Neutered male sex information gathering

I have 2 neutered males. The youngest one was neutered at 7mo the older one came neutered around 2 I think.
The older boy still gets aroused, a lot! anytime there is company over it is red rocket city. My youngest will get swollen but no rocket when he gets excited (rolling on the carpet, when you come home, waking up in the morning).
My older boy and I mess around a lot but he doesn't hump. He'll hump my smallest female (also fixed) but won't hump me. So I think it mostly has to do with the sexual maturity of the dog at time of neutering. The youngest boy shows no interest in anything sexual. But my oldest can sometimes be too demanding
Thx for the input!

Neutered as a pup, very unlikely he will have any interest or understanding. As an adult, pretty good odds hell still have interest, but sometimes his staying power will be reduced

The answer to the question "Do Neutered dogs still ejaculate?" is NO

When dogs are neutered the testicles are removed so from that point forward the only fluid that they are able to extrude from their penis is urine.

The answer to the question "Do Neutered dogs still ejaculate?" is NO

When dogs are neutered the testicles are removed so from that point forward the only fluid that they are able to extrude from their penis is urine.
That is incorrect. Only sperm comes from the testicles.

If not so, then by example, men with vasectomies could not produce ejaculate. The majority of ejaculate's composition comes from the prostate, which is unaffected by either castration or vasectomy. Only about 5% of ejaculate comes from testicles.

Seminal fluid is a majority of the ejaculate, carrying the sperm and propelling it during ejaculation and then protecting it, designed to counter the harsh environment of a vagina, which otherwise would attempt to destroy the sperm as an invading contaminant.

It's one of the reasons that "bust a nut" makes me grimace. Semen doesn't come from your nuts,. The majority of your "special sauce" comes from other contributing organs, significantly the seminal vesicles (70%) and the prostate (25%), during ejaculation.

A male dog's reproductive anatomy is similar to a human's. They have seminal vesicles and a prostate. These are what primarily produce that stuff in ejaculate. (Big as they are, ain't no dog got balls big enough to store up all that ejaculate).

No one has to take my word for it. Just Google it.

However, removing testicles does remove the main source of testosterone in the dog (a tiny bit of testosterone will still come from his adrenal gland). And testosterone is primarily where his sex drive comes from. Without a testosterone-fueled sex drive, the poor little guy just can't see it through to the "finish line," if he can even get it up at all. But some dogs can. I've had a dog that could. He was castrated at 7 years of age. His body "remembered" what that thing should do. And he would make a puddle of semen on the floor.

So yes, some castrated dogs *can* produce ejaculate but often don't. That's your answer in a nutshell. (Sorry. Couldn't resist).

Edit: I have since learned that among human men who are castrated, a small but significant faction (10% or so) can still maintain erections and have sex. And of course there's the famous case of the rapist that Gov. Michael Dukakis helped release who almost immediately raped another woman -- 10 years after his punitive castration. And among those men, yep -- some are still ejaculating. Castration never completely eliminates testosterone production. One theory why castrated men can still perform sexually and even still ejaculate is the adrenal gland (which when it notices testosterone levels drop in men normally sends out signals to increase testicular testosterone production and is a testosterone-producer itself) kicks into higher gear and produces more testosterone, trying to pick up the slack. Normally adrenal testosterone has limited impact on men, so castration in most cases (90%, I was seeing) reduces effective testosterone levels enough that that castrated male can't even get it up anymore. But not always. And the organs that produce 95% of the ejaculate obviously are not removed during castration and can still produce sperm-less semen. We don't have similar studies for dogs, I don't think, since only zoos would be interested. And just now I saw an article from a horse veterinarian reporting that as many as 30% of geldings will continue to have erections, mount mares and even ejaculate. In such cases vets need to verify both testicles were indeed removed, but... still, that's an impressive number, 30%. Fascinating!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is incorrect. Only sperm comes from the testicles.

If not so, then by example, men with vasectomies could not produce ejaculate. The majority of ejaculate's composition comes from the prostate, which is unaffected by either castration or vasectomy. Only about 5% of ejaculate comes from testicles. Prostatic fluid is a majority of the ejaculate and carries the sperm in its protective environment, keeping it alive.

