My plans went out the window

Update: she has entered into her first heat.
I've been observing signs from around the beginning of last week, and around this Thursday I saw in the morning what appeared to be a bit of remnant of dried blood that she must have licked off of her vulva, but today I actually saw a glob of blood coming out of her lady parts. She promptly cleaned that off.

She hasn't had any sort of temperament change yet, but I'm wondering what I should be looking out for (other than intact male dogs!) as far as behavior or health wise.

Update: she has entered into her first heat.
I've been observing signs from around the beginning of last week, and around this Thursday I saw in the morning what appeared to be a bit of remnant of dried blood that she must have licked off of her vulva, but today I actually saw a glob of blood coming out of her lady parts. She promptly cleaned that off.
A good report... It's always a wonderful milestone when we witness a beloved K9 cross the threshold into puberty.
She hasn't had any sort of temperament change yet, but I'm wondering what I should be looking out for (other than intact male dogs!) as far as behavior or health wise.
Some dogs don't show any temperament changes and others do. Things to watch out for:
Restlessness
Clinginess
Discomfort, sometime accompanied with increased resting
Drinking more water
Appetite changes (rare)
Any kind of mood changes that aren't normal for her.

Hope this helps... 🐕

Last edited:
Now that I am sufficiently caught up and enamored by your story, Sultry, I truly wish you the best with your new pup. I love my girl so much (adopted from a humane society, so she's fixed) but I know strays truly understand what it means to be loved on and cared for by the kindest humans... Please do continue to update us :)

When I read the title of this post I thought at first that something bad happened but then I read the description and I am glad that I was wrong. Congratulations on your rescued puppy. Hope everything is going well for you guys.
Side note if anyone sees posts from my account that has barely any punctuation or capitalization, it is me. I just access my account from my laptop and my phone. The bad punctuation and capitalization is me on my laptop and my built in keyboard is having issues not registering certain key presses. My phone is set up to auto capitalize. So I am typing this comment via my phone.
Sorry to get off topic.

Now that I am sufficiently caught up and enamored by your story, Sultry, I truly wish you the best with your new pup. I love my girl so much (adopted from a humane society, so she's fixed) but I know strays truly understand what it means to be loved on and cared for by the kindest humans... Please do continue to update us :)
Thanks for the well wishes! She is certainly loved, for sure. I'll give updates as time passes!

Dann, how did I miss this thread??

goosebumps reading it.
Those are the stories worth indeed.

Glad for both of you, and while I despite the guy with the car, let all the positive things in this thread be the main.

Adult feral rescues can sometimes adapt surprisingly well. Years ago I was trying to get one, and he had an spaniel female with him. I was after him but I was not even trying the female cause she was totally fearful of people and I could see she'd just be better out there.

Long story short, they captured her and the pups. (male scaped, as always). Pups were very young, so were adopted. the female, a lady got her and in... less than a month she was comfortable in a sofa with her other dogs. And *I* considered she would not adapt. Great for her 😀

Update: so I stepped outside to check the mail yesterday, and as I was walking back in, I heard a yelping sound, and found her and my male Labrador rottweiler mix tied. He was neutered 5 or 6 months ago or so, so I honestly don't understand how or why he'd have those urges.

I wasn't wanting her to have any sort of sexual contact until after her second heat, and now I'm not sure how to go forward. She looks to be ok and pretty unfazed by it, but I feel she was still too small for any of that to go down.

But I feel like complete sh*t right now for not being more cautious

Nah. If she is ok, no big harm done, probably.

The main problem with sex in first heat is all the stress their body gets through pregnancy and pup nursing. If he was neutered that should not happen.

(and yes, neutered dogs "work" and while they do not have the urge, they woll mount other males or females and... if the female stays and he hits lucky pot... might happen. But shooting blanks.

Be cautios about other dogs in the neighborhood though!

Update: so I stepped outside to check the mail yesterday, and as I was walking back in, I heard a yelping sound, and found her and my male Labrador rottweiler mix tied. He was neutered 5 or 6 months ago or so, so I honestly don't understand how or why he'd have those urges.

I wasn't wanting her to have any sort of sexual contact until after her second heat, and now I'm not sure how to go forward. She looks to be ok and pretty unfazed by it, but I feel she was still too small for any of that to go down.

Well that's awkward... I guess there's nothing to do but take it as a lesson learned. Neutered dogs can still get it up, and a female in heat may be pretty insistent about encouraging them to do so. Same thing happened to my Dad's dog, whom he let outside with no leash while she was in heat... he wasn't the most responsible dog owner. At any rate his dog went over and started harassing the neighbor dog, a neutered male. She kept dashing in front of him and urgently flagging until finally he just gave in and mounted her.

Since I joined the forum, which wasn't too long ago, I've been asking around and reading, and I had sort of developed a "plan" for ownership of a dog. I thought I was gonna wait until I bought a house, and I was certain that I was gonna adopt an adult female lab.

And in the middle of last month, that entire plan went right out the window.

