What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Just moved onto the fourth and final part of "The Once & Future King" T.H. White's Arthurian tales.
This final part is called 'Candle in the wind' which makes me think of Marilyn Monroe.
Aren't there five parts to that? Or does 'The Book of Merlyn' not count for some reason?
Nevermind. The Book of Merlyn was mostly rubbish, no wonder it was cut from the original publication. It was nice to see the ants and geese in their original context though; I felt like something was missing with them in The Sword in the Stone, and now I know. And Cavall's one and only line was perfect.

Last edited:
Sirius: A Fantasy of Love and Discord by Olaf Stapledon.

It's one of the first serious attempts at uplift xenofiction: in other words, what would it actually be like to be a super-intelligent dog? Turns out, your life would suck pretty bad. Stapledon can't write dialogue for shit, but I otherwise enjoyed it.

I actually read it a while back and I'm just flicking through it because I couldn't remember one important detail: was he fucking his foster-sister?
Yes, he was. Before you get your hopes up, it's not at all sexy. The fact that I couldn't remember it should be evidence of this.
One of my favorite books, zoo theme, if it can be considered as such. Although nothing extremely explicit about sex ever appears in the book, it rather describes them both as the same Sirius-Plaxi soul. It is more a story of love, romance between two totally different species and so similar at the same time, a story that tells us that "loving" outside the norms of society is a sentenced... Although in some stanzas of the book the author Olaf describes indirectly hot scenes does not go beyond that, that doubt is left to the reader's interpretation......

Last edited:
Alive by P. P. Read

The true story of the Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes mountains, and how they survived.

Just finished the "299 Days" series by Glen Tate - Everybody ought to read that one. Not just a good tale, but quite educational.
Starting on a re-run of "NOS4A2" by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son, if you're interested)

Finished Rising Son tuesday night. Whew, that was a badly written book, the entire first 3rd of it was a massive pointless info dump of characters and a "magic" room which played no part in the plot. Yet for some reason it's included on lists of best DS9 books.

Started Star Trek Engines of Destiny last night.

Code by Charles Petzold. You start with a basic description of information theory using Morse code as the example, and then it builds off that example until it’s describing the internals of modern (ish) computers. You don’t need ANY other prior knowledge, just an interest in “how things work”.

I read the first edition years ago, and I can honestly say I still reference it. Giving the new 2nd edition a read through this weekend.

Finished Engines of Destiny, cool book that takes Scotty from the TNG episode Relics, has him travel back in time to save Kirk from being sucked into the Nexus at the start of Generations, and as a result of him not being in the Nexus to help Picard, Picard is killed and subsequently can't follow the Borg queen back in time in First Contact to stop her assimilating Earth. Thereby creating a timeline where the Borg control the space around Earth and the Federation never came to be.

Think I'm going to start Blood Trail by Tanya Huff next.

time permitting
Gotta find the time. 8 months ago I was reading 1 book a month, told myself I need to start reading a lot more if I'm EVER going to get through the over 3k novels I have pirated. Since March I've ready about 40 novels, a couple in as little as 2 days.

Finished Blood Trail, pretty neat take on werewolves.

Gonna tackle various short stories the rest of the week.

Gotta find the time. 8 months ago I was reading 1 book a month, told myself I need to start reading a lot more if I'm EVER going to get through the over 3k novels I have pirated. Since March I've ready about 40 novels, a couple in as little as 2 days.
I still havent started shit lol

Another great one was Empire of the Summer moon. SC Gwynne. Good historical read on the Comanches.. Alot of US Western expansion history I never knew (I hear its common history from some Texans though)

After years of stubbornly ignoring literary classics ever since I left high school, another zoo a few years back recommended me Marcus Aurelius' Meditations and Thoreau's Walden. Wasn't so much of a fan of the former, currently started with the latter and I feel much more at home with it thus far.

Back