Which breed to choose ?

girl83

Tourist
I am considering buying a dog (puppy) next year, because I live in an apartment building with a child, I am thinking about a breed that will be easy to raise and will meet its basic requirements. There will be no shortage of love for him (physical also from me) because we both always wanted to have a dog at home. The dog will be alone in the apartment 6-8 hours a day, walks 3 times a day and I take turns with the child. I am considering two breeds today: a Labrador and a German Shepherd, does anyone have any other ideas?

Great choices! I've had both breeds. Both loyal to the ends of the earth. Both smart, easy to work with, and amazing family dogs. Also, Great Danes we're at one point rated best apartment dogs and they're cuddlers. Just saying. 😁 I just rescued another Great Dane. I love them.

Not my thread, but I am looking for a dog soon. I always figured the dog forced me stories were just fiction. If you have a well trained dog would they really do that?
i was meaning one big enough that you couldnt stop them if you wanted too. alway train them

I am also taking this into consideration and am thinking an English Bull Terrier. I think their faces are sweet and often handsome. From the start of my research it seems like they are clumsy, funny, and stubborn.. buuut they wouldn’t do well being alone even with enough exercise. (I work from home) I would say prioritize a dog that is more independent or aloof.. im sure a lab would do well but from what I’ve read a German Shepherd may become bored if not mentally challenged and thus destructive. Maybe try looking at medium non working breeds? (Unless the three walks are of decent lengths)

Not my thread, but I am looking for a dog soon. I always figured the dog forced me stories were just fiction. If you have a well trained dog would they really do that?
the stories are not fiction, MArley would wake me up in the middle of the night hummping me and wouldnt stop untill I put my ass in the air.... a pain but nice to have a good load in my puss

I am considering buying a dog (puppy) next year, because I live in an apartment building with a child, I am thinking about a breed that will be easy to raise and will meet its basic requirements. There will be no shortage of love for him (physical also from me) because we both always wanted to have a dog at home. The dog will be alone in the apartment 6-8 hours a day, walks 3 times a day and I take turns with the child. I am considering two breeds today: a Labrador and a German Shepherd, does anyone have any other ideas?
i’ve said it once, and i’ll say it again, you should first look at personalities, figure out which breed personality is right for you. some are more energetic and want to fuck more, some less, those are things you’ll need to consider as well. you’ll need to then look at the average sizes over whatever few breeds you’ve narrowed it down to (personality wise), choose which size window fits best for you, understand there are outliers, just like humans. once you’ve figured that out youll be good to go. Moral of the story, personality first

Though they weren't my dogs, I did live with three German Shepards for a couple years and they all had fairly different personalities.

One was very shy and timid, didn't have much training, and was often bullied by the other two. She also had some challenges when being around other dogs, so walks had to be with her alone, rather than all three.

The oldest was very well-trained (in German) but didn't really have the training reinforced regularly — still extremely well behaved and would be chill if the other two were outside or somewhere else in the house, and was the best on walks, great around people and other dogs, all of that. Was very easy to loose-leash walk, rarely pulled except if the youngest was yapping at something.

The youngest was kind of a pain, he hadn't been given much training, was enormous, had some separation anxiety, and barked at everything and everyone. Fought a lot with the oldest, some of it was puppy energy but some of it was trying for the top spot in the pecking order. He was so big and so strong even as a 1 year old, walking him was like putting a leash on a motorcycle. He'd be okay with the oldest, but if walked with the youngest, he'd be bullying her or charging at imaginary squirrels or actual people.

They could all get a bit destructive if they were left alone (though the oldest would do fine if it was only him), especially the youngest, though the timid one was a shoe destroyer when she was feeling ignored. They would spend the day in the dog run outside unless I was around during the day to walk them or play with them, so they had a lot of pent up energy in the evenings.

I do love the personalities that GSDs tend to have, but agree that they need stuff to do (and consistently reinforced training) or they will turn their boredom into tearing things apart (these three managed to destroy a couch one day, definitely a team effort!).

Back