Generational Images

🎶 "In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man" 🎶. Add in my dear old Daddio, and these are the guys who told me. From the left: Gene, The Ranger, Hoppy, and Roy. Tonto is not on the Ranger Ring, because he had a ring of his own. These were gumball machine prizes, but represented a spectrum the stars and celebs today could never live up to. Laugh if you will, but I KNOW who I am....who are you?

Attachments

• The Range bosses.jpg
    The Range bosses.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 7
Almost to the Minute, 79 years ago. And damned if it needs more explanation than this: Some of these guys are people I grew up with.❤️‍🩹

Attachments

• assault-troops-American-landing-craft-Normandy-Invasion-June-6-1944.jpg
    assault-troops-American-landing-craft-Normandy-Invasion-June-6-1944.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 8
But when I started using using the computer at home myself we has MS-DOS.

Attachments

• eaf36386209604f84929572ff2b13effe1af00b2624962e63458ba9fd58baf73.png
    eaf36386209604f84929572ff2b13effe1af00b2624962e63458ba9fd58baf73.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 7
But when I started using using the computer at home myself we has MS-DOS.
When windows 3.1 was tested, they were not satisfied with the start-up, because it took several seconds before it was ready. Very slow compared to DOS !!

Last edited:
There are large companies who are still using Windows 3.1 Server for critical applications :LOL:
A lot of government databases still run on Cobal and other pre-DOS languages. Mostly because no one knows how they work anymore, everyone who built the system architecture is dead. So they can't transfer the data to modern systems.

A lot of government databases still run on Cobal and other pre-DOS languages. Mostly because no one knows how they work anymore, everyone who built the system architecture is dead. So they can't transfer the data to modern systems.
Or banks, which can't afford to take their systems down long enough for a minor update, let alone a complete overhaul.

They always say if you can learn to develop on legacy AS/400 systems, you'll quickly become rich and never be out of work for the next 50+ years.

They always say if you can learn to develop on legacy AS/400 systems, you'll quickly become rich and never be out of work for the next 50+ years.
We use AS400 for inventory at my work.

The problem isn't just knowing the language. The real problem is understanding what the person who programmed it 50+ years ago was doing. Programming isn't standardized, "to achieve result A use function Q", there's 1,000 ways to get to the same result, and if a program is 10's of millions of lines of code you may have to go through it line by line following each and every function and call to figure out how it was designed to do what it does.

I used to code in Flash, and if I went back to something I'd done years prior I might have to look at something I wrote for 10 minutes to figure out and remember what I had been doing with it. Imagine trying to figure out what code someone else wrote was doing. That's why commenting in code is so vitally important.

We use AS400 for inventory at my work.

The problem isn't just knowing the language. The real problem is understanding what the person who programmed it 50+ years ago was doing. Programming isn't standardized, "to achieve result A use function Q", there's 1,000 ways to get to the same result, and if a program is 10's of millions of lines of code you may have to go through it line by line following each and every function and call to figure out how it was designed to do what it does.

I used to code in Flash, and if I went back to something I'd done years prior I might have to look at something I wrote for 10 minutes to figure out and remember what I had been doing with it. Imagine trying to figure out what code someone else wrote was doing. That's why commenting in code is so vitally important.
There's that, and then since it was first developed you have maybe dozens or hundreds of people in there chopping and changing stuff over the years, and of course there's never any documentation or process flows as to how it was built in the first place. My work uses it and one time they needed a pretty simple process adding to generate an email if an order met certain conditions, but the quote came back at nearly £2 million so the answer was no.

I've done coding for microcontrollers with pretty extensive comments, left it for a few weeks and then had no idea what was going on 😅

The original (and very short-lived - I think they were only on the market for about a month, if that long, before they vanished into the mists of "Things that weren't a very good idea and were quickly and mercifully discontinued and forgotten") "Baloney-slicer" version, where the disc protruded (and spun in free air) from the unit, or the later "The disc is actually fully enclosed inside the device during operation" version?

The original (and very short-lived - I think they were only on the market for about a month, if that long, before they vanished into the mists of "Things that weren't a very good idea and were quickly and mercifully discontinued and forgotten") "Baloney-slicer" version, where the disc protruded (and spun in free air) from the unit, or the later "The disc is actually fully enclosed inside the device during operation" version?
The later version.

You can still buy new models today, I wonder if they finally work.

The later version.

You can still buy new models today, I wonder if they finally work.
They always worked for me - so long as I didn't try doing anything (like walking, sitting in a rocking chair, riding a bike or horse, etc) that made 'em jiggle...

Maybe? Though given how nasty the fruit ones are I canonly imagine chocolate ones would end up being like chewing a tootsie roll, which are also nasty.
Imagine something chocolate flavored that has no chocolate in it. Now imagine that item is the consistency of leather (yes, for some reason the chocolate ones were tougher to chew and pretty much awful)

BUT, on the topic of random one off products from big brand names, did you ever have the Hi-C Ectos? They were made to promote Ghostbusters and the Hi-C was a weird green color

Back