OSS and a resuced sex drive?

FloofyNewfie

The Floofy Administrator
Staff member
So, for right now my Newfoundland girl is unaltered. I've been kicking around the idea about get an Ovary Sparing Spay done when she reaches the age of 6 (she's 3 right now) Even in the times when I am not constantly making love to her, she's always has a strong musky vaginal smell. I fear she may be a prime candidate for Pyometra, since I don't plan on breeding her.... with another dog that it. ;)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with OSSs? Did you notice behavioral changes? Like being less in the mood for sex? Getting more anxious/aggressive?

Any physical changes like getting vaginally tighter? Coat changes?

Bump on this because im in the same position as you and Id like to know.
So far I've heard one testimony from a guy who's in the same trusted zoos chatroom that I'm in, so I'm certain I can trust his word. He has a malamute that got an OSS and he states that it didn't make a difference. She can still take a large cock, and is just as much of a slut as she was before the surgery.

I've heard two claims on here stating the opposite...

1) If the surgery isn't done "correctly," it can leave the vagina shallow. (I'm not sure why they would want to do this? They still go into heat and if an owner is not closely watching his dog the dog could get penetrated by another male dog. Which would cause injury.)

2) I cannot remember who it was, but a user on here claimed he got an OSS on his girl and it greatly reduced her sex drive.

If the surgery isn't done "correctly," it can leave the vagina shallow. (I'm not sure why they would want to do this? They still go into heat and if an owner is not closely watching his dog the dog could get penetrated by another male dog. Which would cause injury.)

Yes, so hard to find info on this (I’ve been searching for years, no joke).
I do have family in the veterinary field and I could potentially get more info from them about how their hospital performs OSS but I’m afraid to ask too many questions.

As far as I’ve been able to tell, the ideal procedure would leave the cervix intact in order to prevent internal organs from getting pushed out (sorry for the graphic images that may conjure) so her vagina wouldn’t be shortened. I have read not all vets do leave the cervix though because you have to make a really precise cut at the uterus so there’s no risk of stump pyometrea.

I do have faith that the procedure would still leave a female able to have sex because I used to volunteer at a wolf sanctuary that did OSS on their female wolves so that they could mate without producing pups and males got VS for the same reason.

I’m planning to do OSS when the time comes since the breeder I’m getting my puppy from will probably require spaying and to reduce the risk of infections 🤮

Yes, so hard to find info on this (I’ve been searching for years, no joke).
I do have family in the veterinary field and I could potentially get more info from them about how their hospital performs OSS but I’m afraid to ask too many questions.
It sucks that the information is so scarce. I've talked with one zoo veterinarian and he seems to actually advocate against the procedure. I've thought about reaching out to the user 1000Extra who is a vet and a zoo. But 1) I don't want to pester him with medical questions. and 2) He hasn't logged into ZooVille in almost 3 months.

As far as I’ve been able to tell, the ideal procedure would leave the cervix intact in order to prevent internal organs from getting pushed out (sorry for the graphic images that may conjure) so her vagina wouldn’t be shortened. I have read not all vets do leave the cervix though because you have to make a really precise cut at the uterus so there’s no risk of stump pyometrea.
You don't have to worry about being too graphic. I actually got curious and watched a surgical video about how the surgery is done. They basically make an incision, carefully remove the organs in question. Make the cuts, sew, and then put the remaining bits back in the body then close the incision. Gruesome stuff for those that are not actually in the medical field. But it was something I wanted to know for my own education.

I do have faith that the procedure would still leave a female able to have sex because I used to volunteer at a wolf sanctuary that did OSS on their female wolves so that they could mate without producing pups and males got VS for the same reason.
I'm almost certain that I'll still be able to mate with my girl after the procedure. My girl's vagina is actually VERY deep as it stands. But I do wonder if it'll maybe make her tighter, and I do wonder if it'll decrease her sex drive, particularly when she's not in heat. She's pretty much back to asking me for sex everyday now. But I wonder if I do an OSS if that'll still be the case?

I’m planning to do OSS when the time comes since the breeder I’m getting my puppy from will probably require spaying and to reduce the risk of infections 🤮
Hopefully you'll find a vet around your area that is willing to do one. I think the last time I looked, in my particular area I'm looking at a 2.5 hour drive to a remote vet that advertises doing OSS's. IIRC you're wanting a GSD? Usually, it depends on whether or not you're willing to pay for those AKC papers. A lot of times if you do not get them registered and papered they will indeed require a spay contract, or they'll be spayed before they are handed over to you. If you can get the papers, expect to pay $200-$1,000 more, depending on the "quality" of the bloodline.

You could also shop around and inquire about it. I've mentioned this before, but you could always fake a religious reason to why you do not want them altered. Such as "As a person of moral religious faith, I believe it to be against God's will to alter your pets by playing God yourself and removing organs he intended to be on/in them. I will do so only if the medical need is to arise as that's what I believe his will is to be."

I will be awaiting the day for you (or anyone) @FloofyNewfie to be the first active canine zoophile to pull back the curtain on this mystery that has cause so much anxiety and confusion.

Btw the breed of shepherd I’m getting is not AKC recognized (🙏) so thankfully no obligation to conform to their bullshit rules.

There is a simple solution to the spay contract issue. Simply find someone you know that is looking to have a female dog spayed. Offer to pay for the procedure and keep the papers or get a copy. Everybody gets what they want....

I'm still afraid that surgery could still remove the cervix and the vaginal canal will get too short. And it makes sense the female could get hurt if that happen and then they have sex with a bigger dog.

