Deep quotes you heard or made up?

If any advice I give makes you feel foolish, do not be concerned, for it all came from learning from my own great failures

There are two types of people in the world - educated and uneducated. One is stupid, the other does not know they are stupid.

This is my favorite: the majority of university professors are people who failed in the real world, yet pass on their knowledge as an example of how YOU can succeed.

similar to that one:
Professors of science, biology and chemistry are both teacher and student as they are learning and exploring alongside their students. All other professors are parrots, reciting opinions that have been repeated so many times they are believed to be facts. Shakespeare so elegantly proves “a rose by any other name smells just as sweet”. Yet for all our we know, a rose may have been an onion all along. ~Einstein

You can give a man a fish he will eat for a day
You can teach a man to fish, but if he does not pay attention, he will starve and you have wasted your time.

If you tell a story by the time it reaches the other side of the room, the story has changed significantly
Stupidity is believing the education system is any different

"...the only way to gain approval, is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me..."

- from the 'Manic Street Preachers', "This Is Yesterday"

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are. -Kurt Cobain

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people's thinking. -Steve Jobs

"Beliefs are dangerous things. Once we invest in them, it can be hard to challenge them without invoking cognitive dissonance."

i was just listening to a podcast this morning where the speaker said the greatest fear should be what we are capable of not what we are weakest at.
Why would you be afraid of what you can do? concern yourself more with what you can't do.

"Bad things is not the worst thing that can happen to us. Nothing is the worst thing that can happen to us."

Why would you be afraid of what you can do? concern yourself more with what you can't do.
It is a reference to “what people are capable of” ie Hitler, Stalin… people are capable of great evils. The quote very correctly states your greatest fear is what you are capable of.

you should never fear what you cannot do. You can over your short comings a lot easier than you can control your own power.
"Bad things is not the worst thing that can happen to us. Nothing is the worst thing that can happen to us."
i am quite content with “nothing.” I have learned happiness is a rarity, sadness is too. Most of our lives is filled with the void between the to. When you learn to be content in the void of nothing, you can focus on becoming something great and not worrying about “what makes you happy.”

I once found myself having a brief quality conversation with an elderly woman who was a published author of six books. We started talking books and authors because I love to read so of course I started to name dropping some of my favorites. When I started rattling off titles and names she had this bewildered look on her face and said, "I never would have known you read books. You just look like a simple man". Keep in mind this lady was very sweet and kind, she didn't know she was indirectly insulting me which in real time I found to be funny and cute so it didn't upset me at all. In her defense, I do look like a former linebacker because I'm a big muscular fella. Because of my physical appearance I guess she thought I was some blockhead who had never opened a book. My immediate chill witty response to what she said to me was, "Well Pamela, simplicity of character is that natural result of profound thought". Then her eyes lit up and her facial expression transformed into shock and delight. Her response to what I said was, "Spoken like a true H. David Theroux". Cool, brief, witty conversation that began with an indirect insult and ending with a direct compliment. Funniest part about this story was I read and remembered "Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought" from the paper inside of a fortune cookie. I didn't even know I memorized that quote verbatim because I probably ate that cookie like 10 years ago. Fortunately, I guess that is sometimes how the cookie crumbles.

You cant change people, they have to do that themselves. You can only accept them for who they are and move on when it’s time. Such is life.

i am quite content with “nothing.” I have learned happiness is a rarity, sadness is too. Most of our lives is filled with the void between the to. When you learn to be content in the void of nothing, you can focus on becoming something great and not worrying about “what makes you happy.”
There's "being nothing" (part of the learning process), then there's treating people like it's "Wrong to be flawed". Different meaning.

"If you change the way you look at things, the way you look at things change."

Back