Tips for tether training?

That is good advice, but also rewarding desirable behavior helps speed the process and reduces frustration for the dog.
If I say "No" to something you're doing, you have little context to figure out what's right, so you might start trying other things; however, if I add in signalling when you're doing it right, things tend to go smoother because you have guidance on what is wanted and get feedback to help shape it.
'Course.

I'm just saying for this specific case.

Some dogs can get a bit over-excited so rewarding them just makes them more excited and forget about the rule.

Basically, you're turning yourself into a horse here. Tug on the Reins, and we stop. Keep it slack and I follow.

Dogs are quite smart and can handle things without the feedback for simple things.

Want them to do complex stuff like shake or roll over? Then reinforcement is necessary to make things clear.

'Course.

I'm just saying for this specific case.

Some dogs can get a bit over-excited so rewarding them just makes them more excited and forget about the rule.

Basically, you're turning yourself into a horse here. Tug on the Reins, and we stop. Keep it slack and I follow.

Dogs are quite smart and can handle things without the feedback for simple things.

Want them to do complex stuff like shake or roll over? Then reinforcement is necessary to make things clear.
may I ask, I see you have experience with dogs

may I ask, I see you have experience with dogs
Less raw experience.

I just have always naturally clicked with 'em... hence why I'm here of all places.

Most animals have a way of communicating and I just focused on learning that and translating to human.

Granted, it's not gonna be with words, but animals rarely lie and they're usually fairly honest about how they view things.

I have a fair bit of experience, but nothing compared to anyone who had a childhood on a farm... but if you feel I do, feel free to ask away. An alternate perspective on a topic is usually a good thing.

Back