Cut or uncut.

Definitely uncut. I don’t like cropping dogs ears or docking their tails. That’s why my Dane girl still has her big floppy beautiful ears ❤️

Last edited:
I think it’s a personal choice. If you wish it to be a deterrent and intimidating if crop ears and tail. Having said that if I was to have a dobbie he’d have natural ears and tail.

Uncut :) I'm not a fan of the practice of cutting off their tails. I think it's a weird trend; their tails make them so much more loveable too!

I don't like the dobermann breed, so I can't tell which one I like better. Undoubtedly, the iconic look that a non-canine people immediately recognizes as breed is the cut ear and tail.

In bear-like LGD/shepherd breeds, the cut ear is much nicer, my dogs also have ears cut, one completely, the other two bear-shaped. A caucasian shepherd, central asian/alabai, kangal etc. is especially ugly if their ears are natural and anyway have been cutting their ears for centuries.
I don’t agree with cutting the tail, because every dog is ugly with cut tail.

Docking and cropping are mostly cosmetic mutilations.
There are a small handful of legit reasons.

Draft dogs - Tail/spine can be injured do to equipment.
Hunting dogs - Dogs that frequent thick brush with various stickers
Cancer/tumor - should be rather obvious....

I like that Europe has banned the practice. Sadly the US is behind the times...

Anything else has been disproved by several if not all Veterinary associations.

Removing ears/tail is basically crippling a dog from communicating properly.
Guard dogs: Go ahead try grabbing its tail, see what happens. No really do it!

Anyone that claims cropping or docking is necessary by a breeding standard... are full of it.

I like that Europe has banned the practice. Sadly the US is behind the times...
Wrong, real some countries in Europe banned it, but it is allowed in several countries, but it is subject to a veterinary qualification.
In my country origin two breeds of dogs have been cut for a thousand years, so the cut has been protected due to the preservation of the dog's original appearance.

By the way, anyone can cut off the dog's ears at home, and no one can prove it afterwards. Many people choose this method where it has been banned. That's why I think banning it is stupid, because it only achieves that people cut at home, instead of taking them to the vet.

It's funny, by the way, but European people are always convinced that life is better and more developed in the USA and that they are 50 years ahead of us. They think the same about us Europeans.

A neighbor had a Doberman who had parvovirus as a pup and was the only survivor from his litter. By the time he recovered and was expected to live, it was too late to cut his ears and tail. Most people who met him did not realize he was a Doberman and he was a silly, friendly boy, so they just thought he was some sort of a black and tan hound or a mutt.

I had my dogs at a vet once and a young pit bull came in. He was the poster child for the dreaded "happy tail." He wagged so hard that he split his tail against the corners of furniture and flung blood all over. "Pibbles" rarely have their tails docked here, though some have cropped ears.

Unless you're fighting them (evil in and of itself!) or using them for hunting dangerous game or as livestock guards, there is rarely a valid reason to crop ears, IMO.

Everything is way more appealing when it is intact :D Although I like pointy eared dogs, cropped ears are just pretending, and a constant reminder of the forced pain they went through.

Mixed feelings on this matter.
Floppy ears are unnatural themselves, non-domesticated animals do not develop floppy ears. It impacts hearing and they often need to be cleaned to prevent infections. I do think it's a little odd though that when standing ears exist, we've bred dogs to have floppy ears just to cut them. I don't think dobermans looks as nice with their floppy ears and thin tails but, the process seems like a pain in the but for them and the ears are more likely to develop infection during the healing process than they would if they were just floppy.

I’ve never been a fan of cropping dogs ears or docking their tails. My Doberman has the iconic pointy ears. I purchased him from a very good breeder who had me sign a contract. He looks like all his brothers and sisters and she can use him as a stud if she wishes. She has seen him a few times, but has never used him for breeding.

Back