About January 12th or so, a local mama dog who comes to my/my parents place that I feed, who I haven't been able to get within about 3 feet of, dumped off a puppy at my doorstep and ran off. So of course I had no choice but to take the little girl in. She was frightened so she hid under my bed, and did so for about 2 days. On the third day, she decided that my feet were her friend, and decided to curl up to them, and let me pet her, but she'd sleep under the bed still. My parents, of course, said that we needed to find her a new home when she got a little bigger / suited to find a new home, as we already had a 10 month old lab mix and a slightly younger German shepherd mix that we found a month earlier. So I was trying my best not to get attached. On day 4, instead of going to sleep under the bed at night, she stood at the edge of my bed wanting to be picked up, and so I did, where she slept the whole night. And that was the exact moment where I got attached. So now she's cuddling up with me every night, and about 2 weeks go by, and I'm planning on asking/begging if I can keep her, when my mom asks me, out of the blue, if I wanted to keep her, because she said she could tell that I've grown attached and that it would be wrong to re-home her when she could tell we've both started to bond with each other.

So now I have my first dog that's actually mine, and not just my parents'. I've recently gotten her microchipped and first vaccines. So, while I was going to wait to adopt an adult lab, it looks like the dog I was meant to have ended up being a husky mix puppy, way different from what I had planned.

I had wanted to share this earlier, and had alluded to bits and pieces in other posts, but finally found the time to do it.
Awwwwwwh! That's so precious I'm glad you guys found each other! It sounds like she's gonna be a bashful little thing.

It seems your plans just keep going out the window over and over again.

What will happen? Likely not much. My biggest concern, since he's neutered and all... so no pup concerns... would be if the sex was very painful to her. As she may associate sex with that type of pain moving forward or for awhile. But you did mention that she seemed pretty unfazed by it, so perhaps you'll get lucky and absolutely nothing comes about this. The best thing you can do now is to separate them, and continue to make her feel comfortable and papered through her first heat.

As she may associate sex with that type of pain moving forward or for awhile
This is something that I am concerned about, but moreso that she didn't get injured in the process.

The best thing you can do now is to separate them, and continue to make her feel comfortable and papered through her first heat
This is what I will continue to do! She's certainly getting all the cuddles and treats right now.

Hey @SultryHellhound , lot's of good posts here from all. I would like to add that: in the natural world, she'd be pregnant right now. So, pat yourself on the back for a job well done on that one. She is far too young to be enduring the burden of bearing pups and nursing them... so, be absolutely 1000 % diligent on keeping all intact males from getting anywhere near her... at all times, during her 1st heat cycle. I cannot stress this enough. Please don't fall down on your job here.

The rest has already been said... 🐕

Since I joined the forum, which wasn't too long ago, I've been asking around and reading, and I had sort of developed a "plan" for ownership of a dog. I thought I was gonna wait until I bought a house, and I was certain that I was gonna adopt an adult female lab.

And in the middle of last month, that entire plan went right out the window.

About January 12th or so, a local mama dog who comes to my/my parents place that I feed, who I haven't been able to get within about 3 feet of, dumped off a puppy at my doorstep and ran off. So of course I had no choice but to take the little girl in. She was frightened so she hid under my bed, and did so for about 2 days. On the third day, she decided that my feet were her friend, and decided to curl up to them, and let me pet her, but she'd sleep under the bed still. My parents, of course, said that we needed to find her a new home when she got a little bigger / suited to find a new home, as we already had a 10 month old lab mix and a slightly younger German shepherd mix that we found a month earlier. So I was trying my best not to get attached. On day 4, instead of going to sleep under the bed at night, she stood at the edge of my bed wanting to be picked up, and so I did, where she slept the whole night. And that was the exact moment where I got attached. So now she's cuddling up with me every night, and about 2 weeks go by, and I'm planning on asking/begging if I can keep her, when my mom asks me, out of the blue, if I wanted to keep her, because she said she could tell that I've grown attached and that it would be wrong to re-home her when she could tell we've both started to bond with each other.

So now I have my first dog that's actually mine, and not just my parents'. I've recently gotten her microchipped and first vaccines. So, while I was going to wait to adopt an adult lab, it looks like the dog I was meant to have ended up being a husky mix puppy, way different from what I had planned.

I had wanted to share this earlier, and had alluded to bits and pieces in other posts, but finally found the time to do it.
That's awesome! I hope you have been loving every second of your time together!

It's already been said but I don't think you have much to worry about. You seem to be on the right track. Just be mindful of what happened when the times comes, take your time, go slow and be gentle.

Thank you for this thread, very heart warming. I wanted to reply from reading the first post, it was so beautiful. We can never plan when someone special walks into our life. And now that I'm caught up, it great to k ow her mama survived that accident. Hope to read more from you and your girl.

The mum just abandoned her at your door? Wow I thought some human parents were negligent lol. Proper though I'm glad you found someone for you

So she stopped bleeding a couple of days ago, I think she may have bypassed the milky pink discharge phase because she was swollen and acted very receptive towards the neutered males in the house. I think her heat is coming to an end.

From the resources and guides presented, I was honestly expecting her to become more reserved and whimper and sulk at random due to the changes she is going through, but she doesn't seem to have been affected one bit.

Side note, do female dogs not get proper nipples until their first heat? Before her heat, her nipples seemed like a tiny bump on her otherwise flat belly, but now they are huge!

So she stopped bleeding a couple of days ago, I think she may have bypassed the milky pink discharge phase because she was swollen and acted very receptive towards the neutered males in the house. I think her heat is coming to an end.

From the resources and guides presented, I was honestly expecting her to become more reserved and whimper and sulk at random due to the changes she is going through, but she doesn't seem to have been affected one bit.

Side note, do female dogs not get proper nipples until their first heat? Before her heat, her nipples seemed like a tiny bump on her otherwise flat belly, but now they are huge!
Yup, it's normal for them to enlarge because of a heat cycle. Even more if there is an actual pregnancy.

Back