Suggestion: Auto-merge plugin for subsequent posts.

Bloit

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
So, there's quite some users that just don't have the mental capacity to understand they can edit posts, and sometimes post reply after reply after reply to a single thread, when rambling on...

I just stumbled upon this plugin for XenForo:

Something like that could just automatically merge that junk :D

But ain't there a time limit on when you can edit your post?
I can still edit posts from over a year ago.

The problem isn't that users are blocked from editing. The problem is that some users are just idiots that can't figure out how a forum works, even when told many times, like this example... It's far from the first time for that user.

I can still edit posts from over a year ago.

The problem isn't that users are blocked from editing. The problem is that some users are just idiots that can't figure out how a forum works, even when told many times, like this example... It's far from the first time for that user.
Actually that's not exactly true. You have to reach Zooville Settler (150 counted posts) or higher to be able to edit your posts for more the 90 minutes, once those 90 minutes are up, they can no longer edit their posts. Once they reach Zooville Stettler rank or higher, only then will they be able to indefinitely edit posts. That was set awhile back.

Actually that's not exactly true. You have to reach Zooville Settler (150 counted posts) or higher to be able to edit your posts for more the 90 minutes, once those 90 minutes are up, they can no longer edit their posts. Once they reach Zooville Stettler rank or higher, only then will they be able to indefinitely edit posts. That was set awhile back.
Thanks, that explains my experience as to why I thought it was time limited as I must have run into this previously and just thought it was a hard cap

As for the plug-in, it is a freebie, and looks like it might have some usefulness. @ZTHorse it's up to you on whether or not you want to add it for ZV.

I had no idea there was a rank for that, good to know!

As for the plug-in, it is a freebie, and looks like it might have some usefulness. @ZTHorse it's up to you on whether or not you want to add it for ZV.
Yay, somewhat endorsement :D

Some people are conditioned using chat apps like Telegram or Discord, thus thinking its normal to type one liners, then hitting enter.

Some people are conditioned using chat apps like Telegram or Discord, thus thinking its normal to type one liners, then hitting enter.
That's the most bullshit excuse I see... And I see that pretty frequently when suggesting someone edit their post.

How dense and how dumb is that person that they can't tell the difference between a chat app and a forum?

One problem I would see with this is that you can not merge posts that both together have more than 10 photos for example. So unless the plugin knows that, it would probably be a problem.
Also I am having trouble merging/deleting certain old posts with an unspecified database error. Seems like something may be wrong with posts before some update.

Another issue is that right now for example, me posting this second post below my own post will notify you guys of a new reply. But if the plugin merges it before the notification, you would not know that something is happening in the thread you are following.

Then, maybe the plugin already works around these issues.
If it does, I would love to see it added to the forum though as one 10 minute trip into certain sections will show you dozens of multiposts no matter what thread you open.
Those are very often used to quickly bypass the 10 post rule as well.

Another issue is that right now for example, me posting this second post below my own post will notify you guys of a new reply. But if the plugin merges it before the notification, you would not know that something is happening in the thread you are following.
There's some configuration for the plugin, stating "Merge double posts within x minutes".

This would prevent the plugin from trying to merge old content, and it would keep double posts with a long time inbetween.
As for the photo's... No idea, that'd have to be tested.

Reactions: pes
As much as I would love a blowjob from a wolf, you will have to blow one of the admins. :D

I merge multiple posting almost daily.
Can we push this through?
And also apply it on the entire database and not just new posts?
I think people would survive the forum going offline for maintenance for 24 hours if announced considering it breaks for hours frequently anyway.

I doubt the plugin does that, but still :D
I am pretty sure you can do that in sql via a query.
And I would love to see the thousands of people who multiposted just to get to 10 posts over the few past years go back to lurker status.

I don't know how the XenForo database is structured, but I imagine doing that in there is a bit of a hassle. You'd need to account for a lot.

A user's subsequent posts can be interrupted by another user's post.
If a user's post is quoted, that post Id suddenly changes, when merged.
Are a user's subsequent posts in the same thread?
And probably plenty of other edge cases I missed.

I personally wouldn't wanna build a query for that 😅

Back