Can animals be romantic?

PalmWolf

Tourist
Thank you for entering this thread!:husky_grin:

I’ve been zoo exclusive for a few years, but a lot of the time I find myself very insecure and unsure about whether or not being with an animal could be… romantic, I guess. I’ve never been with a human before and I don’t intend to, but I always convince myself that it just wouldn’t work because they can’t speak, can’t perform human tasks, etc etc - and that it wouldn’t be anything more than just interspecies mating.

My question is, can animals (specifically dogs, but open to others) be romantic?

At least, is there anything more than just a mild social connection or just unromantic sex?
I have no experience being with an animal so hopefully someone can enlighten me on how it works and if the animal can show deeper affection. Please let me know! :gsd_nervous:

(I’m M/M btw if that changes anything)

I don’t know your definition of romantic but animals really build strong emotional bonds with their partners. They cuddle you, sleep with you, are protective of you, know when you are sad and tries to make you feel better. So in my opinion I think they are pretty romantic.

I don’t know your definition of romantic but animals really build strong emotional bonds with their partners. They cuddle you, sleep with you, are protective of you, know when you are sad and tries to make you feel better. So in my opinion I think they are pretty romantic.
Thank you!! These are the sorts of things I was looking for. Emotional bonds and such… I’m just not sure whether to be single forever or actually have and care for an animal of my own. That’s why I’m so cautious about it lol

Depends on what you mean by 'romance'. But my girl rubs on me, shoves her snout in places all over me, licks my face, (and everywhere else) cuddles with me, leans on me, and much more. It may not be romantic to all, but to me it is.
Thank you!! So yeah, mostly physical stuff (obviously cause they can’t do much else lol). Thank you for sharing though, makes me feel better :gsd_love:

How do you imagine the romance would look like?
Yeah I’m not sure… I suppose what the others are saying here, like emotional bonds and physical contact that feels more like a deeper sort of love than surface shiz if you know what I mean. I don’t know, I’m a very emotional and intuitive person so I suppose I’m just hoping that there’s something more to it… I know everyone says they share a deep connection with their animal partner, so maybe I just need to experience it to believe it? Sorry for the rant my dude :husky_nervous:

I'm of the opinion that the concept of "romanticism" is pretty much a human specific concept that isn't necessarily applicable to non-human animals. But that doesn't mean that my non-human partner (a dog) and I don't love each other. In fact we love each other very much. Both of my girls are my whole world, and to them I'm their whole world as well. We understand each other pretty well.

But, if you go by the base definition "conductive to and/or characterized by the expression of love" then yes, we are a romantic couple. But if you're to go by the observed expression of what is "romantic" which generally falls under; "a feeling of implied mutual experiences as well as implied actions/gestures fully comprehended and reciprocated by both parties." Then "romantic" would likely not be an appropriate term to use. Because if I am to take my dog, or both my dogs, to a beautiful sunset underneath a cobblestone bridge, while we'd all enjoy the experience, the implications of such wouldn't be comprehended by both parties.

That being said, for general purposes I typically do say that I'm in a "romantic" relationship with my doggy girls, and what I generally mean by that is that our love is more than sex, it's mutual love. Sex really has very little to do the whole relationship. It is more focused on just that, the relationship we have.

That doesn't make sense... cause a few lines down you say...

So I'm not sure what you're trying to say... maybe there's a typo in there?

Floofy basically stole the words out of my mouth already, but I'll throw in my take on it anyway...
Dogs can be very loyal, friendly, cuddly, understanding, affectionate... but they have their own doggy reasons for doing things that have a lot more to do with their wolf ancestors and pack animal instincts than it does with being romantic. The truth is I wouldn't want them to be like a human, I love them the way they are, and I wouldn't want them to be romantic the way a guy could be. My boy is plenty romantic enough for me even if he doesn't know what that is. There's other stuff too... like they do play favourites; they like being with some people more than others, and they do miss you when you're gone.

