What are Some Things That Annoy you That Non-Zoo "Pet Owners" Do

Well in my case my girl has a very sensitive stomach. I tried 7 different types of pet food before I found one that didn't make her sick to the point she'd shut down and stop eating, due to stomach pain. I've found one that thus far works for her and I don't have any plans on changing it soon.
Like @QuantumHusky suggested, you could try to give your dogs some of the food you cook or order for yourself—just make sure it's not just junk food and look up the ingredients to check that they aren't poisonous for dogs. You can ask food questions here in the forums too. I have also had the experience of a dog who was very sensitive to different kinds of dog food but digested everything else I gave him well.

I think a lot of dog food has rather poor ingredients, but the processing may also play a role. Dog food is usually supposed to be non-perishable for a year or more, which isn't the case with most fresh, unaltered edibles. Whichever means they use to make the food last long might also destroy some of the qualities we appreciate in food.

Personally, I feed some food made for canines in the morning and otherwise share my food or give my dog food that has been prepared for humans that I don't eat myself (e.g. fish).

Adding to this, but I realized another thing yesterday.
If your dog does any of the following at the dog park, maybe train them a bit more before you bring them in:
1. Steal and hoard toys. I bring toys to bond with Bear and train him. I don't mind your dogs catching the frisbee/ball, as long as they release it when told (or after a brief game of tug). I'm not here to spend 90% of my time chasing your dog.
2. Destroy toys. Don't bring your dog if they're going to destroy someone's toys, or at least be prepared to replace that toy. I shower Bear with toys so he has a variety of things to play with. If your dog destroys his $5 frisbee, you better be ready to pay $5 to replace it.
3. Humping another dog. Yeah if they try, come over and discipline them. I understand animals will do that. But I don't care if you're into that, you don't know me, you don't know my dog, and if yours starts humping mine, get it off or I will.
4. Bully/harass a specific dog. It's one thing to run around and chase a dog, then go chase someone else. But when your dog is constantly harassing and knocking over one specific dog (my dog for example) and won't let him up, and he's laying there, tail tucked and wide-eyed, that's not just "how they play". Your dog is bullying mine, get him off mine and let him run.

And one for the humans: Get off your damned phone and pay attention to the dogs. Don't let them do this shit, and don't let them piss on a bench seat ffs.

Electrotherapy does not equal shock torture.
That might be so but the point is that people are legally allowed to shock torture their dogs. Like there are literally training collars that is have a button on them to shock whenever the owner wants to. Thats fucked up.. You cant tell me that this isn't sadistic. If you are okay with this then fuck you for real.

Attachments

• fuckthis1.PNG
    fuckthis1.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
That might be so but the point is that people are legally allowed to shock torture their dogs. Like there are literally training collars that is have a button on them to shock whenever the owner wants to. Thats fucked up.. You cant tell me that this isn't sadistic. If you are okay with this then fuck you for real.
So sad... I could never imagine using something so impersonal and torturous as shock collars... would you do that to your child? Your spouse? But because they're not human, people feel okay doing it.. and they say "Oh I love Fido, he's my best friend!" as they shock him for doing nothing wrong

Why are we the only ones that see this is fucked up? Are people that fucking stupid?
they really are, my friend :/ in a society where so many people see pets as accessories that have to be controlled and manipulated to "appear impressive" for their social media and to uphold societal "norms" (sins more like), they really don't care about how the animal feels about their situation. Truly disgusting. And they say us zoos, who love and care for our animals on an entirely higher level, are the sickos..

Right! you are really going to allow for invasive surgery because you are to lazy & irresponsible to watch your dog o.o
Always had a problem with the reasoning, too! "Oh what if my dog gets out", well if you're incapable of ensuring the health and safety of a creature, such that it can't "escape" and get hurt or in trouble, maybe you're not responsible enough to have one.. we get licenses to drive, own guns, do certain jobs, but to own another living being? Totally fine, just show up with cash and it's yours...

Im going to take a break from this for a bit guys just getting too pissed off and sad to be honest. Keep this thread going and ill check in.
Same, I had to leave for a bit yesterday, the way alot of people treat dogs infuriates me. Took a nap with my girls and then all was right with the world.

This might not be as bad as much of the straight up abuse mentioned previously but: Physically moving the dog. I don't mean picking up a dog that's asking to picked up but gripping a dog by its collar or by the ass and placing him/her somewhere... That "thing" has 4 legs and a brain and is perfectly capable of going pretty much anywhere you just have tell him/here where...

