ovulated eggs from getting into the uterine tubes and prevent her from getting pregnant. It will not decrease the risk of a pyometra.

To do it properly, all of her uterus needs to be removed (as much as possible). This involve cutting away tissue to the point of her cervix or some of her cervical structure. This is to prevent any potential uterine remnants enough to cause a stump pyometra.

A tubal ligation only prevents her ovulated eggs from getting into the uterine tubes and prevent her from getting pregnant. It will not decrease the risk of a pyometra.
Slightly off this topic but very much related...after a correctly performed OSS is there in your opinion a large risk with allowing the bitch to mate with a similar size dog? As in same breed? I see much talk on the "book of faces" advising to avoid a tie at all costs (and this is the advice regularly given in the OSS & vas group) but then occasionally see someone state that they allow their dog to tie with their OSS'd girl when she is in heat without issue...

I've watched a few surgeries on my own boys and girls over the years, most recently a surgical AI (followed by the obligatory cesarean to remove the one dead pup:cry:) on one of my girls but I still have a little trouble trying to picture just how far a dog might penetrate and if removing the cervix shortens the vaginal canal so much that there is a significant risk of a rupture during a natural mating...everything seems closer together in there than I'd have thought :unsure:

That's a good question!
There might be some degree of scarring on the cervix when the cervix heals in time. This may cause contracture or narrowing of the upper vaginal canal near her cervix. I reckon that will be a small degree of shortening of her vagina but I don't have the sample size to know at this stage. You can try and perhaps measure her vaginal canal with a lubricated ruler and see how far it goes?

I've not found activity during or after heat cycle to be much of a concern, but cleanliness is of ultra importance at anytime. Particularly for those of us who happen to be fully uncut!
I believe that our jiz would be considered a foreign matter when introduced balls deep during and up to 2 months after her cycle has finished, about the time of her false pregnancy. Being our temp differences are not conducive for impregnation, our stuff can just sit in there, die, & cause probs. Hence I tend to pull out when shooting off. I don't feel much concern about shooting off just inside the vulva lips, just not deep in.
Also, the risks do increase considerably in older bitches. Once they cross 8 yrs, I become double cautious & vigilant.

Just my 2 bits from experience.

There is no data on the connection between the development of pyometers and the period of inactivation of bitches. (I do not know about this, at least). Risk factors include age, and the individual characteristics of a particular animal, as was correctly noted above.
What fundamental changes do you think should happen in seven days? =)
At one time I did differently, in my opinion the difference there is more likely in other aspects. In particular, in behavioral, and in chastity development fake pregnancy.
But if you really want a steady inactivation period for the bitch, 7 days is too short. A period of several months might be appropriate.

There is no data on the connection between the development of pyometers and the period of inactivation of bitches. (I do not know about this, at least). Risk factors include age, and the individual characteristics of a particular animal, as was correctly noted above.
What fundamental changes do you think should happen in seven days? =)
At one time I did differently, in my opinion the difference there is more likely in other aspects. In particular, in behavioral, and in chastity development fake pregnancy.
But if you really want a steady inactivation period for the bitch, 7 days is too short. A period of several months might be appropriate.
Yeah, it's hard to find concrete information about the proper way to have sex with your dog, when relating to anything that isn't general information.

Well, it takes about 7ish days for the cervix to close after heat. That's the main thing I was warned about. I was told to give some time for the cervix to close and then resume sexual activities, by one of my trusted friends.

Last edited:
i think its probably up to how safe you want to be. There's literally no harm in waiting those 7 days outside of just not getting to have sex with your dog

Rule of thumb, wait a week before the heat ends and a week after it ends to give the uterus time to "flush" and close the cervix. If cum is stuck inside of the uterus and the cervix closes without expelling it, she could get a pyometra

I've had a case of an open pyometra once while I was working as an assistant in a vet and it was from dog mating

Back