How would you spend $1M?

I would take half invest it wisely and the other half in the bank let it gain interest and an I've off that

You could make a lot more if you invested it in the stock market, rather than leave it in a bank account.

If you put it in an index fund like $VOO, for instance, you could make a healthy profit each year. (Save for recessions, which come and go.) Don't forget that you also get dividends as well. You could reasonably turn that one million into many more millions over your lifetime.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

How would you spend $1M?
Spend is not to invest. When you spend money it is gone - you spend it and get something in return for your money.
Nobody has answered the question including the person that started this thread. Everyone's answers would be correct if the question was What would you do with $1M?
So I'll answer the question as to what I would do - I would probably buy a nicer airplane.

But you invest in assets. E.g. house. You spend money on the house but then can sell it later for a higher price
True and if you're fortunate then your assets will appreciate rather than depreciate. Either way if you are buying an asset you are spending money and not investing money. Invested money is money you can draw back rapidly if need be, like money with a leash on it. When you buy equipment, a house, or land they become assets but if you need the cash back in a day or two it's not possible because you have to sell it and that takes time. It's kind of a fine line but it's the way I was taught.

Ah ok. So it is a question of how liquid your new "asset" is

In that case I would just do the same thing except spend 75% on a house instead of stocks/bonds. And then the other 25% spend as is

Ah ok. So it is a question of how liquid your new "asset" is

In that case I would just do the same thing except spend 75% on a house instead of stocks/bonds. And then the other 25% spend as is
Right but I just put a spin on it because of the word spend. Most people see 'Do With" and 'Spend' as the same thing.

Humm it sure would be nice to have to figure that problem out. I'd pay off my bills, my car, my house, and try to invest the rest.

Back