After my first horseback ride, I want more..... 🐎

L

Lunebleux

I was hesitent to ride a horse but I still did it. I went for horseback riding just to see if I would like it ot not. The horse owner understood my fears and help me overcome it. Thanks that that wonderful experience, I want to try horse riding class and do more horse back riding.

I am still nervous thought because I am stepping out of my confort zone and doing something that I would never thought of doing. All I wanted was to be in tune with nature and more with the animals.

For those who did/do or own a horse, how was your experience? What did you learn from your past mistakes??

I was hesitent to ride a horse but I still did it. I went for horseback riding just to see if I would like it ot not. The horse owner understood my fears and help me overcome it. Thanks that that wonderful experience, I want to try horse riding class and do more horse back riding.

I am still nervous thought because I am stepping out of my confort zone and doing something that I would never thought of doing. All I wanted was to be in tune with nature and more with the animals.

For those who did/do or own a horse, how was your experience? What did you learn from your past mistakes??
In a nutshell: You learn *SOMETHING* every time you interact with a horse. Whether that's an earth-shaking "something", or a simple "Oh - so THAT'S what that little dohickey on his leg is called", you learn something. And the instant you stop learning, you're setting yourself up for some potentially serious bodily injury. That said, trying to "learn horses" on an internet forum (or even from just books) is like trying to paint the Mona Lisa with both arms tied to your feet, with a welder's helmet over your face - You might accomplish SOMETHING, but you can bet it ain't gonna be a masterpiece.

Beyond that, there are literally THOUSANDS of volumes on the topic - trying to do anything beyond a "scratch the surface" level chat on a forum is hopeless. I've been dealing with horses on a near-continuous basis since I was big enough to swing a kid-size shit-fork - More than 50 years - And I know that there's about 8.7 kajillion metric tons of things I either don't know, or haven't been exposed to. Experienced? Better believe it. All-knowing? Nah, Just know when idiocy is afoot. But trying to tell someone more than the minimum to keep from getting themselves killed is beyond my abilities - the difference between knowing, and knowing how to teach. I know, and I do. On a daily basis. But I don't teach worth an upwind fart in a hurricane. ESPECIALLY on an internet forum. Get with me face-to-face at a barn, and I can show you some stuff. Ask me something on a forum, and you're likely to get the equivalent of a blank stare... It just ain't part of my skill-set.

Years ago I read a book by one of the recognized "greats" among horse trainers and learned something that has served me well ever since. He said that there is one absolute when dealing with horses, one key that must be used no matter what your goal or method is. Time. Horses do not change their mind quickly and will resist attempts to force them into anything they don't recognize or trust. Calm and patience will accomplish more than all the "aids" in the world.

There are a few hard-won lessons about horses that might help. You must be consistant-horses are pretty smart, and if you ask the same way enough times, they have a pretty good chance at figuring it out even if your training methods stink overall. Always give the horse a chance to respond to a gentile cue. Too many people start pounding and jerking on the horse right away, always give them the most subtle cue first, then a bit stronger, and stronger yet, etc, next time, use the most gentile cues again, etc. . When you don't want them to change what they are doing, don't give them a cue at all. A lot of people keep kicking and kicking, when walking, for instance.

Getting behind a horse usually isn't too bad, but getting between two of them can quickly turn into a bad place to be. Many horses are very quiet and get along with no matter who is around, which can leave your guard down. But, sometimes, horses get mad at one another and the kicking then starts....

Getting behind a horse usually isn't too bad, but getting between two of them can quickly turn into a bad place to be. Many horses are very quiet and get along with no matter who is around, which can leave your guard down. But, sometimes, horses get mad at one another and the kicking then starts....

