Geldings intercoursing with Mares, good or bad?

I have read and reread the comments on this subject, now I know my question is going to be way off the subject discussed, but I need to ask anyway, Can a gelding actually be encouraged to get an erection, and would his temperament be more gentler than a intact stallion .asking for a friend lol.
I have a couple geldings that drop when you pat the inside of their rear thighs and or the bottom of the sheath. They don't get as hard as a proper stallion, most of times. Having a mare in heat nearby helps. But both of them have been gelded early and have no interest in mounting. The best I've got out of them was a bit of pre cum and a flare.

I agree with all that, but surely even a gelding would have to be playing with at least a strasbourg not a mere salarmi. :gsd_wink:
Actually geldings cocks don't grow as large as full stations do, usually they are a bit smaller. And rarely do they have much interest in it anyway. Out of the geldings I've met, only 2 seemed interested

I have a couple geldings that drop when you pat the inside of their rear thighs and or the bottom of the sheath. They don't get as hard as a proper stallion, most of times. Having a mare in heat nearby helps. But both of them have been gelded early and have no interest in mounting. The best I've got out of them was a bit of pre cum and a flare.
Are they a little more calm while they are being stimulated? ( for want of a better word) and do they get at least a little erect.

• Love
Reactions: O Q
Actually geldings cocks don't grow as large as full stations do, usually they are a bit smaller. And rarely do they have much interest in it anyway. Out of the geldings I've met, only 2 seemed interested
Um... Ok you seem to have missed my little joke there humans play hide the salarmi. Male horse with or with out balls definitely need a bigger sausage as a euphemism for their penis. Reading your reply though raised one question in my mind were you talking about geldings having smaller penises than train stations, petrol stations or cattle stations, either way I think I stilll take the horses penis any day. :gsd_grin:

Now that depends. A stallion gelded late in life will have a full sized cock because gelding doesn't include the cock and it's already had plenty of time to grow. And a stallion with breeding experience will remember how much fun it is and keep trying. That's where a lot of "proud cut" comes from. By waiting longer to geld you get a stronger more muscular horse.

Are they a little more calm while they are being stimulated? ( for want of a better word) and do they get at least a little erect.
Yeah they are pretty quiet, generally they don't seem to mind, one seems to like it. They do get fully erect, but depends on the time of day, too, they seen too be more into it on warm days, especially mornings, or when mares in heat are around.

On the other hand, I got a mini stallion that drops it just from looking at it and doesn't mind at all handling down there :)

Last edited:
Um... Ok you seem to have missed my little joke there humans play hide the salarmi. Male horse with or with out balls definitely need a bigger sausage as a euphemism for their penis. Reading your reply though raised one question in my mind were you talking about geldings having smaller penises than train stations, petrol stations or cattle stations, either way I think I stilll take the horses penis any day. :gsd_grin:
Yeah sorry full stallions was the intended wording.
I am aware of hide the salami game :)

Now that depends. A stallion gelded late in life will have a full sized cock because gelding doesn't include the cock and it's already had plenty of time to grow. And a stallion with breeding experience will remember how much fun it is and keep trying. That's where a lot of "proud cut" comes from. By waiting longer to geld you get a stronger more muscular horse.
Yes I agree, just most geldings are cut early and have no idea how to breed, or what to do with their dongs.

Stallions gelded later on are a different story.

This is an interesting discussion! Seems like we have about three different topics here:

Is it safe for geldings to breed mares? Behavior wise as long as the mare is receptive and the gelding is not violent then why not? On the other hand not all mares will want a gelding and they should not be forced to put up with that. Also in a mixed herd you may run into fighting issues if not everybody in the herd is ok with that gelding breeding that mare. Some mares wont let other mares breed even when they don't want bred themselves. Also the gelding might fight over the mares. Some might say this is just nature but that is not acceptable to me. In nature herds can splinter and exist apart from one another. In captivity they are forced to coexist. Let me tell you it is a sad sad thing to have to euthanize a horse because he/she got his leg broken in a fight while you were just letting nature run it course. In short, as long as everyone involved is happy with the situation (including other herd mates) then let them be happy.

Should stallions or gelding be washed prior to breeding? Probably a good idea at least for the initial get together. Sure everyone has seen a dirty stallion penetrate a dirty mare and nothing bad happened. But bad things do and can happen. It is in our horses best interests to have good hygiene. STDs do exists in horses as do urinary tract infections and other various infections. Mares do have a built in rinsing mechanism but that is not always enough to keep them safe. I knew a lovely old stud horse who died last year because his owners wanted stallions but didn't want to have to ever touch his penis. And I have seen more than one broodmare with an infection cause by breeding with a dirty boy. It can be a life threatening situation. Nature does a lot of thing but nature is also a harsh bitch, especially with all the variables introduces in domestication. As for wild horses... They die all the time because of "nature". I don't know about you but I want my horses to live long happy healthy lives. I should add that I reckon mares should get an external wash too from time to time. If my stallion has clean shiny dong and he rubs it up against her dirty rear end then he has just introduced badness inside her and potentially inside himself. They probably don't need to be clean before every time they breed but I believe you should monitor their hygiene and keep them safe. One last thing in breeding hygiene. I was a groom for this old pasture bred stud. I kept him clean for breeding but one day he chased a mare through a briar thicket with an erection. Fortunately I witnessed this and acted fast. I caught him before he was able to breed the mare. Sure enough he had thorns all in his penis. He was in pain but his sex drive still had him trying to breed this mare. What do you imagine would have happened if he had penetrated her with those thorns stuck in him? Let me tell you he sure appreciated me being his groom that day.

