Zoo Trip Thoughts & Questions

Today is officially my 21st!! In celebration I took a trip to the zoo and it began to make me think a lot about how truly small I am in comparison to so many of my favorite animals. I think I often forget how truly massive wild animals are as I'm so accustomed to our domesticated companions. To be able to see elephants, elk, bison, rhino and many other animals closer than I'd ever be able to in the wild was really humbling and exciting. Do you guys ever just find yourselves in awe at the size and beauty of wild life?

The ethics of a lot of zoos are definitely questionable at best but I feel like the zoo here truly puts a lot of time and effort into replicating all of these animals natural habitat so well. I wonder how many people truly spend time thinking about the animals they're looking at.. The place was filled to the brim with families and they all seemed like they were in such a hurry to rush through, at a place truly made to be admired.. Is genuine admiration for the lives of animals that rare?

I haven't been to the zoo since I was a kid so coming now as an adult with a very different view on animals proved to be an interesting experience. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I wonder how many people truly spend time thinking about the animals they're looking at.. The place was filled to the brim with families and they all seemed like they were in such a hurry to rush through, at a place truly made to be admired.. Is genuine admiration for the lives of animals that rare?
Yes it is.
I spent almost whole days at the zoo and it is incredibly sad to see normal people passing by animals like nothing.
They will never notice the behaviors those animals have from living in a boring, stale place for sometimes dozens of years. Kids are the worst as they mostly do not care at all and will make it completely obvious. The adults at least cover it a little bit.
Many people are careless and use flashes on cameras a behave inappropriately when the animals ignore them.
It is a sad experience. We have reduced animals to something you go to see for a couple of seconds and then leave behind.
Every time I leave the zoo it feels depressing.

Today is officially my 21st!! In celebration I took a trip to the zoo and it began to make me think a lot about how truly small I am in comparison to so many of my favorite animals. I think I often forget how truly massive wild animals are as I'm so accustomed to our domesticated companions. To be able to see elephants, elk, bison, rhino and many other animals closer than I'd ever be able to in the wild was really humbling and exciting. Do you guys ever just find yourselves in awe at the size and beauty of wild life?

The ethics of a lot of zoos are definitely questionable at best but I feel like the zoo here truly puts a lot of time and effort into replicating all of these animals natural habitat so well. I wonder how many people truly spend time thinking about the animals they're looking at.. The place was filled to the brim with families and they all seemed like they were in such a hurry to rush through, at a place truly made to be admired.. Is genuine admiration for the lives of animals that rare?

I haven't been to the zoo since I was a kid so coming now as an adult with a very different view on animals proved to be an interesting experience. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Good points, Blu.

Yes it is.
I spent almost whole days at the zoo and it is incredibly sad to see normal people passing by animals like nothing.
They will never notice the behaviors those animals have from living in a boring, stale place for sometimes dozens of years. Kids are the worst as they mostly do not care at all and will make it completely obvious. The adults at least cover it a little bit.
Many people are careless and use flashes on cameras a behave inappropriately when the animals ignore them.
It is a sad experience. We have reduced animals to something you go to see for a couple of seconds and then leave behind.
Every time I leave the zoo it feels depressing.
I almost threw a fit at someone's kids today while I was in the cave room where they keep the bats. Its covered in signs asking you to whisper if you have to speak and there were kids shrieking at the top of their lungs the whole time they were there.
In general I saw maybe 2-3 families out of at least a hundred who showed the slightest bit of respect for the animals and their surrounds. It genuinely pissed me off so much I had to focus hard on enjoying my trip.

I have a love hate view on zoos. Haven't been to one since I was a kid either, and really don't know if I want to. Would love to see the animals, but I just hate the idea of them being caged up as attractions.

Zoos should be replaced by sanctuaries with just a couple of species where you would go to see an animal in very natural conditions and kind of up close. I think it would inspire more appreciation than watching some animal in a small depressing cage pacing from left to right endlessly.
I do not know about other countries, but here lots of zoos are old and pretty appalling.

I have a love hate view on zoos. Haven't been to one since I was a kid either, and really don't know if I want to. Would love to see the animals, but I just hate the idea of them being caged up as attractions.
One thing I will always boast is that the zoo near me is actually the largest natural habitat zoo in the world at over 500 acres. I completely understand though, overall the zoo here is an extreme exception and I feel should be a standard.

Zoos should be replaced by sanctuaries with just a couple of species where you would go to see an animal in very natural conditions and kind of up close. I think it would inspire more appreciation than watching some animal in a small depressing cage pacing from left to right endlessly.
I do not know about other countries, but here lots of zoos are old and pretty appalling.
I fully agree. The thing I love about this place is it focuses on rehab and reintroduction based breeding programs. Any of their long term residents not apart of a national breeding program are unable to be released in the wild as a result of some aliment, often unfortunately human inflicted.

My favorite animal at this zoo and one of their biggest breeding programs involves the red wolf. They're currently working nationally to develop a large enough population to begin reintroducing them to my area in a restricted reserve with the next 6 years. Honestly I could talk about this place for hours, it gives me hope that zoos can actually be educational tools that can better the lives of these animals but the fact that it's the only place of its kind to my knowledge is depressing

There are at least 2 or 3 wolf/fox sanctuaries within an hour or so of me. I may go visit one of them later this spring/summer.

I fully agree. The thing I love about this place is it focuses on rehab and reintroduction based breeding programs. Any of their long term residents not apart of a national breeding program are unable to be released in the wild as a result of some aliment, often unfortunately human inflicted.

My favorite animal at this zoo and one of their biggest breeding programs involves the red wolf. They're currently working nationally to develop a large enough population to begin reintroducing them to my area in a restricted reserve with the next 6 years. Honestly I could talk about this place for hours, it gives me hope that zoos can actually be educational tools that can better the lives of these animals but the fact that it's the only place of its kind to my knowledge is depressing

Blu, your observations about zoos and the people who visit them are very thoughtful and appreciated. Kids screaming at bats and parents who think the zoo is nothing more than Disney or Busch Gardens without the roller coasters do nothing to inspire future generations to appreciate the animals that share the earth with us.

I truly hope you will have an opportunity to share your positive perspective with others. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with the animals, despite the immaturity and idiocy of the people surrounding you.

Back