Generational Images

They're on slide out trays under the desk, you can see one in the bottom left.
I see now. I've always hated keyboard trays. They cause horrible wrist pain with extended use and I've never found one that didn't jam at least three times a week.

Teenie-Weenies, a Comic strip feature from the Sunday papers in the 50s....It was a one panel strip with literally every character imaginable. Here they're advertizing Monarch products....also very 40s & 50s....The strip featured a character each week intended to be mounted on cardboard and cut out for collecting. Note the one legged Union Army Vet, still a part of the scene as late as the 20s, when the strip was new

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1682675577037.jpg
    FB_IMG_1682675577037.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 9
Teenie-Weenies, a Comic strip feature from the Sunday papers in the 50s....It was a one panel strip with literally every character imaginable. Here they're advertizing Monarch products....also very 40s & 50s....The strip featured a character each week intended to be mounted on cardboard and cut out for collecting. Note the one legged Union Army Vet, still a part of the scene as late as the 20s, when the strip was new
Hmmmm... Gonna hafta go looking to see if that's the artist I think it is, but whoever drew this had a style like the guy that drew the "Henry" comic strips ("Don Tracy" is the name coming to mind)I used to like back in the 70s.

For those who don't remember, "Henry" was a big-headed, bald little boy who never spoke (And may not have had a mouth at all, based on how he was drawn)

IMG_7978.jpeg
I used to love this cartoon in the early to mid 90s, sadly I don’t think it caught on. I think it only had a couple seasons, but it was good.

Zorro- Walt Disney grabbed this up for his original 1950s B/W Americana tv show. it aired on Wednesday night. Davy Crockett, Elfego Baca, John Slaughter, Francis Marion, Zorro all come to mind....some caught on enough to have companion products....Crockett's Coonskin Cap....and this collection. I didnt have this boxed set, but had a rapier with a chalk tip. My mother gave these to the kids at my 7th Bday party, in lieu of Favors....for weeks after, everywhere in the neighborhood, Z's were visible....Zorro was truly Everywhere!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1684103291774.jpg
    FB_IMG_1684103291774.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 6
clippy.jpg

I remember the thing...First thing I did was to dis-invoke the help screens....I had been using the other guys word processor....not lotus but....Ah...Wordperfect, which I liked better.. . Word tended to screw me up

Used to be a magazine called "Compute" which printed programming for do it yourselfers... I liked that one....debugging was a pain, but it was a way of learning

I could have wished for a similar assistant for excel...that took a little more of a learning curve. Pencil and paper I was fine but if they required a spreadsheet, I was in trouble.
I had clippy enabled for word processing. That was something I did infrequently so it was helpful. On Excel? No way.

My high school got computers my junior year. Computer science I was mandatory for all Juniors.

They were TRS80's. Older than those in the picture.

My first "official" computer course - "BASIC for Business" - was taught on TRS-80 Model IIIs.

I'll never forget the "Connect to the printer, LIST your code, do a final run, and hand in the printout - your grades will be ready in about three weeks" final class - I had to re-write my entire program from scratch after getting a "DIRECT STATEMENT ON FILE ERROR" message when I tried to load what I'd saved at the end of last week's class...

It wasn't until about 3 years later I found out what had caused the problem (In essence, something got glitched during the save, nuking a line number), and what the fix (change "LOAD" to "EXEC") was that would have pulled it back from "Data Heaven".

Still aced the course, but man, you wanna talk about sweating bullets trying to reconstruct 3 weeks of work in a 2 hour session...

What impressed me most was that I managed to re-create the program with only one error - When adding up the "how much social security should be forwarded to Uncle Sam?", I added it up proper, but fat-fingered the "TF" variable as "FT" in the print statement, so what got printed under the "TOTAL FICA" header was a big fat zero.

Mmmhmm. My favorite Word Processor
HELLLLLLLLLLO, Selectric! :)

First typewriter I ever used that could keep up with me without jamming about every 5th keystroke.

Then along came the version that had the "lift-off" correction tape - Suddenly, I thought I was in heaven :)

The II was the best....never liked the IlI and the first was not much better but I never learned to type. 45 wpm was the best I could do.

Neopets! Was fun when I was younger, got really into it. Funnily enough, the site introduced me to the basics of investing and web design as well.

1685722029571.png

Back