It's one of the reasons that "bust a nut" makes me grimace. Semen doesn't come from your nuts, you imbeciles. The majority of your "special sauce" comes from other contributing organs, significantly the prostate, during ejaculation.

Don't take my word for it. Google it.
And when the testicles are gone, the testosterone that tells the accessory glands to activate and produce their part of the ejaculate is also gone. Residual levels may be enough to continue (sperm-free) ejaculation for a time after the mutilation occurs, but at some point, with a trivially small number of exceptions, ejaculation ceases after castration.

Also, equating, even just COMPARING, castration to vasectomy is a textbook example of the classic "apples vs oranges" no-comparison comparison. You might as well try to claim that the color yellow has 12 pages - it's totally meaningless.

Castration: Testicles and everything they produce are *TOTALLY GONE*. Without the stimulation of testosterone produced by the testicles, the rest of the reproductive system reverts to "I'm not sexually mature" mode. Not instantly - it isn't like flipping a switch and watching the lights go out. Precisely how long the reversion takes is open to debate, and almost certainly varies from one individual to the next, but it does, inevitably, happen. Some taper off over the course of a few months, others might go for a year or more without visible change, but sooner or later, with the previously mentioned trivially small number of exceptions, ejaculation ceases because the "production machinery" simply stops producing due to having no "Hey! Prostate/Cowper's Gland/Bulbourethral Gland/etc! Make your product!" orders (testosterone) from the no-longer-there testicles.

Vasectomy: The only thing that goes away is a short segment of the Vas Deferens, leaving everything else, most critically the testosterone production, intact EXCEPT for the tube sperm cells travel through to get from the testicles to the various "staging areas" where they wait prior to being ejaculated. The only thing that changes is that sperm cells can't get from the testicles to the end of the penis. Everything else keeps on working exactly as if nothing at all had been done.

And when the testicles are gone, the testosterone that tells the accessory glands to activate and produce their part of the ejaculate is also gone. Residual levels may be enough to continue (sperm-free) ejaculation for a time after the mutilation occurs, but at some point, with a trivially small number of exceptions, ejaculation ceases after castration.

Also, equating, even just COMPARING, castration to vasectomy is a textbook example of the classic "apples vs oranges" no-comparison comparison. You might as well try to claim that the color yellow has 12 pages - it's totally meaningless.

Castration: Testicles and everything they produce are *TOTALLY GONE*. Without the stimulation of testosterone produced by the testicles, the rest of the reproductive system reverts to "I'm not sexually mature" mode. Not instantly - it isn't like flipping a switch and watching the lights go out. Precisely how long the reversion takes is open to debate, and almost certainly varies from one individual to the next, but it does, inevitably, happen. Some taper off over the course of a few months, others might go for a year or more without visible change, but sooner or later, with the previously mentioned trivially small number of exceptions, ejaculation ceases because the "production machinery" simply stops producing due to having no "Hey! Prostate/Cowper's Gland/Bulbourethral Gland/etc! Make your product!" orders (testosterone) from the no-longer-there testicles.

Vasectomy: The only thing that goes away is a short segment of the Vas Deferens, leaving everything else, most critically the testosterone production, intact EXCEPT for the tube sperm cells travel through to get from the testicles to the various "staging areas" where they wait prior to being ejaculated. The only thing that changes is that sperm cells can't get from the testicles to the end of the penis. Everything else keeps on working exactly as if nothing at all had been done.
You really haven’t contradicted what I said. But yes, I could have gone into more detail about vasectomy. I hadn’t realized it would trigger a digression. I figured most people would have assumed that left intact, they still produce testosterone and the dog maintains full testosterone production. But it’s good biology background for helping people choose vasectomy for their pets over mutilation. When testes are removed, repeating myself (and underscoring what you just emphasized) only adrenal gland production of testosterone continues, which can’t compare to the amount produced by testicles. In MOST male dogs, I would wager, that’s usually sufficient to kill their libido. Trying to stimulate them sexually freaks them out. It’s over for them, sexually.