I guess at the end of the day it all boils down to a lack of respect.

I knew this one couple that had a 6yr old female mutt they kept locked in the basement laundry room in the dark or on nice days in the backyard but always by herself she wasn't chipped didn't have a collor unfortunately or fortunately one day she got out ran away and was never found

I despise it when some people simply don't take time for their companions. It's heartbreaking to watch folks using their phone while going for the smallest possible walk and leaving their dogs no free room whatsoever. No sniffing, no exploring, no greeting other dogs at all!
Other times people don't spent any time at all for training (not "tricks", but rather essentials like "Stop", "Leave it", ...). For a great relationship, communication is key. People need to learn their companion's language and special quirks as well as they have to teach their companion visual cues and some of our language. Instead, some people use leashes to force them into obedience. Wanna meet a pup walking by? Better yank on the leash to get them going. Wrong direction? Yank on the leash. Spraying a scent mark? You guessed it. Yes, in some situations it might be better to stop them using the leash, but it should be rather the exception than the norm. By not communicating clearly what you want to do, they will become insecure, or in the worst case aggressive if they associate something like meeting other dogs with painful pulling, but can we blame them for that? I figure these people are responsible for terrible accidents and thus for the introduction of obnoxious pet owner's laws. I trust my girl to the fullest and "illegally" walk her off-leash, our senior boy I'll keep on the leash as he does understand what I say most of the time but sometimes he won't listen and tries to walk onto the street or go to aggressive dogs.

Unfortunately, there also still seem to be a lot of people that do not exercise and entertain their companions enough. Of course, if they come back to destroyed furniture and ripped apart pillows it's not on them but rather on the "bad" dog that just had to vent out. There are so much people getting a racing-line Husky and bad-mouthing them because they are lazy idiots that did no research before getting a dog.

Also, I couldn't believe when I saw an old hag lifting her poor pocket dog up by the leash while my girl and I were on the other side of the street. At least the dog had a harness instead of a collar as this would have been an even greater torture.

Oh, and don't get me started neutering, i.e. mutilating dogs for convenience. Of course, if it is medically necessary (had to make that choice for my girl too due to Pyometra a year ago), there's not much you can do. If it is somehow not possible to keep them fully intact (only thing I can think of are strays, if at all), why don't go for an ovary-sparing spay? But what really grinds my grears is the implication by calling it "fixing" as if their "furbabies" are "broken" by nature and must be saved by their "loving" and "caring" "daddies" and "mommies" so that mating behaviours don't break the illusion of "child-like" animals.

Sorry for venting that much, it got a little bit out of control :oops:

I too hate it when people refer to spaying/neutering as "fixing". I know it's actually "fix" as in "to lock into a state" but to most people they think of it as "to repair something broken". No motherfucker you're the one breaking it :gsd_sad:

Lot of good dog posts here, but I'll mention the horse abuses I've seen:

Stables full of dust, cobwebs and with rotting weathered planks that represent fire hazards.

Confining horses to 12 ft by 12 ft stalls. This is effectively the same as locking a person in their bed and never allowing them to leave, not even to go to the bathroom.

Broken or barbed wire fences in disrepair that can cause cuts and other injuries.

Total lack of proper budget for manure handling, infrequent baths, infrequent hoof care and no access to veterinary care.

I've seen horses wade around in multiple foot deep manure, it's actually fairly common for horse areas to be allowed to just have a manure floor. While it eventually dries out into a flakey dust like material, it's pretty unsanitary and means that any injury is at much greater risk of infection. The smell and powdered manure also can cause lung injuries.

Most of these problems I've seen are problems related to the declining horse market and a lack of free spending funds to invest in nicer facilities. Rising labor costs and general technophobia make people scared of using automated feed and watering solutions. People take very little or no consideration to animal boredom, humans can hardly sit still in one place with nothing to do for more than about an hour. They expect their pets to just sit quietly all day with not even a tv to watch or a friend to interact with.

Demonizing E-Collars, Prong collars and chokers before even understanding how those things are actually used and instead screaming "AbUsE" the very first nanosecond they see one of those tools on a dog.

Demonizing E-Collars, Prong collars and chokers before even understanding how those things are actually used and instead screaming "AbUsE" the very first nanosecond they see one of those tools on a dog.
i'm sure you can explain how shocking a dog or giving him/her a prong collar or a choker is not abusive then...

