Advise me on a good breed of dog.

wolfy2020

Tourist
Hi, I want to ask you for advice on what kind of dog I should choose. I can't buy one yet or get one from a shelter, but I'm already trying to make the right choice. I like shepherds, huskies, and anything that looks like them, I like dogs of this size, it will be a male. I'd like to hear some advice from you about similar or similar breeds of dogs. The main thing for me is that the animal should be friendly, more or less calm, and not noisy.

You may want to consider adopting a more adult dog if you are looking for calm, quiet dog. Asking for a puppy to not bark is like asking the sky to turn orange. Raising a dog from a puppy is a super loud, noisy, exhausting, and time consuming affair any way you slice it, and some of that also applies to adult dogs who have already grown. Bearing that in mind, you will want to be good and ready for all of those things over a long term period in your life before you can commit to inviting a creature who will depend on you for everything into it.

You may want to consider adopting a more adult dog if you are looking for calm, quiet dog. Asking for a puppy to not bark is like asking the sky to turn orange. Raising a dog from a puppy is a super loud, noisy, exhausting, and time consuming affair any way you slice it, and some of that also applies to adult dogs who have already grown. Bearing that in mind, you will want to be good and ready for all of those things over a long term period in your life before you can commit to inviting a creature who will depend on you for everything into it.
Thank you for the advice, I was looking for an adult. At least one year old. There are a lot of them in the shelter, especially because of the war.

Shelter dogs are usually neuters. Once in awhile one might slip through the cracks, but Shelters are intended to reduce the number of unwanted animals, so that neutering makes sense. Adopting from Craigs list listings could work. You could also talk to a Vet...Sometimes they may know of a critter that wants rehoming. But always keep in mind....Dogs have their own preferences....some wil never warm to a human as a mate. In that case, it had best be a dog you like, because once you have that dog, you're committed...If that doesn't fit your bill, then let the dogs alone.

Hi, I want to ask you for advice on what kind of dog I should choose. I can't buy one yet or get one from a shelter, but I'm already trying to make the right choice. I like shepherds, huskies, and anything that looks like them, I like dogs of this size, it will be a male. I'd like to hear some advice from you about similar or similar breeds of dogs. The main thing for me is that the animal should be friendly, more or less calm, and not noisy.
Shepherds and huskies are working dogs so they are high energy (more hyper) and more likely to make noise and in the case of shepherds less likely to be friendly. Huskies are known for having attitude problems. They can be great dogs with training to overcome these tendencies. It would be easier for an experienced dog owner to handle it. If you want a fluffy first-time dog I suggest a golden retriever.

Shelter dogs are usually neuters. Once in awhile one might slip through the cracks, but Shelters are intended to reduce the number of unwanted animals, so that neutering makes sense. Adopting from Craigs list listings could work. You could also talk to a Vet...Sometimes they may know of a critter that wants rehoming. But always keep in mind....Dogs have their own preferences....some wil never warm to a human as a mate. In that case, it had best be a dog you like, because once you have that dog, you're committed...If that doesn't fit your bill, then let the dogs alone.
I looked at the shelter's website where you can choose an animal based on its profile on the website. Each questionnaire was signed as "vaccinated" and there was no indication that they had been neutered. And in some of the photos I saw that they were not really neutered dogs.

Shepherds and huskies are working dogs so they are high energy (more hyper) and more likely to make noise and in the case of shepherds less likely to be friendly. Huskies are known for having attitude problems. They can be great dogs with training to overcome these tendencies. It would be easier for an experienced dog owner to handle it. If you want a fluffy first-time dog I suggest a golden retriever.
I sometimes met street dogs who were very kind. The Golden Retriever is a good breed, thanks for the advice.

Medium sized mutt with short hair, pointy ears, and one of those tails that curle upward. Independent by nature. Bit of a tracking /hunting guy.

I know everyone wants a big huge dog but honestly you'll save money and medium sized dogs tend to live longer.

But of course you might need to get him a bigger companion dog for him to run and play with.

Depends on what you're looking for. I've had really good experience with husky mixes, finding one in the pound is pretty easy and they are super loyal. Australian shepherds and border collies are really good too. They are similar in size and energy levels to the dogs you mentioned. Pretty smart and can be super easy to train.

Medium sized mutt with short hair, pointy ears, and one of those tails that curle upward. Independent by nature. Bit of a tracking /hunting guy.

I know everyone wants a big huge dog but honestly you'll save money and medium sized dogs tend to live longer.

But of course you might need to get him a bigger companion dog for him to run and play with.
I'm not saying huge, just not small, and I especially don't like it when their legs are short.

Depends on what you're looking for. I've had really good experience with husky mixes, finding one in the pound is pretty easy and they are super loyal. Australian shepherds and border collies are really good too. They are similar in size and energy levels to the dogs you mentioned. Pretty smart and can be super easy to train.
Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance. And what age is the best age to take them from a shelter?

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance. And what age is the best age to take them from a shelter?
Typically younger like pre 1 year(especially if you want them for naughty things most dogs get nurtured young at shelters.) I have adopted a few adult dogs when I was younger, or rather my parents did. They were pretty good too not super difficult to train it just took longer to build a bond with them.

Typically younger like pre 1 year(especially if you want them for naughty things most dogs get nurtured young at shelters.) I have adopted a few adult dogs when I was younger, or rather my parents did. They were pretty good too not super difficult to train it just took longer to build a bond with them.
Thanks for the advice, it will be hard to find up to one year. But if I take more than one year, what should I look for?