What I said still stands despite your addition. Some Dogs do, some don’t. While some castrated dogs lose sexual responsiveness almost completely, some castrated dogs continue to be able to get complete erections, even with a fully engorged hard knot, and sustain it. And a few continue to be able to ejaculate. Maybe they had extraordinary adrenal gland production? Don’t know. Just know from personal, real life observation. Not theory. Observed fact. A yellow lab I had that was castrated at 2 years old produced ejaculate till his death at 12, and of course with much less volume, yet still impressively. A yellow lab mix castrated at 7 ejaculated for well over a year, gradually losing any interest in or tolerance for sex play over the next few years until his death at 10 years old.

That castrated males we rescued could do this is why I had searched for an explanation years ago.

I’m sure others here may have other examples.

NOTE that I have never said ALL castrated male dogs can. I have always said “Some do, some don’t.”

The only point of my earlier post was to correct the erroneous assertion that if you cut the nuts off a dog, then it is impossible for it to produce semen. That is incorrect and based on the mistaken assumption ejaculate wholly comes from the nuts.

Bring on the exceptions - until they equal or outnumber the normal "ejaculation stops after castration" cases, they remain exceptions, not the norm. The norm is that when their balls are lopped off, the overwhelming majority of dogs (and any other animal you care to name) cease ejaculating within a relatively short period of time after the mutilation has been performed.

If you luck into one of the vanishingly small number of oddballs that don't fit the pattern, great - you found a unicorn. Congratulations - I'm happy for you. But that doesn't change the reality that one should expect that in the overwhelming majority of cases - so overwhelming that for practical purposes, the number is so small as to be almost impossible to measure - a castrated animal, be it a human, horse, dog, or whatever else you care to name, will cease to ejaculate ANYTHING within a relatively short time after the mutilation is performed. It's not impossible that a particular specimen might continue to produce some sort of ejaculatory fluid on a long-term basis, but it's such a tiny chance that, in real-world conditions, it can be ignored as the aberration it is. Thus, answering the query that was made to start this thread with a blanket "no" is perfectly reasonable, despite the occasional exception that can show up.

"Can it be 27 below zero at noon on the Fourth of July in the town of Charlevoix Michigan?"
Theoretically? Yes, it's possible - hell, when you're talking about the weather, damn near anything is *POSSIBLE*, including downpours of fish, frogs, mud, bricks, and other even more bizarre things.
Realistically? Such a thing hasn't happened in Charlevoix since records started being kept.

So if someone asked me that, I'd answer "no". Just like @knotinterested did for this question.

Bring on the exceptions - until they equal or outnumber the normal "ejaculation stops after castration" cases, they remain exceptions, not the norm. The norm is that when their balls are lopped off, the overwhelming majority of dogs (and any other animal you care to name) cease ejaculating within a relatively short period of time after the mutilation has been performed.

If you luck into one of the vanishingly small number of oddballs that don't fit the pattern, great - you found a unicorn. Congratulations - I'm happy for you. But that doesn't change the reality that one should expect that in the overwhelming majority of cases - so overwhelming that for practical purposes, the number is so small as to be almost impossible to measure - a castrated animal, be it a human, horse, dog, or whatever else you care to name, will cease to ejaculate ANYTHING within a relatively short time after the mutilation is performed. It's not impossible that a particular specimen might continue to produce some sort of ejaculatory fluid on a long-term basis, but it's such a tiny chance that, in real-world conditions, it can be ignored as the aberration it is. Thus, answering the query that was made to start this thread with a blanket "no" is perfectly reasonable, despite the occasional exception that can show up.

"Can it be 27 below zero at noon on the Fourth of July in the town of Charlevoix Michigan?"
Theoretically? Yes, it's possible - hell, when you're talking about the weather, damn near anything is *POSSIBLE*, including downpours of fish, frogs, mud, bricks, and other even more bizarre things.
Realistically? Such a thing hasn't happened in Charlevoix since records started being kept.

So if someone asked me that, I'd answer "no". Just like @knotinterested did for this question.
Ah. Now I see the motive.

