Deep quotes you heard or made up?

"The shit you never see is the shit you're standing in."
Lawrence Block
The Triumph of Evil

Some of us may be in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars=oscar wilde

Some of us may be in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars=oscar wilde
Or Rush/Neil Peart's variation, from "The Pass", off their 1989 album "Presto":

All of us get lost in the darkness
dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
All of us do time in the gutter
dreamers turn to look at the cars.

For a rock-n-roll demigod, Neil was quite the erudite fellow. Hard to ask him now, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me even a tiny bit to find out he picked up the idea reading Oscar's works and turned it into (part of) a song. Oscar would have been right up his alley.

It is one of my favourite films.
The film actually sparked the president to ask if it could really happen, after the appropriate people looked into it the president was told yes it is possible. The president was reported to say "Well don't you think we should (several expletives) fix that!" That was the start of the US government taking cyber security much more seriously. So it was a very influential movie both for it's message and for several other reasons.

The film actually sparked the president to ask if it could really happen, after the appropriate people looked into it the president was told yes it is possible. The president was reported to say "Well don't you think we should (several expletives) fix that!" That was the start of the US government taking cyber security much more seriously. So it was a very influential movie both for it's message and for several other reasons.
There was a novel in the 90s that scared Clinton so much he established a taskforce to address the possibility of a genetically engineered virus terrorist attack.

The Cobra Event by Richard Preston

"And they have much to be concerned about. [realizes he's not being paid attention to] There's always the threat of an attack by, say, a giant space dragon, the kind that eats the sun once a month. It's a nuisance, but what can you expect from reptiles? Did I mention my nose is on fire, and that I have 15 wild badgers living in my trousers? [receives death glare] I'm sorry, would you prefer ferrets?"

"A Moon can not make light, right. And yet there is such a thing as moonlight"
"It's light reflected from a Moon to a Sun"
"Yeah but the Sun can't make moonlight without a moon, and the moon can't make moonlight without the Sun, so who's making the moonlight"
"They both are"
"Which means even though a moon can't make moonlight, moonlight exists."

There was a novel in the 90s that scared Clinton so much he established a taskforce to address the possibility of a genetically engineered virus terrorist attack.

The Cobra Event by Richard Preston
So maybe the prez doesn't need all those advisers he or she just needs to watch movies and read books. :gsd_laughing:

So maybe the prez doesn't need all those advisers he or she just needs to watch movies and read books. :gsd_laughing:
Throughout baby bush's reign and his war I maintained that he should be forced to watch DS9 to learn the difference between a terrorist and a suppressed freedom fighter.

Someone who says that science takes the wonder out of the world, I guarantee, has never taken a single moment to look into and ponder the vast cosmos and expanses of time, and intricacy of every little working thing, that science has allowed us to be aware of.

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope."
-Irwing Layton

Someone who says that science takes the wonder out of the world, I guarantee, has never taken a single moment to look into and ponder the vast cosmos and expanses of time, and intricacy of every little working thing, that science has allowed us to be aware of.

I ask you to contemplate the universe that you now know exists. Is it not, by itself, more awe-inspiring than any God concept offered by the historical religions? A hundred billion galaxies, lonely islands of fire flung like bright coins in a vastness of space so immense that it is beyond the biological comprehension of the human mind. And I say to you, that the universe you have discovered is only a tiny fraction of the extent and magnificence of the creation. You inhabit but the tiniest blue speck in the infinite vaults of heaven, and yet this speck is precious to me, being an essential part of the whole. That is why I have come to you. Worship me and my great works, not some tribal god imagined by warring pastoralists thousands of years ago.

Trace the lineaments of my face with your scientific instruments. Search for me in the cosmos and in the electron. For I am the God of deep time and space, the God of superclusters and voids, the God of the Big Bang and the inflation, the God of dark matter and dark energy. Science and faith cannot coexist. One will destroy the other. You must make sure science is the surviving party, or your little blue speck will be lost. . . .

Last edited:
I ask you to contemplate the universe that you now know exists. Is it not, by itself, more awe-inspiring than any God concept offered by the historical religions? A hundred billion galaxies, lonely islands of fire flung like bright coins in a vastness of space so immense that it is beyond the biological comprehension of the human mind. And I say to you, that the universe you have discovered is only a tiny fraction of the extent and magnificence of the creation. You inhabit but the tiniest blue speck in the infinite vaults of heaven, and yet this speck is precious to me, being an essential part of the whole. That is why I have come to you. Worship me and my great works, not some tribal god imagined by warring pastoralists thousands of years ago.

Trace the lineaments of my face with your scientific instruments. Search for me in the cosmos and in the electron. For I am the God of deep time and space, the God of superclusters and voids, the God of the Big Bang and the inflation, the God of dark matter and dark energy. Science and faith cannot coexist. One will destroy the other. You must make sure science is the surviving party, or your little blue speck will be lost. . . .
Couldn't read it - Dark mode turns it into an instant eyestrain headache.

Couldn't read it - Dark mode turns it into an instant eyestrain headache.
That's because dark mode is in itself an eyestrain. This is an empirical fact, it's harder for the eyes to read light text on a dark background.

Back