What should i do?

I have a neighbor who is rather mean to his dogs one is a lab and the other is a lab and border collie mix they aren't malnourished but my neighbor usually keeps them outside in all types of weather with rarely any food or water. When they are let in they are put into a rather small cage together. The lab is terrified of her owner because he beats her. She will have her tail tucked in and hunched close down to the floor to make her self less of a target when they are togethor. The neighbor also never takes his dogs on a walk or grooms them. What should I do? Should I report him?

I have a neighbor who is rather mean to his dogs one is a lab and the other is a lab and border collie mix they aren't malnourished but my neighbor usually keeps them outside in all types of weather with rarely any food or water. When they are let in they are put into a rather small cage together. The lab is terrified of her owner because he beats her. She will have her tail tucked in and hunched close down to the floor to make her self less of a target when they are togethor. The neighbor also never takes his dogs on a walk or grooms them. What should I do? Should I report him?
Thats such a shame. I think you definitely should yes.

Are you uk?

How many neighbors do you have around you? Does this guy keep to himself? Would he know if you made the phone call to animal control or the Humane Society?
He keeps to himself a bit but he has tons of friends and such go to his house like every weekend. I have tons of neighbors nearby but you cant see his backyard from their house so I dont think they have seen any abuse. He would probably find o ut because animal control likes to tell them who called.

He keeps to himself a bit but he has tons of friends and such go to his house like every weekend. I have tons of neighbors nearby but you cant see his backyard from their house so I dont think they have seen any abuse. He would probably find o ut because animal control likes to tell them who called.
Make it an anonymous phone call from someone else's phone. If the guy poses too much of a threat to you then stay out of it. If you own your own firearm then you are in a good position to defend yourself. Maybe, while he is at work someone could let his dogs out. Hopefully, they will not get spotted due to trespassing laws or nosey neighbors. Either way the scumbag would buy another dog to torment.

Make it an anonymous phone call from someone else's phone. If the guy poses too much of a threat to you then stay out of it. If you own your own firearm then you are in a good position to defend yourself. Maybe, while he is at work someone could let his dogs out. Hopefully, they will not get spotted due to trespassing laws or nosey neighbors. Either way the scumbag would buy another dog to torment.
I'll try my best to report it anonymously if possible. it sucks that he will probably get another dog to torment. I do have a firearm luckily so I can defend myself if he tried anything against me.

I'll try my best to report it anonymously if possible. it sucks that he will probably get another dog to torment. I do have a firearm luckily so I can defend myself if he tried anything against me.
Yeah, get a CCW permit. Make sure you read your state laws in regards to armed self-defense. It's not a bad idea to carry a can of pepper spray on your key-ring. If he tries to jump you while he is unarmed then you can spray him and save yourself some jail time and lawyer fees. If he pulls a knife out then you can shoot him.

Damn it, those poor dogs. But resorting to violence isn't really the answer either... maybe find a way to let them run free? I'm not sure if a street life is worse than what they have to deal with... But a street life won't be easy for a dog either...

That's a messed up situation.

Try and get a recording of the care or miscare of the owner, If this all does go down you will want to have that to back yourself up. Try and make a call anonymously (The payphones they have around pubs are a good choice, plenty of drunks for a smoke screen) to whatever your local animal wellfare group happens to be

Note time and events, Pictures, Places, Times, etc, If you see something problematic Note it down, The more you can record the better off you will be if the Animal cops decide to pick up that case

It's tough - I called out a friend for his treatment of his dogs and now we are no longer friends and law enforcement did nothing. My current neighbors mistreat their dogs (beat them) and have been fined for not keeping control of them. They have threatened to kill mine since one got loose and chased a deer onto their property. One of their male dogs broke his leash and ended up getting caught up in some brush on our property - it was so sad how he scared he was of me. I took my time returning him and made sure he knew all humans were not mean and could love him (and he could love them back).

If you have proof and choose to contact the officials - Its not what you think they do but what you can prove they do. Many people come to internet to talk shit about their neighbours because they simply hate them rather than a real animal abuse case existing.

If you have proof and choose to contact the officials - Its not what you think they do but what you can prove they do. Many people come to internet to talk shit about their neighbours because they simply hate them rather than a real animal abuse case existing.
This is unfortunately correct, He Said She said, Law wont care, But if you have decent evidence, video recordings, Notes of times and events, Thats going to get some interesting questions, , , and if the cops turn up with a warrant then there isnt much that can legally be done to stop them poking around

This is very unfortunate but in most cases dogs that are abused are also malnourished and you say that these dogs are not malnourished so most people seeing them for the first time would think that they are being taken care of because they appear healthy.

Keeping them outside during all kinds of weather is not necessarily abuse either so that view can easily be tossed aside.

If you can capture a video of the owner beating the lab you might have some type of evidence that could be useful but I am just saying this as an observer and don't have any idea how the laws are in your area or how law enforcement handles these kind of problems.

I think I would find out exactly how the law views and handles such problems, and what evidence is required to report animal abuse and then go from there. At least you will have an idea of how to better help these animals.

I have a neighbor who is rather mean to his dogs one is a lab and the other is a lab and border collie mix they aren't malnourished but my neighbor usually keeps them outside in all types of weather with rarely any food or water.
Rarely any food or water and not malnourished?

That they have each other for socialization is better than many other cases, for a start.

Damn it, those poor dogs. But resorting to violence isn't really the answer either... maybe find a way to let them run free? I'm not sure if a street life is worse than what they have to deal with... But a street life won't be easy for a dog either...
Erm, breaking the law and possibly getting both dogs killed at the same time?
You do know how many dogs are euthanized in the US each year? (Even if that's a lot less than it used to be...).

Sadly not all dogs are going to have the same quality of life but unless someone's going to purchase those off him and he's not going to buy any more, it's not easy to "force" a positive outcome in the US.
I'm presuming all avenues with regards to animal welfare agencies - in the first instance to try to support and advise the owner, if viable - have been explored? Unfortunately that's extremely patchwork across the country...
Anything too heavy-handed with no backup may result in the dogs being ditched and ending up dead, anyway.

So do you care more for the dogs being abused? Or how some human feels about you?

Bad thing is.. Even behavioral signs like that are not enuff in animal control's eyes.

You would probly have to invade his privacy to get any proof..

Sooo.. Do you want to be depicted as the nosy neighbor to get evidence? And possibly face charges yourself?

I don't envy your situation!!

Back