E-collars aka electric collars, fuck them. There are way better methods. However, I do agree that prong collars aren't necessarily the worst thing out there to curb leash pulling. You can put one on yourself and pull it, it'll feel uncomfortable, but it will not exactly hurt you. I'm not going to use one though.

i'm sure you can explain how shocking a dog or giving him/her a prong collar or a choker is not abusive then...
Actually I can.

Did you know that a so called "shock collar" has settings that reach from 0 to 100?
I guess you didn't.
We humans feel a sensation at about 20 to 25 when putting that collar on our skin and tap. Note: a sensation. Not even near an electric shock.
Dogs feel that sensation around 4 to 6, that means for us humans it isn't possibly noticeable.
I wouldn't describe that sensation as a vibration but rather something tingly or what.
This extremely mild electric impulse is used to get a dog's attention, when nonverbal or verbal cues fail. Yes. This is possible, dogs are living beings, no matter how well you are able to communicate with each other or how well the dog is trained, there always can be a dangerous situation occurring.
(Btw I'm not saying that every dog needs it or that everyone should use it).

Why does the intensity reach up to 100?
Dogs, just like every other animal loose sensitivity when adrenaline rises high in blood. Having the opportunity to still call your dog back even though it's chasing that neighbour's cat is extremely important. You can go from a 6 to 30 by slowly increasing intensity on the electric sensation and you can stop increasing it immediately after the dog notices that you want something from him.
Sensitivity varies by state of mind, type of coat, skintype and whatsoever.

A Choker, I agree on not choking the dog as a correction since it's kinda stupid and I've never heard of a dog responding to being choked the way the human wanted the dog to respond. Chain chokers still look Hella fine on dogs, basically never break, are easy to clean and maintain (you don't have to do anything). There is a way to leash up the choker in a way that it will NOT choke the dog but just function as a normal collar.

A Prong works almost similar to the e-collar, except you can't use it on an off leash dog.
The prong will put LESS pressure on a dog's neck when the dog is a heavy puller on occasion. It's not going to damage the internal organs located in the neck like normal collars might do.
The makes corrections a lot easier, faster and more precise, as you don't have to use as much pressure as you have to create on a 5cm Nylon collar.
Imagine walking down the street with a 45kg reactive German Shepherd.
This dog sees another dog and goes crazy on that leash. The German Shepherd will pull you over to that other dog or choke the shit out of itself when on a normal collar. But most important: it will not give a single shit about your treats, your toy, your words, or you trying to change direction.
If the Gsd has a Prong, you can tell him "No" and give him a leash pop, change direction. That dog will actually look at you and start to think about what YOU as the human part of the relationship want from it or what you think about that strange dog on the other side of the street.
However, I am NOT saying that every German Shepherd or even dog needs a Prong collar when dealing with those or other kinds of problems. Training is about finding the most comfortable way for the owner AND the dog and finding the method that works best for you and your dog.
Some dogs actually are comfortable with the Prong, because they learned to think before exploding and earned the ability to find better ways to get out of the uncomfortable situation of passing by a strange dog or human and eventually they'll understand that that other dog is no threat.
I speak from experience. Not much, but enough to tell you about it.

I hope you could understand what I was trying to say.
Look up "Upstate Canine Academy", Tom Davis has an excellent way to explain things to humans and dogs. He's a great trainer and knows what he does.
I really love the way Americans train, nonbiased and absolutely balanced.

Actually I can.

Did you know that a so called "shock collar" has settings that reach from 0 to 100?
I guess you didn't.
We humans feel a sensation at about 20 to 25 when putting that collar on our skin and tap. Note: a sensation. Not even near an electric shock.
Dogs feel that sensation around 4 to 6, that means for us humans it isn't possibly noticeable.
I wouldn't describe that sensation as a vibration but rather something tingly or what.
This extremely mild electric impulse is used to get a dog's attention, when nonverbal or verbal cues fail. Yes. This is possible, dogs are living beings, no matter how well you are able to communicate with each other or how well the dog is trained, there always can be a dangerous situation occurring.
(Btw I'm not saying that every dog needs it or that everyone should use it).

Why does the intensity reach up to 100?
Dogs, just like every other animal loose sensitivity when adrenaline rises high in blood. Having the opportunity to still call your dog back even though it's chasing that neighbour's cat is extremely important. You can go from a 6 to 30 by slowly increasing intensity on the electric sensation and you can stop increasing it immediately after the dog notices that you want something from him.
Sensitivity varies by state of mind, type of coat, skintype and whatsoever.

