What would you drive ?

Id drive a tank. Literally just a tank. M1 Abrams to be specific. That or a remade Tiger 1 or 2 designed with lighter armor and a modern engine so i can make that thing drift
Drifting in a tank will give your aggressor a much bigger target to shoot at. Plus, drifting serves no purpose.

Drifting in a tank will give your aggressor a much bigger target to shoot at. Plus, drifting serves no purpose.
Its not about the purpose its about the fun. Obviously if i was actually in combat with a tank the ideal position would be to keep most of the tank hidden behind cover

I had a yellow mini cooper ...
Bought with sacrifice ... sold 3 years ago ...very nice to drive....I would like to drive it again ...

The Landmaster -
File:2014-3-28-Landmaster-01.JPG

Is that an amphibious vehicle?
Among other things, yes. Since I have no idea how familiar you might be with it, it's a quite real vehicle, though a "one-shot", that was purpose built in 1976 for the making of the movie "Damnation Alley". At one point in time (not sure if it's still true) it was 100% street-legal, and carried the California plate "LANDMSTR". When it was "in its prime", it could do 50+ over terrain that would make a Jeep, or even Hummer, sit down and cry, 110 on a good road, and just short of 30 in calm water of suitable depth, with ZERO alterations or prep needed to move from one environment to the next (other than the obvious precaution of making sure the doors are shut when entering the water to prevent it taking on water, though it's supposedly able to stay afloat even when half filled with water.) It'll self-right if it's in deep enough water and gets flipped somehow, can cross terrain strewn with 2.5 foot boulders/ledges/dropoffs as if it were driving on the freeway, has nearly 3 feet of ground clearance, can climb and descend stairs up to 3 feet high per step, and the claim has been made (though I don't know if anybody's actually tested it) that it can crawl up a 50 degree slope with less effort than most vehicles on the road use to climb a 4% grade. It's payload capacity is said to be 8 ton, though so far as I'm aware, nobody has ever put that to the test - I'd be leery of the idea, since the articulation point would be a stone bitch to fix if it gave under load...

In a nutshell, it's QUITE the monster vehicle. And at nearly 12 tons, fueled and fully outfitted, it could stomp any of the so-called "monster trucks" like Bigfoot, Gravedigger, etc, flat with very little effort.

And that's without using any of the 8 hardpoints it has to mount real weaponry instead of just the movie-prop versions it sported in the film.

It'd make one mutha of a camper, lemme tell ya... :)

Only thing I'd absolutely have to change on the Landmaster would be it's power plant, the old 391 industrial Ford gas burner would have to be upgraded to a heavy duty diesel of the Detroit family, like a 8V71TT or even a 92 series seeing as it weighs over 20k pounds empty.

And it cost 350k in '76 to build, the movie shows two but it's just the one and fancy camera tricks.

Among other things, yes. Since I have no idea how familiar you might be with it, it's a quite real vehicle, though a "one-shot", that was purpose built in 1976 for the making of the movie "Damnation Alley". At one point in time (not sure if it's still true) it was 100% street-legal, and carried the California plate "LANDMSTR". When it was "in its prime", it could do 50+ over terrain that would make a Jeep, or even Hummer, sit down and cry, 110 on a good road, and just short of 30 in calm water of suitable depth, with ZERO alterations or prep needed to move from one environment to the next (other than the obvious precaution of making sure the doors are shut when entering the water to prevent it taking on water, though it's supposedly able to stay afloat even when half filled with water.) It'll self-right if it's in deep enough water and gets flipped somehow, can cross terrain strewn with 2.5 foot boulders/ledges/dropoffs as if it were driving on the freeway, has nearly 3 feet of ground clearance, can climb and descend stairs up to 3 feet high per step, and the claim has been made (though I don't know if anybody's actually tested it) that it can crawl up a 50 degree slope with less effort than most vehicles on the road use to climb a 4% grade. It's payload capacity is said to be 8 ton, though so far as I'm aware, nobody has ever put that to the test - I'd be leery of the idea, since the articulation point would be a stone bitch to fix if it gave under load...

In a nutshell, it's QUITE the monster vehicle. And at nearly 12 tons, fueled and fully outfitted, it could stomp any of the so-called "monster trucks" like Bigfoot, Gravedigger, etc, flat with very little effort.

And that's without using any of the 8 hardpoints it has to mount real weaponry instead of just the movie-prop versions it sported in the film.

It'd make one mutha of a camper, lemme tell ya... :)
Wasn't familiar at all, that's badass.

Only thing I'd absolutely have to change on the Landmaster would be it's power plant, the old 391 industrial Ford gas burner would have to be upgraded to a heavy duty diesel of the Detroit family, like a 8V71TT or even a 92 series seeing as it weighs over 20k pounds empty.

And it cost 350k in '76 to build, the movie shows two but it's just the one and fancy camera tricks.

