What are Some Things That Annoy you That Non-Zoo "Pet Owners" Do

I have to agree with you on the smacking bit. That people hitting their pets over the littlest "infractions" Is wrong. I have a coworker that has 3 dogs and she's told me and the other people on our team that she dishes out "spankings" every time her dogs "misbehaves." Which is not only cringeworthy, but you can't help but to feel bad for her animals. Even barking at a stranger out the window is a spankable offence to her. She's basically punishing her dogs for acting like dogs.

I seldom ever have to lay a hand on my girls. Verbal communication and verbal training is so much more effective. The only time I'm forced to lay a hand on them is if they are putting myself or themselves in immediate danger. But that's almost never, since our communication skills are pretty well understood. Most of the time they know what I want from them, and most of the time I know what they want from me. Although, my little mutt mix likes to act hard of hearing sometimes! Lol

Last edited:
I agree with you on the smacking too. That’s just creating trauma for the animal & resentment/fear toward the owner. I may do a little butt tap occasionally, but that’s it. Just a physical sign that hey, maybe don’t do that. Gets their attention. I would do the same to a human. Lol

I‘ve heard of people putting their pets noses in their urine if they pee in the house so they don’t do it again. I don’t understand that at all! That’s not helping anyone. There are better ways of training or discliping your pets. Body language & verbal communication go a long way. Animals are smart, some more than others, but you have to know how to effectively communicate with them.

On a lighter note, I would call my pets babies though. Sorry i think it’s cute. ☺

smacking their pets isn't just an annoyance... i think ppl that do that as their go-to "training" method are just evil, same with ppl who'd put their pets noses in their urine/poo to make them do that not in the house. i mean, maybe walk them sometimes?

i also hope there is a special place in hell for people who get a dog, put him/her in their yard and that's it. no walks, no interaction just a meal or two per day as if all he/she was to them was "alarm that runs on food". i had a few words with "owners" like that and their answer was always the same, "a dog is supposed to guard" and that was that...
my neighbors three houses over have this gorgeous looking border collie girl who has "life" just like this, withering away alone in a yard barking at everything, because she doesn't know anything. isn't socialized or anything. but being a smart gal, she did figure out how to escape and started roaming for a while. the neighbors put a stop to that and "fixed" it with a fucking shock collar. it's fucking atrocious going past their house and seeing her trying to approach the fence to at least bark at a stranger and her collar starts beeping when she gets too close. what i hate about this the most is that there's nothing to report anywhere, in the eyes of the law she is "provided for". she has her dog house, has enough water and is well fed. imagining these people think they are better than me because they don't sleep with animals (in both senses of the word) is the worst

smacking their pets isn't just an annoyance... i think ppl that do that as their go-to "training" method are just evil, same with ppl who'd put their pets noses in their urine/poo to make them do that not in the house. i mean, maybe walk them sometimes?

i also hope there is a special place in hell for people who get a dog, put him/her in their yard and that's it. no walks, no interaction just a meal or two per day as if all he/she was to them was "alarm that runs on food". i had a few words with "owners" like that and their answer was always the same, "a dog is supposed to guard" and that was that...
my neighbors three houses over have this gorgeous looking border collie girl who has "life" just like this, withering away alone in a yard barking at everything, because she doesn't know anything. isn't socialized or anything. but being a smart gal, she did figure out how to escape and started roaming for a while. the neighbors put a stop to that and "fixed" it with a fucking shock collar. it's fucking atrocious going past their house and seeing her trying to approach the fence to at least bark at a stranger and her collar starts beeping when she gets too close. what i hate about this the most is that there's nothing to report anywhere, in the eyes of the law she is "provided for". she has her dog house, has enough water and is well fed. imagining these people think they are better than me because they don't sleep with animals (in both senses of the word) is the worst
Reading this made me both sad for the poor pup & angry at those owners. Everytime i hear that excuse, well they’re an animal, like less than. Guess what, so are humans. How about we tie you up to your house all day, providing you the bare minimum to live & see how you like it. True some animals are for work. But most times, those animals are extremely well cared for. A happy animal is going to be a productive one, just like humans. You do your job better when you’re happier.