There is a simple solution to the spay contract issue. Simply find someone you know that is looking to have a female dog spayed. Offer to pay for the procedure and keep the papers or get a copy. Everybody gets what they want....

How is that spay contract really a thing? How can they force you to do something to somebody that is already your "property" and months/years later? What happend if you just don't care and tell them to fuck themselves?

How is that spay contract really a thing? How can they force you to do something to somebody that is already your "property" and months/years later? What happend if you just don't care and tell them to fuck themselves?
They'll take you to court and either sue for the dog back, or sue you for the "x" amount of money specified in the contract itself. Basically, these contract work similar to any other contract. An example would be...

"You have 60 days to provide me with vet paperwork proving you have spayed/neutered the dog I have sold to you on 12/06/2020. (I will call the vet to make sure your vet papers are legitimate.) If you do not provide me with this evidence I will either take the dog in question back, or I will be given the amount of $800 in compensation for breech of contract. If you agree to these terms of this contract please sign and date here: ______ __/__/____"

1) If the surgery isn't done "correctly," it can leave the vagina shallow. (I'm not sure why they would want to do this? They still go into heat and if an owner is not closely watching his dog the dog could get penetrated by another male dog. Which would cause injury.)

If you're leaving the ovaries, any remaining uterine tissue will lead to increased risk of stump pyometra. That's why, if done "correctly", the recommendation is to REMOVE the cervix, and the vagina will be left "shallower". The bitch will still attract and stand for males, and will DEFINITELY be at risk for injury if mated by a dog, especially if the dog is "big".
The organs will not come inside out if you remove the cervix. The canal is ligated and it will scar and heal into a cul-de-sac. I haven't seen anything regarding increased incidence of prolapse.

It sucks that the information is so scarce. I've talked with one zoo veterinarian and he seems to actually advocate against the procedure. I've thought about reaching out to the user 1000Extra who is a vet and a zoo. But 1) I don't want to pester him with medical questions. and 2) He hasn't logged into ZooVille in almost 3 months.
I can see why vets wouldn't regularly recommend this procedure, but given the local common interests it's obvious why people here would want to know more about it. Why did your first vet advise against it?
I'm sure other people have the same questions you do about this, so if you've got any specific questions I say go ahead and post them!

Let me try answering the ones you initially asked...
-Behavioral changes => shouldn't be any
-Being less in the mood for sex=> from hormonal standpoint, it shouldn't make a difference. However, if sex feels different or uncomfortable to her after the surgery, she may not enjoy it as much. I'm guessing this is usually not a problem if you wait 'till everything is healed. It's probably different with every individual and one of those "you'll only find out for sure when you try" things. You won't find much info about this out there specifically for dogs, but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to look at the effect of hysterectomy without ovariectomy on women's libido, which overall doesn't seem to be negative.
-Getting more anxious/aggressive=> shouldn't make a difference
-Any physical changes like getting vaginally tighter=> don't see why this would happen (it wouldn't be "narrower", just "not as deep")
-Coat changes = > This one is usually associated with regular version of spaying, the coat should be preserved if the ovaries are spared (and functioning normally).

I'll take the liberty to add what I feel are implied questions.
-Will she be at lower risk for pyometra: Yes. But if there's any remaining trace uterine tissue, she could get stump pyometra. Also, because this isn't a standard arrangement, if she ever did get issues like endocrine disorders, unexplained vaginal discharge or stump pyometra, it'd likely be harder for your vet to diagnose and treat.
-Can she still have sex:
- with another dog, there are risks of serious injury and death, so that's definitely not recommended.​
- Weather she will accommodate you in the same manner she does now, or feel shallower or tighter, is probably something you will have to discover if you go through with this option, but if you can imagine her vagina ending just before her cervix, and if you can picture yourself not ramming it in there such as to cause injury, it'll give you and idea if it could realistically work out or not. Maybe someone with first hand experience will report back here one day?​
- What's the best option for my dog: OSS? Spaying her at age X? Spaying her only if she gets pyo? Honestly, not sure there's an absolute right or a wrong answer. Obviously, OSS won't guarantee she never gets sick, or never needs a second procedure to get her ovaries removed (if she has hormone responsive conditions like mammary tumors for example), or always remains "open for business" (and I know that's not your main priority Floofy but I'm putting it in there anyway in case someone else reads this far), but it does seem like a decent attempt to stave off pyo and prolong her active (not-with-dogs-)sex life. I do think spaying her before she has a chance to get pyo is the simplest, most cost effective approach, but it will have major effects on her libido and anatomy. If you end up leaving her intact, just make sure you watch for pyo and mammary tumors, and can care for her if she gets that.
Hope that's at least a bit helpful

So, for right now my Newfoundland girl is unaltered. I've been kicking around the idea about get an Ovary Sparing Spay done when she reaches the age of 6 (she's 3 right now) Even in the times when I am not constantly making love to her, she's always has a strong musky vaginal smell. I fear she may be a prime candidate for Pyometra, since I don't plan on breeding her.... with another dog that it. ;)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with OSSs? Did you notice behavioral changes? Like being less in the mood for sex? Getting more anxious/aggressive?

Any physical changes like getting vaginally tighter? Coat changes?
Just saying when my girl left me shes (idk) 15 or 16 years old she didnt have any issues so imo theres nothing to worry about. Just do regular check-ups and her having a strong immune system should do it majority of the time.

How do you feel about another dog breeding/mating with her? Your views on it

Considering getting an OSS for my great pyrenees. General consensus is to not spay them until 2 years old to help with their luxating patella issues. Any new developments in data on OSS for large breed dogs that have health issues you can mitigate by waiting to spay? OSS appeals to us because she can continue to have her hormones

Back