There was talk of jumping up the powerplant at one point, back around ... I wanna say it was 1985 or so ... but the idea got axed because the rest of the drive-train was thought to be unable to handle much more power than what it already has - the big worry, or so I read, was that the gearing in the Tri-Star hubs wouldn't be able to take much more torque than the original (current, to the best of my knowledge) power plant produced without starting to shear off teeth left, right, and sideways. At one point, I could have told you which vehicle the hubs were built from, but that was a fair number of years ago. While it was designed to be easily serviced using truck-graveyard parts in the story, the reality was that they had to cut some corners in the actual build, and it's actually pretty picky about what gets put into it. (Why do I keep wanting to say it was a '71 Peterbilt that supplied the hub gears? I don't think that's right, but it keeps jumping into my mind)

Yeah the tri star drive units would definitely be the weakest link, they were custom built using who knows what inside them, the axles themselves are from a big rig so unlikely to care about power nor weight.

Yeah the tri star drive units would definitely be the weakest link, they were custom built using who knows what inside them, the axles themselves are from a big rig so unlikely to care about power nor weight.
If what I've read is correct, they had to rebuild one of those Tri-Stars during filming after blowing them up during one of the "running fast" scenes. Apparently, the destruction was due to a big rock that it tried to "step over" being flung up into the wheel-well, and jamming between the wheel frame and the body, locking the frame in place with none of the wheels in it making contact with the ground. In theory, that's not supposed to be able to do anything nasty to the tri-star configuration - the wheels should just spin wild while the frame is "frozen". I'm guessing here, but I'd think that the problem was that the wheels themselves over-spun until the frame twisted enough to let one touch down, and that ripped the gears out when it abruptly came under load while at speed.

A 18 wheeler with a mobile house built in.🤣
Sounds like you're talking about a late-80's australian rig called the "Earthcruiser". Four bedrooms on two levels (two with slide-outs - one of, if not the, first times the slide-out concept was actually used, rather than just talked about, or so I'm given to believe), two baths, (one full-size, complete with bathtub and his-and-hers sinks/vanity counter downstairs, shower stall, toilet and vanity/sink upstairs) kitchen, living room, dining room, and laundry room. Only three of them made that I ever heard of, then the company went tango-uniform. Built in a heavily modified 53 foot Fruehauf dry-box, with a cabover Pete supplying the "go". On-board genny and water treatment system, enough "baggage room" below to make the checked-baggage compartments on a Greyhound bus look like a couple of small suitcases by comparison. Estimated self-contained "off-grid" time with careful food/supply choices: 8 months - just find a good-sized puddle to drop the water intake hose into, and tell the world to go fuck itself. All yours, for the modest price of just over 6 million aussie-bucks - then. No clue what they'd sell for today, assuming any of them still exist.

I used to have dreams about being completely "mobile", without being miserable in the process - at one point, I'd soaked up enough info about every flavor of RV that you're ever likely to have heard of, and probably some you never even dreamed existed, that I probably could have gone to work as a salesman for ANY RV maker and been their "wunderkind". Trouble is, while I might've had the knowledge, the plain fact is I couldn't (and still can't) sell space heaters to eskimos, air conditioners to Iraqis, or french fries to a starving man, and I damn-well know it.

Sounds like you're talking about a late-80's australian rig called the "Earthcruiser". Four bedrooms on two levels (two with slide-outs - one of, if not the, first times the slide-out concept was actually used, rather than just talked about, or so I'm given to believe), two baths, (one full-size, complete with bathtub and his-and-hers sinks/vanity counter downstairs, shower stall, toilet and vanity/sink upstairs) kitchen, living room, dining room, and laundry room. Only three of them made that I ever heard of, then the company went tango-uniform. Built in a heavily modified 53 foot Fruehauf dry-box, with a cabover Pete supplying the "go". On-board genny and water treatment system, enough "baggage room" below to make the checked-baggage compartments on a Greyhound bus look like a couple of small suitcases by comparison. Estimated self-contained "off-grid" time with careful food/supply choices: 8 months - just find a good-sized puddle to drop the water intake hose into, and tell the world to go fuck itself. All yours, for the modest price of just over 6 million aussie-bucks - then. No clue what they'd sell for today, assuming any of them still exist.

I used to have dreams about being completely "mobile", without being miserable in the process - at one point, I'd soaked up enough info about every flavor of RV that you're ever likely to have heard of, and probably some you never even dreamed existed, that I probably could have gone to work as a salesman for ANY RV maker and been their "wunderkind". Trouble is, while I might've had the knowledge, the plain fact is I couldn't (and still can't) sell space heaters to eskimos, air conditioners to Iraqis, or french fries to a starving man, and I damn-well know it.
I don’t care what it is. As long as it runs with no problems, got room for me and a few dogs I’m good.😂

Back