True, that. And at the same time, they can surprise the bejeebers outta you. Working a rent-a-ride stable, years ago, and we had a photographer in getting pics for the new brochures and internet presence (Internet was JUST starting to take off - these folks would have been "middle-early" adopters, advertising themselves with a website) Well, said photog brought her (both medically diagnosed, and visibly obvious) FAS 4 year old out one day. Mom got clicking pics, kid got wandering around, somewhere along the line, I came out the door of the tack-shed where I'd been stitching the wrap back on the cantle of a saddle to find the FAS kid *LITERALLY* playing Tarzan down the line of horses tethered to the fence awaiting loading. I got out there just in time to see her take a running leap, catch onto and swing on the first horse in the line's tail, to the second, etc. I was still thinking "I don't believe I'm seeing this!" when I snatched her off the tail of the 5th horse - Musta been muscle-memory kicking in, or something - I don't even remember getting into motion. Kid came away totally unscathed. If she'd gotten to the 7th horse, she probably would have been launched - He was a "red ribbon" boy when he went out in public. Was known for getting light in the hind if he thought you weren't paying attention. The rest flinched, or spooked in place, or did a bit of dancing, but nobody actually threw a hoof. They do say "God watches out for drunks and small children"...

Then you'll get one that you go to walk by and forget she expects you to pat her rump before you cross - so she reminds you with that little "Y'know, I *COULDA* busted yer shin for you if I wanted to" tap... (Mares are evil 😈 - And I love 'em to pieces 😍 )

And then there are the ones that demonstrate themselves utterly clueless with the immortal instruction: "You want to walk about 6 feet away if you have to go behind him". ZOOOOOONK! Wrong answer! When you've got a horse that you don't now how hard his hind end is nailed down, you want to be RIGHT UP AGAINST his arse when you cross. You wanna be close enough to put your hand on the high point of his butt. That way, if he DOES "open fire", you get it as more of a "push" than a "hit" - Get out about 6 feet, and you're in his prime range! Full extension, maximum impact - you're gonna be a seriously hurtin' unit if a horse kicks at you at 6 feet and connects - Likely going to be a head or neck injury, if not brain damage, or in a handful of cases, outright decapitation. If he lets go when you're tight up against him, he's just starting the swing, and since you're practically - if not actually - pressing against his hocks as it happens, he's just gonna be shoving you away, rather than hitting you with the full swing of a sledgehammer (and then some).

A big rule of thumb around any horse is never "sneak up on it" always come from the front if at all possible and if not always let the horse know you are present by talking to it as you approach and never make any odd sounds or sudden movements. a horse by instinct is geared to strike out at any approaching threat. It means survival to kick first and check things out later. My great grandpa learned this lesson the hard way by walking behind a green broke colt with an armload of corn husks and got repeatedly kicked, he died shortly thereafter. The human always bears the burden of keeping themselves safe. I have never been kicked but my feet have been accidentally tromped on a few times. Got to watch where you place your feets in relationship to theirs. Rock hard hooves and pink fleshy things do not mix.

My approch has always been speak soft, and kind and carry treats and a soft, gentle touch will usually work as well. Never met a horse that did not warm up to me.

Years ago I read a book by one of the recognized "greats" among horse trainers and learned something that has served me well ever since. He said that there is one absolute when dealing with horses, one key that must be used no matter what your goal or method is. Time. Horses do not change their mind quickly and will resist attempts to force them into anything they don't recognize or trust. Calm and patience will accomplish more than all the "aids" in the world.
Always work with the horse and make them a friend treat them as you would any human companion and they will do anything for you and go that extra mile. Think always how would I wish to be treated? Request politely rather than demand. Also just like humans horses have off days where they would rather not do certain things. something else if you wish to gain a horses love, trust, and respect spend quality time with it by grooming it, conversing with it, cleaning it up after a long ride etc.. and give it treats. If one just simply rides it without giving it any of this it like a human most often will grow resentful of your annoying presence and will not come when you call and will seek to avoid you. My mother had a friend that ruined every horse she ever had by utilizing this horrible method. She went one step further by beating the horses and cussing them out. There is no more sure fire way to make sure an animal hates you and hurts you by disrespecting it in this fashion.

