What breed of dog is perfect for inexperienced one?

Hi Meroth,
thank you for your great question. As I am also curious about getting a dog (someday), let me add another consideration:

Social behavior:
I want to partner with a male dog. But I am really concerned about his potential social behavior when he will be left intact. Will he show aggressiveness against other dogs or visitors? My hope is to bring up a dog, which is friendly and nice to other dogs and people. What kind of breed would be the best choice?

Honestly so many different breeds are good for different people . Personally my first was a Labrador others Id recommend are Golden retrievers if like long hair breeds or Boxers all of which Ive owned.

First of all, you should be active because no matter the breed, all dogs require at least a good amount of exercise.
You should also bring up time, energy and a good amount of effort to stimulate the dogs brain by doing some kind of work with them. The "work" varies from breed to breed.

If you really want to be a responsible owner, you will HAVE to spend a lot of time training your dog and provide a healthy lifestyle to keep your dog physically and mentally healthy.

I DO NOT recommend highly specialized breeds to an inexperienced owner.
With that I mean do not get a Rottweiler, Husky, German Shepherd, Dobermann, Pitbull and various other breeds that are bred to do a job.
The problem with breeds like Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Doberman and other "protection" or herding dogs is, that they tend to react aggressively when not trained and handled right. Those dogs are more likely to bite since they were bred to do so. They also require a lot of work to keep them well stimulated. Not really fitting if you live in a city environment also.

Huskies are extremely independent, however they also tend to be very friendly and sweet towards humans and dogs, whereas the breeds I described above are more likely to be at least very sceptic about other humans and dogs.
Huskies do need a hell lot of exercise and are pretty intelligent (from what I've heard). They will NEVER be as obedient as a German Shepherd. Huskies also have a pretty high prey drive. If not handled right they may just take off to chase after a squirrel and come back a few hours later.
However, I'd feel more comfortable with an inexperienced owner dealing with a husky rather than a GSD or Rotti.

I do intentionally make statements like that because people should really be willing to deal with a dog in it's extremes in order to get a certain breed. Be prepared for everything and life will be a little bit less shitty.

I personally recommend a Labrador or Golden Retriever, since they are mostly not hardcore. Maybe they lack a little bit distance towards other living beings but that's nothing that can't be trained out of them.
A good looking black lab would be prettx nice in my opinion. Make sure to get your dog from a real breeder if you want a puppy.

I am ashamed of most of the people in this thread. The OP mentioned speaking Russian and no one thought to ask where he lives. Some parts of Russia have hundred below zero winters and some parts have hundred above summers. The very first thing you think about is climate when you choose a breed. You do *NOT* want a shorthaired dog in a polar climate or an arctic breed in a tropical climate.

I am ashamed of most of the people in this thread. The OP mentioned speaking Russian and no one thought to ask where he lives. Some parts of Russia have hundred below zero winters and some parts have hundred above summers. The very first thing you think about is climate when you choose a breed. You do *NOT* want a shorthaired dog in a polar climate or an arctic breed in a tropical climate.
Well, just because he's a Russian speaker doesn't mean he's still living in Russia ATM, then again you don't want to assume he isn't currently residing there. So he might need a Newfoundland, Golden retriever, or Malamute then. A breed you can either slap a coat on, or a breed built for the cold. Although from expirence Newfies are very stubborn which will take a bit if training.

A lot of steratypes have been stated in this thread. =)
If I want to get a Caucasian shepherd, for example, how many labradors should I have before that? One? Three? Five?...
And how will this help me when i start working with the Caucasian Shepherd?
Practice shows that it will not help in any way, with the possible exception of the most basic skills about dogs, if you did not have them.
Working with Caucasian Shepherds you will get these skills identically.
In my opinion, you should begin to interact and work with the breed that interests you. But it is precisely to interact, work and study. At first, under the guidance of more experienced instructors, trainers, or breeders. What is the custom to call these people, for example in the United States, I don’t know ... =)
But the general idea is to learn more about the breed you are interested in, observe it, learn to interact and work. And only after that start your own puppy. Сategorically do not run to buy an animal whose breed suddenly seemed very nice to you.
This approach, in fact, is also debatable. But for me it looks preferable.
You do *NOT* want a shorthaired dog in a polar climate or an arctic breed in a tropical climate.
You're right. And at the same time, no. The type of content is critical. In Krasnoyarsk contain Dobermans. In homes or flats. These dogs go outside just for walks and feel great. However, if we are talking about keeping in enclosures, or just outside, only a few breeds can fully exist in such conditions in a given area. This is a very long conversation ... But you are right, this factor is undoubtedly worth considering.
Newfoundland, Golden retriever, or Malamute then.
In practice, not everything determines the length of the coat. The East European Shepherd Dog (have you heard about such a GSD morph?) is much easier to tolerate frosts than Newfoundland. Just for example. =)

Last edited:
If I understand the question correctly, then if you have motivation, regardless of your gender, you can work with any breed. Gender is not important, your motivation is important ...

