Favorite horse breed, in general?

Didnt know you liked Brabants
Right, wrong or otherwise, most here in the US call 'em "Belgians".

Mackinac Island MI is a prime place to spot 'em - I'd have to say that *AT LEAST* 3/4 of the horses under harness there are Belgians or Belgian crosses.

Don't much care for the "ultra-bobbed" tail - No flyswatter = no bueno. That looks like a youngster - just based on appearance, I'd guess not much more than 8 months?
Yeah just the first image of a black brabant i seen i dont like a docked tail either. docking has been a illegal in the UK for years and also importing of horses with docked tails but no one seems to check when they get imported.

I'm kinna shocked I haven't seen my favorite breed mentioned yet. By temperament and size, the Percheron squeaks ahead of Friesians for me.
Facts-about-the-Percheron-horse-breed-1024x522.jpg.jpg

I'm kinna shocked I haven't seen my favorite breed mentioned yet. By temperament and size, the Percheron squeaks ahead of Friesians for me.
View attachment 276188
While I like 'em well enough, Perchies just ain't got quite the "pizazz" that Fresians do, at least by my tastes.

Interesting use of forced perspective photography in both of those shots. Quite well done to a quick glance, but no way in hell it isn't trick photography. Unless those are midgets in the shots, those horses are nowhere NEAR as big as they look. Using clues from the rest of the image, the grey would have to be close to 30 hands, which I damn-well know he isn't - 19 hands, absolute max - and the gal holding him can't be much more than 4 feet high. The black is harder to judge, but I'd bet the farm on no more than 17-18 hands. You want *B-B-B-BIG!*? Go talk to a belgian... They'll tell you all about big! :)

While I like 'em well enough, Perchies just ain't got quite the "pizazz" that Fresians do, at least by my tastes.

Interesting use of forced perspective photography in both of those shots. Quite well done to a quick glance, but no way in hell it isn't trick photography. Unless those are midgets in the shots, those horses are nowhere NEAR as big as they look. Using clues from the rest of the image, the grey would have to be close to 30 hands, which I damn-well know he isn't - 19 hands, absolute max - and the gal holding him can't be much more than 4 feet high. The black is harder to judge, but I'd bet the farm on no more than 17-18 hands. You want *B-B-B-BIG!*? Go talk to a belgian... They'll tell you all about big! :)
While the pic with the black Perchie does look like the family is trying to force the perspective a bit. The Grey is all natural. The girl looks like a jockie.... which are fuggin tiny. And percherons, while not as heavy as a Belgian, are every bit as tall. In fact for a time they were generally known as the tallest. 19 hands wasn't even out of the ordinary until bad breeding became a fad.

While the pic with the black Perchie does look like the family is trying to force the perspective a bit. The Grey is all natural. The girl looks like a jockie.... which are fuggin tiny. And percherons, while not as heavy as a Belgian, are every bit as tall. In fact for a time they were generally known as the tallest. 19 hands wasn't even out of the ordinary until bad breeding became a fad.
Nah, look at how the grey is positioned. You're SUPPOSED TO think he's at 90 degrees to the wall behind him, but the reality is he's probably at about a 45-60 degree angle to the camera, with his head close, and his ass further away. Look at his near-side hind foot, then look at his front, and how they're placed in relation to the parking-space line - his head is a good bit closer than his ass. Look at the distortion of his neck compared to his body - he's HIDEOUSLY out of proportion with himself if that's a true photo, rather than staged to make him look bigger than he is. He looks like a cross between a horse and a giraffe. Look at the "wall" behind him - looks like some sort of tent/temporary canvas structure. Look at the seam in it just above the height of his rump - That's going to be either 8 (most likely) or 6 (possible, but much less likely) feet off the ground. The horse is standing AT LEAST 4 inches lower than where grade would be at the edge of the tent wall. There's no way in hell that horse's butt is 8+ feet high. That's 24 hands and then some - probably closer to, if not more than, 25 hands above the pavement he's standing on. By comparison, the current holder of the title "biggest horse in the world" is Big Jake, a 22-and-change hand belgian. This boy would have to be a foot taller than that. Look at the chain-link fence behind the girl - That's probably your standard 5 foot high, "please don't cut through here" gate (as opposed to higher security 6-10 foot high "We're serious, keep the hell out!" fencing) and based on the parking space stripes, and what looks like two lanes worth of driveway behind her, the distance to it is probably about 18-25 feet behind her. She's "too big" in comparison. Jockey or not, she's not in proportion to everything else we're seeing. Look at the curb behind the horse - if it's the typical 5 inches high, which it APPEARS to be, based on comparing it to the width of the parking space stripes, use it to measure him - I come up with just a hair over 18 hands using that as a "scale". No question he's a good big boy, but also no question the shot is set up to make you THINK he's a lot bigger than he actually is if you only take a quick look at it.