Last edited:
Always work with the horse and make them a friend treat them as you would any human companion and they will do anything for you and go that extra mile. Think always how would I wish to be treated? Request politely rather than demand. Also just like humans horses have off days where they would rather not do certain things. something else if you wish to gain a horses love, trust, and respect spend quality time with it by grooming it, conversing with it, cleaning it up after a long ride etc.. and give it treats. If one just simply rides it without giving it any of this it like a human most often will grow resentful of your annoying presence and will not come when you call and will seek to avoid you. My mother had a friend that ruined every horse she ever had by utilizing this horrible method. She went one step further by beating the horses and cussing them out. There is no more sure fire way to make sure an animal hates you and hurts you by disrespecting it in this fashion.
It takes two to ride. The horse can be a friend or a competitor. It takes both of you to be friends but either of you can veto the friendship. The good news is that horses are instinctively social and communicative. If you make sense to the horse and are pleasant to be around, nearly all of them will go out of their way to take care of you and make you happy.

Let me tell you another horse secret. If the horse really doesn't want you on their back, you will get off or die. Pro rodeo is exactly as real as pro wrestling. If a predator like a lion gets on a horse's back, they will jump straight up and fall over backwards landing on the predator from altitude with their full weight. They can also roll sideways or slam you into a tree or wall. The question is, are they tolerating you or welcoming you. The choice is yours.

Ayup...
Nothing like having a pissed off VW Bug (but a *LOT* more manueverable) with a mind of its own deciding it doesn't the fact that you exist, and doing everything in its quite considerable power to turn you into a grease-splat...
I had a neighbor years ago that was going to be a pro rodeo cowboy. He bought himself a fine 7 year old stud to ride and started practicing. The problem was that he was one of those "meat motorcycle" riders and just can't treat a stallion like that. He would do things like work the horse all morning then tie him to tree and sit there and drink a cold beer in front of the horse. The horse scared the shit out of him several times as a warning but he wouldn't listen to me or the horse. One day the horse just grabbed the idiot's shoulder with his mouth and threw him 40 feet.

He had the horse gelded after that. Then the horse really hated him. I had to handle the transfer to the new owner because he couldn't get near the horse.

Like anything else, stupid is as stupid does, and still, there's no open season. Lot of riders here, and a lot of idiots as a consequence. I've ridden mustangs ten hours off the range, and stable hacks that wouldnt swat a fly biting their asses. One thing I know....treat them decently, Don't ask them to do more than they know how to do or can do, and they'll never leave you where you don't want to be. Slow and patient wins in the behavior game

Last edited:
Like anything else, stupid is as stupid does, and still, there's no open season. Lot of riders here, and a lot of idiots aa a consequence. I've ridden mustangs ten hours off the range, and stable hacks that wouldnt swat a fly biting their asses. One thing I know....treat them decently, Don't ask them to do more than they know how to do or can do, and they'll never leave you where you don't want to be. Slow and patient wins in the behavior game
Well and properly said. But then again - ya "been there". Hows things in the big side of the mountains?

The first time I rode a horse, I was maybe 8. For some reason my balls got clenched and I fell off. Worst pain in my life and I've dislocated my shoulder twice. I'm not sure what I did wrong though

Riding a horse is like riding a bike. There is a right way and wrong way to do it - but only time and practice makes you competent as a rider. And btw, too many folks confuse being a competent rider with being a "horseman". That, takes time and study and understanding.

As a quesition Unknownzoo - western or english saddle? Two very different styles of keeping your legs on opposite sides of the steed :).

Like all ranch kids; I started at age two and I was on my own during gather by age four; working in the corral at age six.

Interesting read. I am taking notes.

Thanks to everyone who answered this post of mine. 🙏🏿
Most welcome. Love to impart my knowledge and wisdom when and where I can to help others have a more fulfilling, enjoyable, and happy life. Plus horses are an amazing creature to be with and around. They make awesome friends and companions.

