My plans went out the window

SultryHellhound

Citizen of Zooville
Since I joined the forum, which wasn't too long ago, I've been asking around and reading, and I had sort of developed a "plan" for ownership of a dog. I thought I was gonna wait until I bought a house, and I was certain that I was gonna adopt an adult female lab.

And in the middle of last month, that entire plan went right out the window.

About January 12th or so, a local mama dog who comes to my/my parents place that I feed, who I haven't been able to get within about 3 feet of, dumped off a puppy at my doorstep and ran off. So of course I had no choice but to take the little girl in. She was frightened so she hid under my bed, and did so for about 2 days. On the third day, she decided that my feet were her friend, and decided to curl up to them, and let me pet her, but she'd sleep under the bed still. My parents, of course, said that we needed to find her a new home when she got a little bigger / suited to find a new home, as we already had a 10 month old lab mix and a slightly younger German shepherd mix that we found a month earlier. So I was trying my best not to get attached. On day 4, instead of going to sleep under the bed at night, she stood at the edge of my bed wanting to be picked up, and so I did, where she slept the whole night. And that was the exact moment where I got attached. So now she's cuddling up with me every night, and about 2 weeks go by, and I'm planning on asking/begging if I can keep her, when my mom asks me, out of the blue, if I wanted to keep her, because she said she could tell that I've grown attached and that it would be wrong to re-home her when she could tell we've both started to bond with each other.

So now I have my first dog that's actually mine, and not just my parents'. I've recently gotten her microchipped and first vaccines. So, while I was going to wait to adopt an adult lab, it looks like the dog I was meant to have ended up being a husky mix puppy, way different from what I had planned.

I had wanted to share this earlier, and had alluded to bits and pieces in other posts, but finally found the time to do it.

A sweet turn of events. I wish you two luck and all the best on your journey. I've always felt like the dogs that I'm meant to be with, find me. Feels good to read a story of someone else having the same happen. Give that pupper her best life! Hopefully the same kind of luck can come to her mother.

Give that pupper her best life! Hopefully the same kind of luck can come to her mother.
Oh I certainly am and will! And I hope her mother eventually comes around to liking people, it's been over a year and she still hasn't quite gotten comfortable with people. She does wag her tail like crazy when she spots me, but I guess pets/contact is where she draws the line. But I'm still feeding her, and on the lookout for any more puppies she might have.

That's awesome. A similar thing happened to me. Was out walking my girl in the neighborhood and came across a puppy under someones truck. Unfortunately at the time I did not have approval to get a 2nd dog. So I fed her, gave her water, and some treats, and she hung out for a bit. She had a 'I'm sorry mama can't keep you, hope you find a good home' note attached to her. She was a 'purebred bully' whatever that meant. Made me feel disgusted to not take her in, but I also wasn't ready either.

There's also a stray lab mix girl that's been hanging out around my neighborhood for a few months now. She won't let me (or anyone else) touch her or get close. I've also fed/watered and treated her.

To get back on topic I'm happy for you! It's a zoo's dream to be with/have an animal of their own, regardless of how the relationship plays out. I hope you guys have a long and fulfilling time together.
Too bad you weren't able to keep the puppy! And you're a great person for feeding the lab mix girl! I do the same for the strays around my place, couldn't bear to know that I could've feed them and didn't.

Since I joined the forum, which wasn't too long ago, I've been asking around and reading, and I had sort of developed a "plan" for ownership of a dog. I thought I was gonna wait until I bought a house, and I was certain that I was gonna adopt an adult female lab.

And in the middle of last month, that entire plan went right out the window.

About January 12th or so, a local mama dog who comes to my/my parents place that I feed, who I haven't been able to get within about 3 feet of, dumped off a puppy at my doorstep and ran off. So of course I had no choice but to take the little girl in. She was frightened so she hid under my bed, and did so for about 2 days. On the third day, she decided that my feet were her friend, and decided to curl up to them, and let me pet her, but she'd sleep under the bed still. My parents, of course, said that we needed to find her a new home when she got a little bigger / suited to find a new home, as we already had a 10 month old lab mix and a slightly younger German shepherd mix that we found a month earlier. So I was trying my best not to get attached. On day 4, instead of going to sleep under the bed at night, she stood at the edge of my bed wanting to be picked up, and so I did, where she slept the whole night. And that was the exact moment where I got attached. So now she's cuddling up with me every night, and about 2 weeks go by, and I'm planning on asking/begging if I can keep her, when my mom asks me, out of the blue, if I wanted to keep her, because she said she could tell that I've grown attached and that it would be wrong to re-home her when she could tell we've both started to bond with each other.

So now I have my first dog that's actually mine, and not just my parents'. I've recently gotten her microchipped and first vaccines. So, while I was going to wait to adopt an adult lab, it looks like the dog I was meant to have ended up being a husky mix puppy, way different from what I had planned.

I had wanted to share this earlier, and had alluded to bits and pieces in other posts, but finally found the time to do it.
That is how some of the best relationships in life happen, most the dogs I have had where rescues in a way, some needed a home due to emergency, some where given away. My home is usually their last, and miss each one and their unique minds.

This thread makes me smile.

Im not a religious person but this feels like god did his homie a favour.

Nature straight up brought a girl to your door like "here, you two could use each other"

Tiny update: I had her do an Embark DNA test and had some very interesting results!

She's
22% Pitbull,
19% Chow Chow,
19% German Shepherd Dog,
14% Siberian Husky,
7% Boxer, and
19% "Supermutt" which is supposedly compromised of Labrador, Cocker Spaniel, and Dutch Shepherd! Although I'm not putting too much stock into the supermutt analysis. She's also predicted to weigh 49 lbs!