I like mustangs and quarter horses that where born in captivity. They're the only breed I'm familiar with.

Nah, look at how the grey is positioned. You're SUPPOSED TO think he's at 90 degrees to the wall behind him, but the reality is he's probably at about a 45-60 degree angle to the camera, with his head close, and his ass further away. Look at his near-side hind foot, then look at his front, and how they're placed in relation to the parking-space line - his head is a good bit closer than his ass. Look at the distortion of his neck compared to his body - he's HIDEOUSLY out of proportion with himself if that's a true photo, rather than staged to make him look bigger than he is. He looks like a cross between a horse and a giraffe. Look at the "wall" behind him - looks like some sort of tent/temporary canvas structure. Look at the seam in it just above the height of his rump - That's going to be either 8 (most likely) or 6 (possible, but much less likely) feet off the ground. The horse is standing AT LEAST 4 inches lower than where grade would be at the edge of the tent wall. There's no way in hell that horse's butt is 8+ feet high. That's 24 hands and then some - probably closer to, if not more than, 25 hands above the pavement he's standing on. By comparison, the current holder of the title "biggest horse in the world" is Big Jake, a 22-and-change hand belgian. This boy would have to be a foot taller than that. Look at the chain-link fence behind the girl - That's probably your standard 5 foot high, "please don't cut through here" gate (as opposed to higher security 6-10 foot high "We're serious, keep the hell out!" fencing) and based on the parking space stripes, and what looks like two lanes worth of driveway behind her, the distance to it is probably about 18-25 feet behind her. She's "too big" in comparison. Jockey or not, she's not in proportion to everything else we're seeing. Look at the curb behind the horse - if it's the typical 5 inches high, which it APPEARS to be, based on comparing it to the width of the parking space stripes, use it to measure him - I come up with just a hair over 18 hands using that as a "scale". No question he's a good big boy, but also no question the shot is set up to make you THINK he's a lot bigger than he actually is if you only take a quick look at it.
You just tried going entirely too Sherlock Holmes into this without a shred of knowledge of the actual surroundings. Speculating the size of the tent, the parking lines, the fence and how far behind them it is... and apparently you don't know the proportions of a Percheron, either. They are a sporty draft breed. Not a tank, like a Belgian or Sire. They have long legs, lean muscular body and a long thick neck. I could show you dozens of pics of them standing alone in a field looking exactly like that. The only difference is this probably very petite chick standing next to him. I don't get your hard-on trying to prove that one of the tallest breed of horses isn't as tall as you think a picture makes them look with absolutely no context.

View attachment 276188
Percherons are great. But when it comes to french draught horses, thes are second behind Boulonnaise.
By the way, the horses you posted are very arabinized. Not really typical Percherons, which look more like that:
1920px-Percheron_3_stehend_rechts.jpg

Boulonnaise:
Boulonnais-Horse.jpg

Arabs get really bonded to the humans they choose, so gotta go with Arabs. Draft horses are softer and an absolute train wreck to watch fuck, so there’s that. Yum.

Percherons are great. But when it comes to french draught horses, thes are second behind Boulonnaise.
By the way, the horses you posted are very arabinized. Not really typical Percherons, which look more like that:
1920px-Percheron_3_stehend_rechts.jpg

Boulonnaise:
Boulonnais-Horse.jpg

I've had no personal experience with Boulonnaise. They are indeed stunning horses, but I actually prefer percheron because I have dealt with many of them.

Hello everyone! This is my first actual post. So, just out of curiousity, what is your favorite horse? I love horses so much but I never got to have one as a companion, but I plan to in the future. Personally, looks-wise, I adore akhal-tekes, love leopard appaloosas, and honestly black forest horses are so majestic and gorgeous. What are your favorites?
View attachment 160419
View attachment 160420View attachment 160421
Definitely Friesians and Thoroughbreds....also any heavy horse turns me on!!

Back