I feel the exact same way... it's "romantic" cause there's no other way to describe the nature of the relationship, it's literally that. We spend aaaalot of time together. We do a lot of outdoor activities we both enjoy, we live together, we sleep together, and even if he understands it differently than humans do, he loves sex with me just as much as I love doing it with him. The coolest thing about my relationship with him is that even if "romance" gets lost in translation between the two of us, love still happens. 💕
Thank you for your reply!! That helps out a lot. Sorry for the confusion!! Basically I meant I’m only attracted to animals and would only consider an animal partner - though I do not currently have one. I’ve been like this for a while and I suppose you could just call me a zoo, but I don’t like the idea of being with people, so I suppose I’m exclusive? I hope that makes sense lol. Thank you again!! :gsd_love:

This is really funny because I have some people saying definitely and others saying definitely not. Does it come down to each individual and how they see/experience zoosexuality, or is there absolutely no deeper love involved and it’s just plain instinct?

I see a lot of examples of our animals showing affection outside of simple licks and little cuddles, even going as far as forming habits or special behaviours to show love… and what truly is the difference between two humans showing love and two animals? Or in this case, an animal and a human? Is love not instinctive at its core?

As a zoo, I personally don’t see any reason to engage in a sexual act with an animal if there’s no love involved. Each to their own, but that’s me. Maybe I should have asked a simpler question like “Can animals feel love?” or something that isn’t so vague like being “romantic”. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this discussion, though! It is quite interesting to see the scales dip both ways, and I appreciate everyone’s input thus far! :husky_love:

I have had a huge amount of romance shown to me by mares in particular they have this amazing matriarchal way of showing love and romance. When they start to love and realise your attention is all theirs , that every time you walk in the stable the pure site of them elevates your heart rate. Then they start to show romance , I have had mare nicker when I walk in and mare pull me around with there head and hold me against their shoulder nickering...I have had mare lift their tales and sway left and right while looking back at me wanting attention 😍 they also can be playful romantics where they want it but they make you work for it but as you act like you uninterested after licking them out while they trying to move around the next thing you know you got a mare pinning you against the wall with her bum tail lifted wet pussy pushing on you 😍🤠

So yes certain animals and I think horses most notably can be romantic as they are free spirits where dogs for example I think show more loyalty or just want to mate as in nature.

No, you can be romantic to an animal and a animal be affectionate towards you which could be see as love.
The definition of romance is "a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love." I dont think animals are that advance to question they are affectionate to you. So they can be excited to see you but do not get excited about being affectionate to you.

Thats my thoughts.

It's sad how many people have never experienced a canine's version of romantic. That moment when my licking them back in rythm with their licking out of affection/submissiveness makes it all click in their mind and they slow down the pace of their licking, become more deliberate with it, push deeper into my mouth, they close their eyes. How the females especially can get when you lick softly and slowly along the bridge of upper part of the muzzle, between the eyes, brows, and forehead in a Y-pattern, and inside ears too, they'd just dissolve in my arms with their eyes closed, and as soon as I stop they'd PASSIONATELY and forcefully return to make out with me. Some males get hard from making out and sometimes cum just from that alone, no physical stim. Again, not sure bow many people experience this but this has happened with some of my canine partners I've had in the past. So yah I definitely believe they are capable of feeling a version of deep, devotional, romantic love more than humans typically give them credit for.

As for whether anyone wants to believe anytbing I'm saying here, this is probably gonna be one of those things where you won't believe until you experience it. Otherwise, I expect most people here (in this thread anyway) to accuse me of lying or being delusional. Which is fine, I dont need human acceptance. Just trying to spread some truth here, to the open minded.

I think they can. Do they know they are being romantic? I don't think so but sometimes when I'm sad and crying, Diesel will bring me his favorite toy and set it in my lap. I think that since it makes him happy, he wants me to have it to be happy, and to me, that is romantic.

Back