What would you say is the best horse-breed for a first time owner/trainer

I have read a lot of "top 10 horse breeds for a first time breeder/trainer" and I have an idea about what a good first horse could be.

So I wanted to know what your experiance with different breeds have been.
What breed would you say is the best? Also what age would you say is the best to get them at?

Then for the sex of the horse I wasn't sure:
Some say to go with mare since even though they may be irritable during heat they are generally easier.
Some say stallions are better since they don't have heat.
Just for an example but it feels like there are equal ups and downs for both, so maybe it doesn't matter to much?

Please say from your own experiance. Or like a friends experiance.

Yes, I know horses of the same breed won't all act the same.

I am thinking of buying a horse and I have been pondering this for months. So I thought I would ask you all for advice :)

Also here are some pretty horses as payment :p

Attachments

• 20230210_092608.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 57
It all depends on the breed you find more comfortable with. I trained Thoroughbreds for the races at age of 3 , but they needed shoes, the race tracks have softer sand during races, but take a Thoroughbred off track to a new environment with a harder ground terrain, I had problems buying a Thoroughbred as they hooves are always chipping off on the edges of the hoof , then it's trimming and filing their hooves, they are too sensitive on rough terrains and likely sharp stones and sharp objects usely puncture the frog, causing infections. Friesians are very gently, magnificent horses, very comfortable in the saddle position when you ride them, but because they have box hooves, means you have to clean their hooves daily as to keep much wetness and dirt out which isn't good, they should be kept dry, adding Stockholm tar on their hooves and at the bottom, the frog area to harden them and needs shoes too. I own a Boerperd stallion and for our terrain conditions on the farm he is more suitable for that. He is 3 years old, so I can train him with getting accustomed with ground work, lungeing, cleaning, filing and trimming his hooves, put halter on, get accustomed to a bridle and the bit, to be saddled up etc. You have to look at a breed with a good confirmation, his shoulders ( scapula bone) and his pastern bone (above the hoof must have a 45 - 50° angle, his neck not too swallow, a largely V form from the poll to the wither and base of the shoulder. Good confirmation like the attached image will give you an idea. You can choose which breed of horse do you prefer and to train you horse there are many books or Google for information. If you intend to buy a filly or colt you do basic ground work from the start with the foal until matured. Best time is to ride a horse at 4 years, not 3 years of age. I prefer stallions, although some intend to rear so you need a anti-rear bit (Chifney)

Attachments

• 7837045_f1024.jpg
    7837045_f1024.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 15
My first horse was a Morgan. she was great but a little stubborn at times. A big beautiful horse though. Now I have a rocky mountain mare shes definitely a pleaser but a little jumpy. I don't know if there's exactly an answer to your question I think it all just depends on the horse.

My first horse was a Morgan. she was great but a little stubborn at times. A big beautiful horse though. Now I have a rocky mountain mare shes definitely a pleaser but a little jumpy. I don't know if there's exactly an answer to your question I think it all just depends on the horse.
Rocky mountain horse? They are tuff horses. My stallion is still spooky but he will get over it, as I told him he should choose type of horse breed that suites him. If I have to go all the way from 2003 in detail about my experiences of different horse breeds, that will take me a while to write it down🙆‍♂️

Rocky mountain horse? They are tuff horses. My stallion is still spooky but he will get over it, as I told him he should choose type of horse breed that suites him. If I have to go all the way from 2003 in detail about my experiences of different horse breeds, that will take me a while to write it down🙆‍♂️
I don't have a ton of experience but I'm getting better. I've been with a lot of mares but have only recently started getting into actually riding them. But I agree if you have the budget go check out a bunch of them and pick the one you like.

I don't have a ton of experience but I'm getting better. I've been with a lot of mares but have only recently started getting into actually riding them. But I agree if you have the budget go check out a bunch of them and pick the one you like.
Yes, of course, and the daily ration for a horse too, my stallion can be on 17 lbs per day on balanced rider/lucern cubes and half a bale lucern, he is still in good condition or 8 slices of lucern per day. Most horses requires a fair amount of rations depends on daily exercise routines, mine require less as I am yet to get back in the saddle again, so he is only companion, not riding horse yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info

I really want a horse I can either casually ride or just companion I don't plan to compete or anything like that.

A friesian is one horse I really want, they are so beautiful. But a bit expensive maybe... However are they easy to train? I haven't seen them in any recomended list for a first horse.(maybe because of the price)

Morgans were also on my list since they seemed to be very attentive and follow instuctions fairly quickly.

I was also thinking clydesdale however I don't plan on haveing them work in a field or do labor. So I don't know if these are a good breed for riding or companionship.

I was thinking of getting a mare. But if I go for a male is it better to have a stallion or a gelding? Geldings will be very chill most of the time I have read/heard.