One of my favorite ways to ride. I learned English in college, cause instructor wanted us to develop proper/more secure core position before she'd let anyone ride western.
Indeed bareback is truly a way to be in complete harmony and touch with your friend the horse. It allows you to feel everything and feel just how the horse feels at any given moment. Plus it is so much fun to feel the horse's every movement as the muscles ripple and move, the warmth of its body, and the breaths it takes. Once one masters bareback with no reins you know you have truly become one with your companion. The touch method of riding is truly fun.

Now y'all are making me missing riding again! 😋
Sorry. One who loves horses should always be able to be around them. I too feel your frustration. I lack the funds or the place of my own to do so otherwise I would have many horses and would gladly share them with others.

Indeed bareback is truly a way to be in complete harmony and touch with your friend the horse. It allows you to feel everything and feel just how the horse feels at any given moment. Plus it is so much fun to feel the horse's every movement as the muscles ripple and move, the warmth of its body, and the breaths it takes. Once one masters bareback with no reins you know you have truly become one with your companion. The touch method of riding is truly fun.
Yep, yep, yep. Special message for men: wear a jock strap and wear it as high as you can!!! Otherwise you will feel *PAIN*.

Doin' good, compadre....smoke still comes and goes, but at least the sky goes blue for a bit . Hows things in the flatlands?
Smoke everywhere on the flat over here. Relief in a day or two when this small storm comes through.

Other side of the valley the ranch is a mess. No feed anywhere stretching from north of Santa Paula up through the coastal range damned near clear to the Oregon border. Not a scrap. In all my years I have never seen the ranch look like this. Never. Whole herd sell outs is the theme this year. We had nearly 8 inches of rain last year, but alas, over 6 inches of it fell in 24 hours.

But; with another potential rainy season comes hope. Surely the winter of 21 / 22 has to be better to us.

Smoke everywhere on the flat over here. Relief in a day or two when this small storm comes through.

Other side of the valley the ranch is a mess. No feed anywhere stretching from north of Santa Paula up through the coastal range damned near clear to the Oregon border. Not a scrap. In all my years I have never seen the ranch look like this. Never. Whole herd sell outs is the theme this year. We had nearly 8 inches of rain last year, but alas, over 6 inches of it fell in 24 hours.

But; with another potential rainy season comes hope. Surely the winter of 21 / 22 has to be better to us.
Is buying hay from a broker feasible for you?

Wow, what a wealth of good information about horses, this thread is. Every contributor to this thread has had such valuable input!
This should be required reading for anyone about to get a horse, a new horse owner, or even many horse owners who still have much to learn.
Thank-you to you members on this thread who have life-long experience with horses, and are so willing to share it.
You guys are great!

Starting as kid of around 12 years old, my parents took me on lots of those group trail rides. Boring as they can be, I still didn't want them to end and couldn't wait for the next time. After about two years of riding, we started going to a place where you cross a pasture to get to the trail. I always rode Josh. When they matched riders with horses for the ride, I would always raise my hand and say, "I know Josh and he knows me." So, they always gave me Josh.

On one ride, we came off the trail and started back across the pasture, where the horses would tend to spread out and speed up only a little. Nothing but a fast canter. I had had a little light instruction on what to do/staying on/enjoying it regarding galloping. (Which wasn't much) I jumped my body a little in the saddle and said, "Let's go, Josh!" Off he went, giving me my first galloping ride. Not a "horse racing" gallop; just a gallop. What a thrilling natural high that was, feeling so at-one with the horse, moving right along with him. Oh, how I loved it!

SE

Sell em or ship em to Montana or Wyoming. Yeah its a problem....the growers here are getting second and third alfalfa crops in by watering the hell out of it. Dont think that will last, but there will be some new trucks in the pastures this year. Still, if the drought doesnt break the Dealers will get them al back in a year or so.
For years, there was talk of towing an iceberg down from the Arctic to the West Coast. Maybe its time to try it.

Last edited:
Spooked horses that can't run away from what spooked them (tethered, harnessed, stabled, etc.) are kinda scary.

Last edited:
Back