Horses kept in small spaces. In a perfect world, the more room the better. That being said I have seen plenty of happy healthy horses living in small spaces. I have seen plenty of horses that were driven crazy by it too but there are other factors that were involved. People talk about their horses standing out in all weather. Well my own horses and many others hate being out in the weather most of the time. I know this because of their attitudes and given the choice they retreat to their barn. I know horses that love their turnout time but after a couple hours insist on going back inside. Horses are probably the most lazy athletes on the planet. Even with hudreds of acres to run on they spent most of their day at a stand still or a very slow walk. Freedom and exercise is very important but that does not mean a horse can not be happy living in a barn as long as you provide them with quality care. Turnout with enough room to run and play a little, exercise through riding or playing on the ground, clean living conditions and all the other things involved in good horse care make for sane happy horses. Probably one of the most important things is a social life. They should have other horses to interact with and be friends with. Even if it is just over a stall wall, they still need other horses. My stallion, gelding and mare all have to share the same paddock and the stallion can not be out with the mare because she is too old to be getting pregnant and I don't want/can't afford a baby right now. Plus she is blind these days but that is another story. So gelding and mare go out together and then stallion and gelding go out together. Not all stallions can be out with all gelding but mine can at least under supervision. If I cant supervise their together time then they go out separate. However the stallion and gelding live next to each other in the barn. They are separated by a half wall and they can see and interact with each other. As for the stallion and the mare, I do things with them so they can be together without her getting pregnant. When she is not in heat I take the stallion out with her and let them eat hay together and just generally be near each other while I am there. When she is in heat I masturbate him while he teases with her over the wall. It keeps him pretty content. Also I am buying him an AV this year so he can have even more fun. I had been letting him breed her with a horse condom designed for collecting sperm but it broke one time and she did not take but she could have so I can not risk that happening anymore. Anyway, point is happy horses can and do exist in smaller spaces, it is just more work to keep them happy than if you had a huge pasture for them to roam in.

Also horses obviously enjoy sex.
Fml there never were wiser words than this. I completely agree with you to 100%

I have read and reread the comments on this subject, now I know my question is going to be way off the subject discussed, but I need to ask anyway, Can a gelding actually be encouraged to get an erection, and would his temperament be more gentler than a intact stallion .asking for a friend lol.
My gelding likes to be fondled. I have met many other gelding who enjoy it too. They will often get erect and some like to be sucked on. They dont usually think of it is a sex thing. More like just because it feels good. I know one gelding who likes a good blowjob. He can't cum but he gets hard and humps my face.

Stallions CAN be worked with - no question. Over the years, I've known and worked with several that were VERY polite and well behaved. However, my years spent working in barns have convinced me that the majority of stallions would be better off as geldings. Without a solid working partnership, a stallion is just plain too much horse for most folks to cope with. That includes working with 'em on the ground. Most folk here in the USA do a real good job of looking like they're TRYING to get the stallion to go psycho - Always segregated, unless it's breeding time, often cooped up for extended periods because of that, all too often fed so high they can't help but be wired - Izzit any wonder many of them I've had to deal with have had issues? Any of umpteen stall vices, snappy or kicky, cribbers, stall weavers, downright hostile - the list goes on?

Based on extensive hands-on experience, I have to say that gelding a horse would be more of a kindness in most cases. Geldings can at least go out and be horses with other horses. Stallions too often never have any contact with another horse except for quickies in the breeding shed, and with some outfits, not even then. Can you say "A.V." and "A.I.", boys and girls? Sure. I knew ya could.

And people wonder why their stallions are half-or-more crazy so often...

Having the hormones "in play", so to speak, defeats the main reason for gelding in horses. A gelding is MUCH easier to deal with in almost every way, and can actually live as a horse, rather than some sort of stuck-in-a-box sperm dispenser driven insane by the isolation and raging hormones. No... If you want a horse sterilized, take his balls clean. No vasectomy - at least in general. I have seen a few cases where a stud and his studly behaviors is a good thing (teasers, for instance) but something about him says he shouldn't be used as a breeder, thus a vasectomy rather than a castration was a viable option, but for the most part, if you want him sterile, go all the way and let him be the herd animal he is.
well said , let him be a horse,

Back