I had always had problems with mares and geldings, mares are like women, never know what's going on in their mind🤣, I had geldings rearing up, I chose stallion for myself, cause I am a gay Zoophile , I am stubborn, so I dealt with stubborn stallions, but like my Boerperd stallion, he is so calm, sweet and have a cute temperament, I need to be extra gentle with him, Friesians are very easy to learn basic stuff, lovely riding posture and confirmation, just with their box hooves it's daily cleaning them, Clydesdales or Percheron, magnificent horses, quite large breeds, I don't know if Friesians are expensive in your region, but it's totally up to you which horse do you prefer according to your sexual preferences

I had always had problems with mares and geldings, mares are like women, never know what's going on in their mind🤣, I had geldings rearing up, I chose stallion for myself, cause I am a gay Zoophile , I am stubborn, so I dealt with stubborn stallions, but like my Boerperd stallion, he is so calm, sweet and have a cute temperament, I need to be extra gentle with him, Friesians are very easy to learn basic stuff, lovely riding posture and confirmation, just with their box hooves it's daily cleaning them, Clydesdales or Percheron, magnificent horses, quite large breeds, I don't know if Friesians are expensive in your region, but it's totally up to you which horse do you prefer according to your sexual preferences
I would prefer mare but I don't mind a stallion. I am Bi.

I think friesians are a bit on the more expensive side compared to most horses that are sold in my country. But honestly don't know.
I have seen people selling them for between $6k and $15k

There are warmblood horses for around $3.5k. A 2015 mare for breeding.

But then again depends on the quality. I don't need the most expensive.

But any cheap horses are often older so maybe better to buy a young one so I can train it? I am a bit nervous that an older one that doesn't know me might kick if I go to the rear.

Also is it any good idea to get two horses for breeding? Or is that something for more advanced people? (Or if I get two is it better with two of the same sex?)

Hard to say as I'm not familiar with what breeds are readily available in your country, for a first time owner I'd recommend a calm hardy breed like a heavy pony type.

I would prefer mare but I don't mind a stallion. I am Bi.

I think friesians are a bit on the more expensive side compared to most horses that are sold in my country. But honestly don't know.
I have seen people selling them for between $6k and $15k

There are warmblood horses for around $3.5k. A 2015 mare for breeding.

But then again depends on the quality. I don't need the most expensive.

But any cheap horses are often older so maybe better to buy a young one so I can train it? I am a bit nervous that an older one that doesn't know me might kick if I go to the rear.

Also is it any good idea to get two horses for breeding? Or is that something for more advanced people? (Or if I get two is it better with two of the same sex?)
To breed with two horses, if you think of a stud, depends on your financial circumstances, and you can handle it, you can, there is too much studs world wide, you learn from the best but to be the best it all depends on you, I have somewhere written the vital keys to a successful stud, I will post it here tomorrow, , unless you do it privately, selling a foal to help keep your finances stable to cover feed etc, all my plans for a Friesian Stud was ready this year but I rejected the idea as there are too many Friesian Studs in South-Africa, most are selling for a very high price their foals, some couldn't afford and handle the economical crisis, and not just that, it's fees to be registered, I have to compete in shows with my horses to earn points, trophies and medallions to get my stud name to top #1 in the Studbook Association. I am grateful to have a stallion, nothing else counts. Of the same sex? If stallions, so you should keep them separate not to fight unless they are accustomed to each other from a young age, horses are herd animals but can be dominant , maybe a stallion and a mare of same breed or if you prefer two different breeds but with a good bloodline and history behind them.. But it depends entirely on your finances. Feel free if you need advice on anything, you can also pm me anytime 😊

Last edited:
Hard to say as I'm not familiar with what breeds are readily available in your country, for a first time owner I'd recommend a calm hardy breed like a heavy pony type.
I live in northern europe, scandinavia.

I think we have quite a wide variety too chose from. But if you recomend one that doesn't exist then that is fine too.

To breed with two horses, if you think of a stud, depends on your financial circumstances, and you can handle it, you can, there is too much studs world wide, you learn from the best but to be the best it all depends on you, I have somewhere written the vital keys to a successful stud, I will post it here tomorrow, , unless you do it privately, selling a foal to help keep your finances stable to cover feed etc, all my plans for a Friesian Stud was ready this year but I rejected the idea as there are too many Friesian Studs in South-Africa, most are selling for a very high price their foals, some couldn't afford and handle the economical crisis, and not just that, it's fees to be registered, I have to compete in shows with my horses to earn points, trophies and medallions to get my stud name to top #1 in the Studbook Association. I am grateful to have a stallion, nothing else counts. Of the same sex? If stallions, so you should keep them separate not to fight unless they are accustomed to each other from a young age, horses are herd animals but can be dominant , maybe a stallion and a mare of same breed or if you prefer two different breeds but with a good bloodline and history behind them.. But it depends entirely on your finances. Feel free if you need advice on anything, you can also pm me anytime 😊
Yeah, sounds complicated haha

I think I will stick to one horse to start off with.

Personal favorite of mine is the Polish Arabian, great all around horses for pleasure or sport riding and extremely loving in my experience. Easy to work with and very intelligent as well as being rather long lived, several of mine have lived 40+ years.

Back