Purified water versus tap water

I filter all well, run off and rain fall. Modern day tap that’s treated with Fluoride or Chlorinated water is safe. Unless your in a place like Mexico who’s water system is compromised.

I filter all well, run off and rain fall. Modern day tap that’s treated with Fluoride or Chlorinated water is safe. Unless your in a place like Mexico who’s water system is compromised.
I don't trust government treated you never know what they put in it

Government experimenting with chemical warfare on its own citizens in a village from their own water. I also get the feeling the government could contaminate the water for infertility also.
Nah, a government wouldn't contaminate the water to create infertility. Less people means less income they can from taxes. :gsd_wink:

Im on a well that feeds from an aquifer, last time was tested water was about 98.x percent pure. Im sure that helped my boys longetivity some. Passed almost 2 yrs ago. Was 17.5 y.o

Im on a well that feeds from an aquifer, last time was tested water was about 98.x percent pure. Im sure that helped my boys longetivity some. Passed almost 2 yrs ago. Was 17.5 y.o
What breed was your boy, that's a pretty good age if he was a larger dog. I think the quality of what goes into all living things, does certainly help with longevity though.

I guess one needs the definition of "purified" water. In the strict sense of the word, Purified water is not good for anything to drink as it has does not have minerals in it and will, over time, pull minerals from the body = not good. Rule of thumb, if you can drink it, everything else can.

If you're super worried just distill the water.(boil it, and collect the vapor)

I have never met anyone who gave their animals purified water, seems unnecessary. If the tap water in your area is known to be bad then I guess it would make sense.

I normally give my 2 girls tap water. The only time I give them purified water is when my water company sends me an alert letting me know that the water quality might be poor for the next X amount of days. Other than that, tap is safe to drink and has a lot of beneficial minerals.

I personally prefer to do filtered water. Even just one that hook on to the faucet or go under the sink. That at least pulls out some of the chemicals and stuff.

I use filtered water simply because the tap water here is very hard and I don't have a water softener, his bowls would quickly build up deposits otherwise.

Animals are usually more capable of drinking worse water than humans are. So it is good enough for humans, it is more that good enough for animals.
Tap water is already purified and disinfected. The only thing that can happen is a leak in the pipes that would contaminate it.
yep, animals are very resilient

Both me and my Shepard drink the same water…right from the tap. If we go for a long walk I will bring a bottle water for us. And a little bowl for him.

We both seem ok. Or at least ok enough

That might have changed in the meanwhile. Water treatment has improved over the years.
Not to butt in, but my city's local water supply is in the part of the south with lead and brain eating amoebas. I think your statement is too broad to actually be defended.
*edit
in addition, locally we are on a massive limestone deposit. Limestone is calcareous (contains calcium) and is known for its ability to both harden the water and increase the pH, the calcium causing issues with kidney stones and urinary crystals in cats.

Actually, distilled water lacks nutrients and can be harmful to most amphibians, fish, and reptiles. Purified is ideal.
Indeed, destilled water will likely kill you.

It has a high affinity for salts snd minerals that dilute on it. If you do not add befor drinking it, it will "eat away" your body salts and cause serious problems.

I drink tap water. We have a government paid health system and I rely they will not porpusely do anythingthat would cause them to pay millions of people treatement :)

Other than that, all can have problems. Sring and well water csn get contamination from ground filtrations. Rain collected water will get all the bad stuff in the air as it goes down, and can get nasty problems if stored without some bactericide...

And when it comes to dogs, you are extra careful, but when you go to the mountain they will jump into a muddy horribly smelling hog water pit, and get their fill on it before you can stop them... Meh. Tap water looks fine to me 🤣

Indeed, destilled water will likely kill you.

It has a high affinity for salts snd minerals that dilute on it. If you do not add befor drinking it, it will "eat away" your body salts and cause serious problems.

I drink tap water. We have a government paid health system and I rely they will not porpusely do anythingthat would cause them to pay millions of people treatement :)

Other than that, all can have problems. Sring and well water csn get contamination from ground filtrations. Rain collected water will get all the bad stuff in the air as it goes down, and can get nasty problems if stored without some bactericide...

And when it comes to dogs, you are extra careful, but when you go to the mountain they will jump into a muddy horribly smelling hog water pit, and get their fill on it before you can stop them... Meh. Tap water looks fine to me 🤣
As a USA citizen, i'm cursed to have..to live in the USA..where the water is terrible and anytime it rains we get a boil water notice. We have no universal care and backwater infrastructure. There is lead and worse in some regions, mine included.
As well, as someone who doesn't keep mammals beyond a cat, I need to be vigilant about my care bc any small error can kill my animals. Tap water is a no go.

Here, while being drinkable, sometimes water tastes horrible in some places, or is too hard.

In my times, the thing were those resin filters that you recharged with salt.

This days people are quite fond of those osmosis systems. Work really well, but be aware they drop a lots more water that you get.

As a USA citizen, i'm cursed to have..to live in the USA..where the water is terrible and anytime it rains we get a boil water notice. We have no universal care and backwater infrastructure. There is lead and worse in some regions, mine included.
As well, as someone who doesn't keep mammals beyond a cat, I need to be vigilant about my care bc any small error can kill my animals. Tap water is a no go.
There are only a few places I have been in the US where the tap water was undrinkable. One was New Orleans after Katrina (for obvious reasons) and the other was West Texas. Disgusting. But in the midwest I have found no issues with tap. Absolutely agree on the other points you brought up though lol

Yeah, its a sad curse. Up in the mountains where I am snow can sometimes cause the boil water notice which sucks. And I had a lead issues in my water at a previous house, luckily my dogs did not drink it at the time, but my parrot did and his vet prices were honestly crazy but expected. I also use the water from fridge now, filtered water. I'm picky with my own water, so if it tastes alright for me then its fine for my animals.

Back