Furred or hairless dogs?

I mean we don't go outside during winter much, so not always needed. But yeahh what you're saying is the reality for me lol. I don't mind it, love him <3
for winter i would suggest a chewbacca dog costume for him xD

are there other differences to normal haired dogs, like sensitive against some medicine or such?

for winter i would suggest a chewbacca dog costume for him xD

are there other differences to normal haired dogs, like sensitive against some medicine or such?
He already has a large collection xD can't spoil him too much!!

He is not my full responsibility, I share taking care of him with a familiar. They have the entire thing figured out, so whatever they tell me to do I do it. So I can't really answer on that one

A hairless dog is disgusting.

Hey, hey. No dog deserves to be compared to the hairless ape called human.
They're still dogs, after all.. and deserve love and peace.

When it comes to your furred partners, does all the floof get in the way? If anyone has had a hairless dog, does it feel like human skin or perhaps more coarse? If hairless, could you lube up the whole rear, both inside and out? Which do you prefer, and maybe which breeds would you recommend?

The fur might get "in the way", but with lengths above 6-9 cm it also curls up and gets uncombable if you don't care for it (on longer or two-layered fur breeds with underfur). As such even if you get a short or medium coated dog, it's recommended to care for the fur - and partly trim / shorten it at least to adequate lengths.

With hormonal irregularities there might be more or less self-handling growth (means: it might grow and grow and grow and .. you get the point?), as example with spayed female dogs this happens quite often.

Depending on the exact breed and mix-or-not, even the easiest to comb long(er) hair dog breeds might get a big wooly mess, if you don't interfere in terms of dog combs, underfur combs, sheering machines and so on. It all depends on your care and the exact genetics.

Some will lose their hairs if they reach a specific length (growth duration, basically) and new ones grow, as this happens all over the body independently from the timed fur change events (which only relate to the lower underfur, not the coating fur), it's quite the self-caring process.

You can trim the areas of the genitals and lower side (and I suggest as such, if they grow to a length in which the dog gets into a hassle to keep them clean!) and they don't get in your way in relation to sexual intercourse.

You could as well.. "lube up the whole rear" of an almost hairless short-haired breed, or even on a long-haired breed.. but for which reason?! The result is half an hour of bathing the dog. Lube rarely doesn't leave remains, even if they're dry and almost invisible. And the time your dog gets wet by rain as example, it again would result in a sticky, lubricated backside. The stuff costs quite a bit of money in adequate qualities and water based, tho. As such: no reason to lube the whole dog up.

Short-haired dogs suffer from very quick sunburns. Don't use human protective gels on them, use dog related products. Their skin -is- different to that of humans and some ingredients safe for humans could lead to worse conditions on a dog.

"No hair" dogs are - in my opinion - not recommendable for any owner which doesn't live in a region where the over-the-year temperature range outdoor meets his dog's comfort temperature quite well. Because a "longer haired" dog can easily adjust the body temperature in hot weather (by inactivity and drinking / panting - but only as long as he doesn't act sportive and use his muscles much, else he'll overheat quickly).

But a short- to no-haired dog will freeze as example in European climate zone for 1/2 of the year outdoor, if you don't pack him in protective and warming clothes. That's quite a big disadvantage if you are used to work / play / do things outdoor and want a dog which can follow you without first putting on two layers of insulating clothing.

Last edited:
Some dog Lines has massive DNA/Defects some result in many other health Problems and such breeds shouldnt get supported online and not getting breeded further to avoid torment and suffering.

Ectodermal dysplasia is the genetic defect calles which cause dogs to become hairless which can lead to many other follow up problems (mostly skin related and cancer - use google for many informations)

If u get such a dog as a resuce and prevent further breeding its ok - but giving a Breeder money to get a dog which will tend to suffer more then genetic stable dogs is nothing anyone should support.

I agree on all your points. I am one who hates to see the horrible defects that result from years of inbreeding that has come from folks desire to see certain traits that were never meant to be bread out. I also despise puppy mills and questionable breeding practices. there have been many that have been shut down over the years here near where I live. I too believe in nipping these problems in the bud and stopping the cycle of suffering. Some things should never have been.

and in winter/heating season u need to put mostiure lotion to prevent dry skin?

sounds like very much additional work
if you love them it is no big issue really. Just a few extra minutes and they are right as rain. I bet its much easier than combing out a poor matted beast. Plus you have that added time to get truly up close and personal with your best bud.

Back