Plus they probably don’t have anything worth guarding. Bunch of assholes. & I’m sure there is a special place for them. :) Here’s to hoping!

Definitely the misguided abusive "training" methods mentioned above but also treating dogs they they are stupid or like children angers and annoys me. People need to treat dogs as adults with respect and understanding, understand they are dogs and let them be themselves. I could type a essay about the problems I have with pet dog owners. One of the reasons I decided to pursue a career in dog training is to inform people and get rid of the misconceptions that most people think are true. Such as establishing dominance to get a dog to "listen" because more often than not this is just abuse

I get real angry at people with small dogs or popular "family dog" breeds who don't train or socialize their dog at all because they think either the constant biting & snarling is "cute," or they can't hurt anyone bc they're small, or that a "family" breed will automatically be well behaved w/o any work put in

stereotyping that all Chinese eat dogs, or that sort of thing.
it's ridiculous, essentially the same as 'all Americans are overweight' or 'all Koreans have taken plastic surgery'. (By listing those two examples i do NOT mean them. I just want to provide a picture of the stereotypes in a way more people can relate.)

I have to agree with you on the smacking bit. That people hitting their pets over the littlest "infractions" Is wrong. I have a coworker that has 3 dogs and she's told me and the other people on our team that she dishes out "spankings" every time her dogs "misbehaves." Which is not only cringeworthy, but you can't help but to feel bad for her animals. Even barking at a stranger out the window is a spankable offence to her. She's basically punishing her dogs for acting like dogs.

I seldom ever have to lay a hand on my girls. Verbal communication and verbal training is so much more effective. The only time I'm forced to lay a hand on them is if they are putting myself or themselves in immediate danger. But that's almost never, since our communication skills are pretty well understood. Most of the time they know what I want from them, and most of the time I know what they want from me. Although, my little mutt mix likes to act hard of hear sometimes! Lol
cringe.... "spankings" acting like they are children or has a control issue maybe a little bit of both.

it's ridiculous, essentially the same as 'all Americans are overweight' or 'all Koreans have taken plastic surgery'. (By listing those two examples i do NOT mean them. I just want to provide a picture of the stereotypes in a way more people can relate.)
You're right about the Americans being overweight stereotype, being incorrect. I'm 5 foot and 666.66lbs. I'm about your average weight for an American, I'm not that heavy! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You're right about the Americans being overweight stereotype, being incorrect. I'm 5 foot and 666.66lbs. I'm about your average weight for an American, I'm not that heavy! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
yes i know that, and that's why stereotypes are annoying:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I've seen quite a few Americans, so I totally understand that the overweight stereotype is ridiculous; yet there are still people who haven't, so they might be tricked into that stereotype. Just as some people never met any Chinese and presume that we Chinese all eat dogs:mad:

People who feed their pets the same food every single day. :mad: Imagine if you had to eat a bowl of Corn Flakes three times a day, seven days a week, and all year long for your entire life.
Well in my case my girl has a very sensitive stomach. I tried 7 different types of pet food before I found one that didn't make her sick to the point she'd shut down and stop eating, due to stomach pain. I've found one that thus far works for her and I don't have any plans on changing it soon.

However, there are people that like to buy the cheapest food possible and never switch it out, even if they are, or become, financially well off.

My ex had family that treated all their animals as a cashgrab. They put the bare minimum into them; the livestock had the absolute bare minimum in care, two of their dogs that they bred were bred as much as possible, the female was locked up in a dirty pen and the male was allowed to free-roam, while a third dog they had got to the point where he couldn't get up because he was so eaten up with arthritis before they finally put him down--not to mention they never even treated him for it to begin with. They also exposed him and the other male to essential oils that were toxic to them, because "they can get away from it if they don't like it" (FUCK doTerra).

But no, if they had ever found out about me, I'd be the monster who gives her one dog a loving environment, varied foods, a ton of toys, lots of treats and praise, that I take the effort to take him to the vet often, among a dozen other steps, all because I'd let him mount me of his own volition (once he's old enough at least).

There are people who still do that? Yow.

