Curious about what yall feed your dogs

1/2 of his intake is raw beef or elk, eggs, and fish oil. The other 1/2 is a good quality kibble.

do put the shell too? i saw some do it but i dont know if that safe since there a risk of choke hazard
The dog will chew the egg shell before swallowing it. There is no choke hazard unless you have a very stupid dog that just swallows it whole. I’m sorry if that sounds flippant but…some dog breeds are pretty dumb and will actually do that haha! But most won’t.

Shells are good for calcium. I have a medium-sized dog and quarter the eggs in their shells so I don't think he could really choke on that. It might be more of a risk with whole eggs or small dogs, I don't know.
I throw an eggshell in from time to time as well but I’m not really sure why I do it. I have some unsubstantiated thought that it’s good for his digestive tract.

The shells have a lot of calcium in them but I doubt it’s a bioavailable form of calcium. I don’t know that the dog’s digestive system can break the shells down enough to actually capture that calcium. And, even if they could, I don’t think there’s a particular need to supplement that calcium since there is bioavailable calcium in everything.

What I do know is that it’s very cute to give a dog a whole raw egg. Be careful doing it in the house but my dog will be very gentle with it and carry it around and lick it. Eventually he will drop it and it’ll break and then he’ll smell the deliciousness inside and eat the whole thing. But it’s so fun to watch his curious little mind figure out what this thing is. Is it a toy? Is it food? I don’t know, I must carefully investigate… matter of fact, I haven’t given him a whole egg in a while. I’m gonna go do that now.

Back