There is no argument from me.

Although we all agree now that the answer is, yes, some castrated dogs can ejaculate after castration, and unanimous agreement might otherwise put a thread to a rest, I added an edit this morning to an earlier post, additional information that led to a spin-off question.

I'm adding the question here because, although it's obviously tangential, I don't think it merits a whole new thread. (Or if you think it is a worthy new topic, I can surely start a new thread.) And I'll add the information from the edit here, too, so you don't have to go look it up.

Some castrated men can still have erections and even ejaculate long after their castration. The majority who can't benefit from hormone treatment, taking them artificially, helping them resume a normal, healthy sex life. ... So, why not do the same to increase the testosterone level of a castrated dog? Shouldn't *any* castrated male dog then be able to have a normal, healthy sex life again?

(But how would you get it, since the vet's going to be scratching his/her head and wondering what the hell you up to, fella?)

Seems to be a great solution for those who frustrated folk who have one of the typically disinterested, castrated dogs. (Right?)

Edit I added to the earlier post is here, for convenient reference:
I have since learned that among human men who are castrated, a small but significant faction (10% or so) can still maintain erections and have sex. And of course there's the famous case of the rapist that Gov. Michael Dukakis helped release who almost immediately raped another woman -- 10 years after his punitive castration. And among those men, yep -- some are still ejaculating. Castration never completely eliminates testosterone production. One theory why castrated men can still perform sexually and even still ejaculate is the adrenal gland (which when it notices testosterone levels drop in men normally sends out signals to increase testicular testosterone production and is a testosterone-producer itself) kicks into higher gear and produces more testosterone, trying to pick up the slack. Normally adrenal testosterone has limited impact on men, so castration in most cases (90%, I was seeing) reduces effective testosterone levels enough that that castrated male can't even get it up anymore. But not always. And the organs that produce 95% of the ejaculate obviously are not removed during castration and can still produce sperm-less semen. We don't have similar studies for dogs, I don't think, since only zoos would be interested. And just now I saw an article from a horse veterinarian reporting that as many as 30% of geldings will continue to have erections, mount mares and even ejaculate. In such cases vets need to verify both testicles were indeed removed, but... still, that's an impressive number, 30%. Fascinating!

Doh! Looks like I will start another thread after all. Dogs can and do receive testosterone, mostly to counter detrimental health effects of castration.

We'll see where this goes, but now it's definitely a new topic.

Our boy still hustles for sex and handjobs, it's been over 2 years since he was neutered. He doesn't produce any ejaculate, but he does keep coming back for more.

Hi all. just a quick question.. A castraded make dog...is he able to get an erection? Does he have any sexual drive? Please excuse my ignorance. I have had or know nothing about them.
Thanks. :)

A lot of it depends on when they're neutered; if he was young and never went through doggy puberty there's little chance, but if he grew up beforehand, he might.
My boy is neutered (medical reasons) and he still gets it up and is interested, he's got less staying power, but he comes back for round 2, 3, etc

A lot of it depends on when they're neutered; if he was young and never went through doggy puberty there's little chance, but if he grew up beforehand, he might.
My boy is neutered (medical reasons) and he still gets it up and is interested, he's got less staying power, but he comes back for round 2, 3, etc
thats pretty interesting info, i wil eventually get one but that is my concern since most dogs in the US here are kind forced to be neutered if you get them from shelters.

thats pretty interesting info, i wil eventually get one but that is my concern since most dogs in the US here are kind forced to be neutered if you get them from shelters.

Depends on the group. Most of the large shelters do, but smaller rescue groups will sometimes make exceptions. It pays to talk and actually work with the shelters. Even occasional days of showing up to help with the worst work because you still get exposure to new things, a chance to learn more, a chance to make friends, and an opportunity to build on existing friendships.

An unpopular opinion, but I don't usually take in rescues. Our boy was a rescue, he came to us intact and there wasn't even the hint that he should be otherwise. He was an exception in that I was there for completely other reasons aside from looking for a dog, I wasn't even looking, but he pushed all the right buttons and showed himself to be something special, so I took him home. Some people don't like the puppy days as much, but for me those are some of the best times.