Yeah I hate shock collars, chokers, bark collars, etc. This is a form of physical and psychological torture. You would go to jail if you did this to a human but because their a different species this is okay. What the fuck is wrong with people. "My dog wonlt stop barking" then try proper training or spend more time with your dog, "my dog keeps running away" well yeah you are attaching torture devices to them what did you expect. It really pisses me off when people do this.

People who feed their pets the same food every single day. :mad: Imagine if you had to eat a bowl of Corn Flakes three times a day, seven days a week, and all year long for your entire life.
I totally agree with this that's why I call it dog cereal and not dog food. My girl has done fine on real food with me that we share. Ive tried several brands of dog cereal as well at the one guy on this forum and many of them have made my girl extremely ill or break out in an allergic reaction. Guess what when she eats food with me oh wow who would have guessed all issues go away. Strange how when you stop primarily feeding your dog dried cereals that all the issues go away over time. :p

My ex had family that treated all their animals as a cashgrab. They put the bare minimum into them; the livestock had the absolute bare minimum in care, two of their dogs that they bred were bred as much as possible, the female was locked up in a dirty pen and the male was allowed to free-roam, while a third dog they had got to the point where he couldn't get up because he was so eaten up with arthritis before they finally put him down--not to mention they never even treated him for it to begin with. They also exposed him and the other male to essential oils that were toxic to them, because "they can get away from it if they don't like it" (FUCK doTerra).

But no, if they had ever found out about me, I'd be the monster who gives her one dog a loving environment, varied foods, a ton of toys, lots of treats and praise, that I take the effort to take him to the vet often, among a dozen other steps, all because I'd let him mount me of his own volition (once he's old enough at least).
Yeah the laws and morals of people are fucked sadly. You actually care and love your companion and people call you a monster. You torture, electrocute, feed bland meals day in and out, beat, rub the animals mouth and snout in feces and urine, and last but not least leave your dog out in the rain and you are the picture perfect dog owner.

Most kibble is mostly plant-based filler made from corn. Terrible stuff. Even the so-called high quality kibbles are often full of junk! That's why you've always gotta look at the top 3 ingredients at least some they're listed in order of volume.

I used to feed my cats a fairly expensive meat-first kibble... they loved the stuff but my males got tom block.? Now they're on a mix of urinary health wet food to keep them hydrated & sensitive stomach kibble bc they throw up easily otherwise. They get plenty of treats too.

Hell even my fish have a varied diet. Bug flakes, algae tabs, bloodworms, brine shrimp, poached zucchini, and shrimp powder for the babies.

Yeah I hate shock collars, chokers, bark collars, etc. This is a form of physical and psychological torture

It's disgusting how many dog trainers use these techniques. I can't wait to be a established trainer so I can teach people the dangers of these devices and methods. At this point in my life all I care about is helping dogs, and they say we are monsters smh

It's disgusting how many dog trainers use these techniques. I can't wait to be a established trainer so I can teach people the dangers of these devices and methods. At this point in my life all I care about is helping dogs, and they say we are monsters smh
I just dont understand shock therapy for humans was a failure and even caused psychosis.

I just dont understand shock therapy for humans was a failure and even caused psychosis.
I read and learn everything I can about dog training. I even went to a trainer that uses these techniques to understand them better before making a decision about them ( I was already against these methods before learning about them, they didn't sound ethical or nice). What I've learned is that the dog listens with the e collar because they are constantly aware of it's presence, meaning they live with constant worry and fear that they will be shocked. That is definitely not the relationship I want with my dog or anyone else to have with their dog. I would rather get to the root of the behavior issue and solve it slowly with understanding, positivity and trust rather than discipline and fear.

Not to be That Guy but the modern form of electroconvulsive therapy actually helps a lot of people with issues like severe depression, bipolar, & schizophreniform disorders when more typical treatment fails. It's infinitely more humane than it used to be... It's done under general anesthesia. Definitely more humane than a shock collar.

Not to be That Guy but the modern form of electroconvulsive therapy actually helps a lot of people with issues like severe depression, bipolar, & schizophreniform disorders when more typical treatment fails. It's infinitely more humane than it used to be... It's done under general anesthesia. Definitely more humane than a shock collar.
Two completely different things but I see what he was getting at

Back