Tiny update: I had her do an Embark DNA test and had some very interesting results!

She's
22% Pitbull,
19% Chow Chow,
19% German Shepherd Dog,
14% Siberian Husky,
7% Boxer, and
19% "Supermutt" which is supposedly compromised of Labrador, Cocker Spaniel, and Dutch Shepherd! Although I'm not putting too much stock into the supermutt analysis. She's also predicted to weigh 49 lbs!
Oh shit... lay in an extra-jumbo supply of dog food... Or dincha know that "predicted to be ## pounds" is code-speak for "Congratulations on your new horse"? 😂😅🤣

She's
22% Pitbull,
19% Chow Chow,
19% German Shepherd Dog,
14% Siberian Husky,
7% Boxer, and
Buddy of mine did that with his dog. Came back basically what the vet guessed off the top of their head.

Oh shit... lay in an extra-jumbo supply of dog food... Or dincha know that "predicted to be ## pounds" is code-speak for "Congratulations on your new horse"? 😂😅🤣
Too funny! Although I'm honestly not so sure how much stock I put into that prediction, either. Although the top breeds seem somewhat spot-on! Wouldn't have guessed the chow though!

Too funny! Although I'm honestly not so sure how much stock I put into that prediction, either. Although the top breeds seem somewhat spot-on! Wouldn't have guessed the chow though!
Outfits like that put "chow" and "pit bull" into *EVERYTHING*, including known purebred "something other than chow" breeds - It's almost like it's a law or something. How to tell you've got a pooch with enough chow in the woodpile to have any meaning is look in their mouth. Tongue black/black-spotted? You've got a critter with enough chow in it to be worth considering. No black on the tongue, spots or otherwise? There *COULD* be a trace of chow in its ancestry, but it's likely so far back/so little that you might as well not even waste the mind-space/effort to ponder the question.

Tiny update: took her to the vet yesterday for boosters and she weighs 19 pounds, an increase of 6.8 pounds in 4 weeks. She's between 13 and 15 weeks old now.

Tonight she did something interesting when taking her out for a walk...she ran around in complete circles around me like a hurricane! Then she ran like the wind the entire time she was outside (she's never done either of those before!). She was like a little Energizer bunny the whole time. It was a little windy outside, so maybe that may have contributed to it?

That's awesome. A similar thing happened to me. Was out walking my girl in the neighborhood and came across a puppy under someones truck. Unfortunately at the time I did not have approval to get a 2nd dog. So I fed her, gave her water, and some treats, and she hung out for a bit. She had a 'I'm sorry mama can't keep you, hope you find a good home' note attached to her. She was a 'purebred bully' whatever that meant. Made me feel disgusted to not take her in, but I also wasn't ready either.

There's also a stray lab mix girl that's been hanging out around my neighborhood for a few months now. She won't let me (or anyone else) touch her or get close. I've also fed/watered and treated her.

To get back on topic I'm happy for you! It's a zoo's dream to be with/have an animal of their own, regardless of how the relationship plays out. I hope you guys have a long and fulfilling time together.
Too bad you weren't able to keep the puppy! And you're a great person for feeding the lab mix girl! I do the same for the strays around my place, couldn't bear to know that I could've feed them and didn't.
I think we all do help stray dogs where we can because it's the right thing to do 👌🙏

Glad you gave her a home, I think the one I picked up last fall is a purebred pitbull but she is a real beauty and is filling out nice, she is just happy to have a home I am sure... wish the step kids would treat her better though... -.-

Attachments

• 20230308_172738.jpg
    20230308_172738.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Been working on recall a ton! She almost has "come" downpat, just need to work on distractions. She has "sit" mastered, she'll do "lay" and "high five" but only when I have a treat in hand. Loose leash walking is a different story...mostly is good but she tends to go a little crazy! Here she is today after a walk:20230319_194019_clean.jpg

Glad you gave her a home, I think the one I picked up last fall is a purebred pitbull but she is a real beauty and is filling out nice, she is just happy to have a home I am sure... wish the step kids would treat her better though... -.-
So glad you could give her a home! Hopefully you can correct your stepkids' treatment towards her and even involve them with training her in a positive manner!

Been working on recall a ton! She almost has "come" downpat, just need to work on distractions. She has "sit" mastered, she'll do "lay" and "high five" but only when I have a treat in hand. Loose leash walking is a different story...mostly is good but she tends to go a little crazy! Here she is today after a walk:View attachment 374021
She will be a great dog and friend. She will listen eventually without the treats. Big thing is she’s recognizing the commands. Judging by the looks and the dna test, I’d say they were right with the husky/shep/pitty, as you can see them in her. All great breeds and a great mix. She’s gonna have lots of energy and be a puppy at heart for years to come.
She’s adorable too. I’d probably have another dog too if she turned up on my steps.

Been working on recall a ton! She almost has "come" downpat, just need to work on distractions. She has "sit" mastered, she'll do "lay" and "high five" but only when I have a treat in hand. Loose leash walking is a different story...mostly is good but she tends to go a little crazy! Here she is today after a walk:View attachment 374021
Some puppers have all of the cute, she is one of them!

Tiny update: took her to the vet yesterday for boosters and she weighs 19 pounds, an increase of 6.8 pounds in 4 weeks. She's between 13 and 15 weeks old now.

Tonight she did something interesting when taking her out for a walk...she ran around in complete circles around me like a hurricane! Then she ran like the wind the entire time she was outside (she's never done either of those before!). She was like a little Energizer bunny the whole time. It was a little windy outside, so maybe that may have contributed to it?
nope just typical healthy puppy stuff, soon will be the chew on every thing and chase tail phase, then around 6 to 8 months will be the stand off "teenager" phase.

Back