Thanks for that egoldstein. I never thought that the age of thecdog would come into it.. great explanation. :)

Depends on the group. Most of the large shelters do, but smaller rescue groups will sometimes make exceptions. It pays to talk and actually work with the shelters. Even occasional days of showing up to help with the worst work because you still get exposure to new things, a chance to learn more, a chance to make friends, and an opportunity to build on existing friendships.

An unpopular opinion, but I don't usually take in rescues. Our boy was a rescue, he came to us intact and there wasn't even the hint that he should be otherwise. He was an exception in that I was there for completely other reasons aside from looking for a dog, I wasn't even looking, but he pushed all the right buttons and showed himself to be something special, so I took him home. Some people don't like the puppy days as much, but for me those are some of the best times.
thanks, i will definitely look into that then :D

I have a dog who is neutered. He's about a year and a half old.
I've played with him a little, and can feel his knot, but he doesn't really come out of his sheath and I don't want to hurt him.
He comes over, flops on his back, exposes himself and seems to like it when I rub on his sheath, but I stop before he gets too hump-y.
I'm not sure what else to do.

I have a dog who is neutered. He's about a year and a half old.
I've played with him a little, and can feel his knot, but he doesn't really come out of his sheath and I don't want to hurt him.
He comes over, flops on his back, exposes himself and seems to like it when I rub on his sheath, but I stop before he gets too hump-y.
I'm not sure what else to do.
Why do you stop when he gets humpy? Also most dogs do not get an erection on their back, they like it standing up. Let him hump and as he is humping pull the sheath back. Keep pressure behind the knot until he has a nice erection and turns over with his back to you. Keep squeezing the knot and you may try to suck him. You are nor going to get any cum, but at least the prostatic fluid should come out. He may lose his sexual drive over time though because he has been "fixed".

Why do you stop when he gets humpy? Also most dogs do not get an erection on their back, they like it standing up. Let him hump and as he is humping pull the sheath back. Keep pressure behind the knot until he has a nice erection and turns over with his back to you. Keep squeezing the knot and you may try to suck him. You are nor going to get any cum, but at least the prostatic fluid should come out. He may lose his sexual drive over time though because he has been "fixed".

It wasn't my idea to neuter. I wanted to keep him intact, but I was overruled. I started playing with him because he would flip over on his back and lay there with his tongue hanging out when I start to play with his sheath.
I stopped when he gets humpy because it seemed to hurt him. I guess I don't know what the normal response is. He whined and sounded like something hurt and then he went and did this big stretch and his knot went down. I thought they come out of their sheath when they get hard?
I need like...a tutorial. Lol
Do I need lube to jack him off once he is out of his sheath? How do I know when he cums if there is no fluid?

First off, how old is he? The little bit of info you've given sounds something a bit like the reaction of a "too young to 'get it'" pooch, even if he did still have his 'nads.

First off, how old is he? The little bit of info you've given sounds something a bit like the reaction of a "too young to 'get it'" pooch, even if he did still have his 'nads.
Year and a half or ao. Got him from humane society, so he was already fixed. Maybe he's just too young. Does that mean I shouldn't try it again?

Neutered dogs are often very dry in the sheath so the penis stick to the inner side of the sheath. Trying to get the penis out may then hurt. Try to get some lube into his sheath, with a pipettte or something, and be sure that the penis can move freely in the sheath before trying to play with him.
You can know if he "cums" by touching the muscle group between the anus and where his balls would have been. That muscle group will pulse one he "cums".

Neutered dogs are often very dry in the sheath so the penis stick to the inner side of the sheath. Trying to get the penis out may then hurt.
I did not know about the dryness problem. You should use water based lube or ideally something that is approved for veterinary use.
I thought they come out of their sheath when they get hard?
No, in fact if the knot swells up fully in the sheath, do not try to get it out, it will hurt, the sheath opening is not large enough. The dog is fine with having the full knot in the sheath, it even happens naturally when a dog is excited, just do not force it out at this point. The knot has to come out in the beginning or while it is still inflating.

Back