Thanks for the advice, it will be hard to find up to one year. But if I take more than one year, what should I look for?
Most shelters let you meet the dogs before you adopt them just try and find one you like. If you're new to having a dog try looking for previously owned dogs rather than former strays. Don't be deswayed from shy dogs most shelter dogs tend to be really shy at first.

Most shelters let you meet the dogs before you adopt them just try and find one you like. If you're new to having a dog try looking for previously owned dogs rather than former strays. Don't be deswayed from shy dogs most shelter dogs tend to be really shy at first.
Thank you for your advice. Good luck to you^^

I looked at the shelter's website where you can choose an animal based on its profile on the website. Each questionnaire was signed as "vaccinated" and there was no indication that they had been neutered. And in some of the photos I saw that they were not really neutered dogs.
Very odd shelter. Are you in the States? Oh...I see now you are not. Practices there may be different.

As to the original question, there is only ONE right breed... That's the one you can live with til he or she checks out of this life. Choose one based on what you like

Well most shepherds, are unfortunately often seen as not friendly due to stereotypes, and huskies, are usually very noisy. Neither one is usually all that calm either, especially not huskies. Your living situation and the time you have available to give to them also matters a lot because both would be horrible apartment dogs or just dogs that have to stay inside. They’re both very active breeds and a Husky would probably choose lower temperatures over you most of the time. If you plan to adopt, you could possibly try fostering dogs until you find one that fits what you want and then adopt that one. That’s always a good option as it will help other dogs in the process.

This gets asked a lot.

Labrador. Safe, sexy, decent sized in the right areas, and generally non aggressive.

The first and foremost attribute any first time owner should focus on, is their ability to provide adequate care and shelter for the angel you are responsible.

That means don't rush out and get a Husky because they are sexy and have big knots, only to not be able to handle when he wants to go run 14 miles and scream at you for it.

This gets asked a lot.

Labrador. Safe, sexy, decent sized in the right areas, and generally non aggressive.

The first and foremost attribute any first time owner should focus on, is their ability to provide adequate care and shelter for the angel you are responsible.

That means don't rush out and get a Husky because they are sexy and have big knots, only to not be able to handle when he wants to go run 14 miles and scream at you for it.
This to many people are worried about what the dog can do sexually for them and not about weather the dog is a good match for them in other areas truth be told even if u have sexy with your dog everyday which isn’t likely it’s still a small % of the time u will spend with them u need to pick a breed that fits your lifestyle not your sexual preferences

I would also suggest you foster some beforehand too. Sort of like "practice". Where I am from you can even offer to foster "new intakes" which havent seen the shelter yet and havent been spayed/neutered yet. If you eventually get a "Foster Fail" and find the dog you fall in love with, just adopt him and ignore the phone calls when they suggest its time to get him neutered. Especially in your country, they are unlikely to press the matter further

I agree 100% with your statement most people have no idea what it actually means to be a responsible owner. I see a lot of people on this site who seem to think dogs are just sex machines

My favourite is a dobberman

Very odd shelter. Are you in the States? Oh...I see now you are not. Practices there may be different.

As to the original question, there is only ONE right breed... That's the one you can live with til he or she checks out of this life. Choose one based on what you like
I'm from Ukraine, and here they don't force you to castrate, and I haven't seen anyone castrated in a shelter who wants to give them up, because they might not be taken. This is probably the local mentality. They neuter dogs here either for health reasons or if the dog was very dangerous on the street in terms of breeding.

This to many people are worried about what the dog can do sexually for them and not about weather the dog is a good match for them in other areas truth be told even if u have sexy with your dog everyday which isn’t likely it’s still a small % of the time u will spend with them u need to pick a breed that fits your lifestyle not your sexual preferences
I spend most of my life at home, because my only income is drawing online. I think I'll have a lot of time to train my dog properly. Also, I live with my boyfriend, who doesn't know that I'm not over my feelings for dogs, so I'll still be raising the dog most of the time as a person without passion.

I would also suggest you foster some beforehand too. Sort of like "practice". Where I am from you can even offer to foster "new intakes" which havent seen the shelter yet and havent been spayed/neutered yet. If you eventually get a "Foster Fail" and find the dog you fall in love with, just adopt him and ignore the phone calls when they suggest its time to get him neutered. Especially in your country, they are unlikely to press the matter further
It's an interesting idea, I'll ask the shelter about it. Thanks for the advice^^.

I don't know the ukrainian dog laws, but be aware that shelter dogs are usually sterilized or you are required to do the sterilization. This is common practice in 99% of developed countries.
I wouldn't buy a dog from a shelter if I were you.

Husky and GSD are a difficult breed.

Saarloos Wolfdogs have a calm/friendly demeanor, large, gorgeous.. Wish they were more available in the States. We're blessed to have pitbulls though. Super lovey and affectionate doggos. Easy to train because of their drive-to-please. Probably my favorite common breed.
A 1-year is a great place to start. You have a good idea of what kind of dog you'll end up with. Even if they're not perfect, most dogs can go from good to great with a little training. As others have said, make sure you'll love the dog whether they're interested in intimacies or not. They're living companions, not sex toys.

I don't know the ukrainian dog laws, but be aware that shelter dogs are usually sterilized or you are required to do the sterilization. This is common practice in 99% of developed countries.
I wouldn't buy a dog from a shelter if I were you.

Husky and GSD are a difficult breed.
This practice is not common in our country.

Back