My plans went out the window

The universe can be cruel at times. I knew my girl's momma had a litter a while back, evidenced by her sagging and enlarged teats. Driving back home from a trip to the store, I found a puppy dead in the road, who looked exactly like how my girl's brother did at that age, around three months old. Poor girl must've been hit by a car. It was incredibly difficult to carry her lifeless body into my yard and give her a proper burial. I just wonder how things could've been different for her if I had only had the chance to rescue her while she was still alive.

A difficult thing to see. The dead are at least beyond the reach of further cruelty; I hope the burial brought you some comfort.

Indeed, from a nature point of view, having six puppies and get one to survive is already a good deal.
And a deal you did help achieve by keeping the one you have home.

From a human point of view, any life truncated that young is surely desolating, specially if it is not anonymous but you know who the mother was 😓

The universe can be cruel at times. I knew my girl's momma had a litter a while back, evidenced by her sagging and enlarged teats. Driving back home from a trip to the store, I found a puppy dead in the road, who looked exactly like how my girl's brother did at that age, around three months old. Poor girl must've been hit by a car. It was incredibly difficult to carry her lifeless body into my yard and give her a proper burial. I just wonder how things could've been different for her if I had only had the chance to rescue her while she was still alive.
Aww how awful! Sorry you had to be the witness of such a terrible thing. But good on ya for being so kind to the pup in death. yer truly and awesome person me thinks. I hope karma does something really awesome for you. I hope things are much better today and through the rest of the week. * friendly supportive hugs to yas!*

I feel your sadness. Unfortunately, the world is a cruel place more times than we'd like to admit. Take heart that you have one of her siblings with you, and she, at least, will have an absolutely wonderful life... full of love, joy, laughter and above all else, a very safe place to live out her long life, with you at her side.

Good Karma surrounds you... 🐕

Had another routine checkup for my girl today. She weighs 43 pounds! Just 6 shy of her predicted weight. Crazy how fast she's growing! Just a few months until she turns a year old which is absolutely insane to me!
Wonderful! And at 12 to 18 months they're often considered adults, depending on the breed... 🐕

I haven't seen my girl's dog family in a month.
The squad used to come around nearly daily for food. There were adult dogs, dogs my girl's age, and a newer litter of puppies. The last night I saw them, I heard a bunch of gunshots later on in the evening, after they left. I haven't seen them since
The family who owns a meat factory near me is known for putting out food scraps and lacing then with poison, I wouldn't put it past them to do this.
I really hope this wasn't the case and they just found a nicer place to roam, but I really can't get that feeling out of the back of my mind. I've seen no dogs at all.

If you have no information and are unlikely to ever get any, you may as well assume the best. Could be somebody took them in as pets, so they've no reason to return anymore.

As much as we would like to plan the perfect life for our mates, sometimes a dog finds you when you werent expecting it. Youre doing a wonderful job despite the terrible moment with her sibling. The mother knew the world was cruel and tragic and likely had almost lost hope, until she found you, a kind hearted animal lover who could take care of her baby.

If you have no information and are unlikely to ever get any, you may as well assume the best. Could be somebody took them in as pets, so they've no reason to return anymore.
They were afraid of humans and wouldn't even let anyone touch them, so I'm doubtful of that.

There's a kind of person who looks for that type of dog, taking on the most badly adjusted on purpose because they know nobody else will.
I do have some good news...my girl's sister came by last night. This is the first time I've seen a dog come by since they all stopped showing up. I still don't know where all the others are though.
Screenshot_20231104_052644_Ring.jpg

Welp...I'm at a new crossroads.

My girl's mama got pregnant again and now I have one of her puppies... making her my girl's half sister. She's probably about 6-8 weeks old, if I had to make a guess. She has teeth and can eat solid food.

Now here comes my dilemma. I had bought a house early last month, and later in the month, rescued a neglected 8-year old retired breeder Golden Retriever.

My plan was to wait a year or 2 before adding my 3rd and final dog, and I was hoping for that dog to be a German Shepherd between the ages of 6 months and 2 years.

When I brought home this puppy yesterday, my plan was to do what I was originally going to do with my now 15 month old girl who this whole thread is about, and find her a new home, but I'm afraid that the same thing is going to end up happening.

Should I find this puppy a new home after getting her wormed and vaccinated, or should I keep her?

Welp...I'm at a new crossroads.

My girl's mama got pregnant again and now I have one of her puppies... making her my girl's half sister. She's probably about 6-8 weeks old, if I had to make a guess. She has teeth and can eat solid food.

Now here comes my dilemma. I had bought a house early last month, and later in the month, rescued a neglected 8-year old retired breeder Golden Retriever.

My plan was to wait a year or 2 before adding my 3rd and final dog, and I was hoping for that dog to be a German Shepherd between the ages of 6 months and 2 years.

When I brought home this puppy yesterday, my plan was to do what I was originally going to do with my now 15 month old girl who this whole thread is about, and find her a new home, but I'm afraid that the same thing is going to end up happening.

Should I find this puppy a new home after getting her wormed and vaccinated, or should I keep her?
get her a new home with someone you trust, maybe who you caan visit

I guess that's the thing, I'm really on the fence about this. Looking to hear arguments for or against it.
honestly, i get that you had a plan and wnated to follow it, but as a famous painter once said: there's no mistakes, only happy little accidents (i think this was the quote? idk tho)

in >MY< opinion, you should stick with her and stay with her instead of finding a new owner, but thats just my opinion, at the end of the day, is your choice, but i just hope that no matter your choice, both you and this girl can be happy at the end <3

edit: unless its starts to get to overwhelming for you, then i think you should find an owner :/

Back