A Choker, I agree on not choking the dog as a correction since it's kinda stupid and I've never heard of a dog responding to being choked the way the human wanted the dog to respond. Chain chokers still look Hella fine on dogs, basically never break, are easy to clean and maintain (you don't have to do anything). There is a way to leash up the choker in a way that it will NOT choke the dog but just function as a normal collar.

A Prong works almost similar to the e-collar, except you can't use it on an off leash dog.
The prong will put LESS pressure on a dog's neck when the dog is a heavy puller on occasion. It's not going to damage the internal organs located in the neck like normal collars might do.
The makes corrections a lot easier, faster and more precise, as you don't have to use as much pressure as you have to create on a 5cm Nylon collar.
Imagine walking down the street with a 45kg reactive German Shepherd.
This dog sees another dog and goes crazy on that leash. The German Shepherd will pull you over to that other dog or choke the shit out of itself when on a normal collar. But most important: it will not give a single shit about your treats, your toy, your words, or you trying to change direction.
If the Gsd has a Prong, you can tell him "No" and give him a leash pop, change direction. That dog will actually look at you and start to think about what YOU as the human part of the relationship want from it or what you think about that strange dog on the other side of the street.
However, I am NOT saying that every German Shepherd or even dog needs a Prong collar when dealing with those or other kinds of problems. Training is about finding the most comfortable way for the owner AND the dog and finding the method that works best for you and your dog.
Some dogs actually are comfortable with the Prong, because they learned to think before exploding and earned the ability to find better ways to get out of the uncomfortable situation of passing by a strange dog or human and eventually they'll understand that that other dog is no threat.
I speak from experience. Not much, but enough to tell you about it.

I hope you could understand what I was trying to say.
Look up "Upstate Canine Academy", Tom Davis has an excellent way to explain things to humans and dogs. He's a great trainer and knows what he does.
I really love the way Americans train, nonbiased and absolutely balanced.
Shock collars =/= E-Collars

E-collars are vibrational collars that vibrate on different levels and can actually be quite helpful when stopping a dog from doing something dangerous if they are too far away to actually touch or hold. This guys explains it well and actually, the buff dude in this video has the exact reaction that @vanillamilk was talking about earlier
I personally wouldnt want to use one, although they could be very helpful if you are in early training stages or if something goes wrong and they get off of their leash and end up chasing a squirrel into the road. Afterall, prey drive is not an easily conquered instinct. I mean, its only been around 25,000 years since we first introduced dogs into human civillization so this isnt them being dumb even, its just unfortunate that we arent far enough down the evolution trail to have to not deal with that instinct.

But for both sides, you and your partner this could help if you arent confident in the strength of a new collar/leash or a new training method you're doing. Either way just watch the video to clear up any misconceptions you may have about an E-collar (simply vibrations. Kinda like your phone but 10x weaker when the device is at level 1 to 5) compared to a shock collar (that deserves to be banned for the fact it literally shocks the poor dog that has to wear it).

Lot of good dog posts here, but I'll mention the horse abuses I've seen:

Stables full of dust, cobwebs and with rotting weathered planks that represent fire hazards.

Confining horses to 12 ft by 12 ft stalls. This is effectively the same as locking a person in their bed and never allowing them to leave, not even to go to the bathroom.

Broken or barbed wire fences in disrepair that can cause cuts and other injuries.

Total lack of proper budget for manure handling, infrequent baths, infrequent hoof care and no access to veterinary care.

I've seen horses wade around in multiple foot deep manure, it's actually fairly common for horse areas to be allowed to just have a manure floor. While it eventually dries out into a flakey dust like material, it's pretty unsanitary and means that any injury is at much greater risk of infection. The smell and powdered manure also can cause lung injuries.

Most of these problems I've seen are problems related to the declining horse market and a lack of free spending funds to invest in nicer facilities. Rising labor costs and general technophobia make people scared of using automated feed and watering solutions. People take very little or no consideration to animal boredom, humans can hardly sit still in one place with nothing to do for more than about an hour. They expect their pets to just sit quietly all day with not even a tv to watch or a friend to interact with.
Bless you for posting this. Every horse owner needs to read this!
On behalf of all good horse owners, as well as horses everywhere, thank-you!

Back