If I want to get a Caucasian shepherd, for example, how many labradors should I have before that? One? Three? Five?...
And how will this help me when i start working with the Caucasian Shepherd?
The amount of labs do not count. The reason so many people recommend this breed to a first time dog owner is, that you really need to understand dog behavior in its basics first, before considering a rather difficult breed like a Caucasian Shepherd.
You also have to have the right personality to own certain breeds.
For example, I could never own a Jack Russel Terrier because their traits do not fit into my lifestyle. This wouldn't make just me unhappy but also the dog.

The person who asked for opinions on which breed to get also told us in what kind of environment he lives in. In fact, he said "citizen" but what he meant was, that he lives in an urban environment. So a livestock guardian dog would not really fit.

If he really, urgently wants to have a Rottie then of course he may get one but as you already stated there is an unbelievably high amount of work that has to be put in it, especially for a FIRST TIME dog owner.
I own a shepherd myself and live in a suburban area and I KNOW how much struggle there can be since this is my first own dog. I am also getting an Eastern European Shepherd soon but I only chose this breed because I already have experience with aggressive behavior in (german) shepherds, so I am mostly prepared for what may or may not come.
My dream is to own a Kangal or an Centralasian Shepherd, but I know I couldn't handle one, nor could I provide the space for one. Until I maybe fulfill my dream of owning this dog, I will be keeping dogs that are less intense, like the Eastern European Shepherd (which can also be quite intense), the Australian Shepherd, a Rottweiler and so on.

Many people do not want to spend the money on good trainers (I did not go to a trainer also) and put in the time and work to be able to handle a special breed, so considering to get a Lab is the best decision.

The amount of labs do not count. The reason so many people recommend this breed to a first time dog owner is, that you really need to understand dog behavior in its basics first, before considering a rather difficult breed like a Caucasian Shepherd.
So I say that it does not count ... =) The owner who had 5 labs, when working with a Caucasian shepherd dog will make 95% of the same mistakes as a person who did not contain dogs before. =)
The remaining, most basic skills can easily be gained even with a Caucasian shepherd. And again, I didn’t say that he should start a Caucasian-style shepherd dog when he wanted to. Go and buy for yourself. Not. It's about working with the supervision of other breeders.
You also have to have the right personality to own certain breeds.
For example, I could never own a Jack Russel Terrier because their traits do not fit into my lifestyle. This wouldn't make just me unhappy but also the dog.

The person who asked for opinions on which breed to get also told us in what kind of environment he lives in. In fact, he said "citizen" but what he meant was, that he lives in an urban environment. So a livestock guardian dog would not really fit.

If he really, urgently wants to have a Rottie then of course he may get one but as you already stated there is an unbelievably high amount of work that has to be put in it, especially for a FIRST TIME dog owner.
I completely did not understand what I should argue with in this statement. =) Absolutely fair statement.
My dream is to own a Kangal or an Centralasian Shepherd, but I know I couldn't handle one
Why are you so sure that you could not cope? =)
Now I do not mean material problems of content, this is a different conversation.
I did not work with Kangal, but I worked a lot with Centralasian Shepherd. If you mean aggressiveness, it is no higher than Rottie. A slightly different type of higher nervous activity, and nothing more. It should be borne in mind that dogs 90% of the breeders of this breed have nothing to do with the aboriginal dogs. This is even more true for the Caucasian Shepherd. However, where did such stereotypes come from regarding the incredible “complexity” (what does this mean, by the way?) Of Centralasian Shepherd, it’s not completely clear. =)
Many people do not want to spend the money on good trainers (I did not go to a trainer also) and put in the time and work to be able to handle a special breed, so considering to get a Lab is the best decision.
There is no problem if a person really loves labs, and wants to keep them. But dividing the breeds into “simple” and “difficult” is, in my opinion, not entirely correct.
And the opinion that before you start a “difficult” breed, you must certainly contain a certain amount of “simple”, IMHO is pretty ridiculous.
No, of course, any experience is useful, but to tell a person who wants to work with the same Caucasian Shepherd that first he needs to have a lab, or something like that, this is a very dubious way, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I suggest you start out with the type of breed YOU would be interested in. Then do your homework. Talk to people who breed (reputable), train, show, and own them. Make sure you choose a dog that will be compatable with your lifestyle ( are you active?, do you work a lot?) and your experience ( in and out of the bedroom). I have owned german shepards, pit bulls, a husky, and a peekapoo. Along with several mixed breeds. ( im old). I would not recommend either a husky or a pit if you have little to no experience in working with dogs. An informed decision is always the best decision.

I think for a newbie a quite boring (Lab or Retriever) is right for for him. Both male and female is a good start. As you asserted you are an experience zoo he is not. After gaining some experience he can move on to other breeds.

Dude he asked a legitimate question (don't show off). Your rambling about intelligence and drive is not helpful. It’s like some ask you for help with addition and you start boasting about your Algebra prowess.
zzzzzz
If they want a more active dog. They could consider a GSD

Hello everyone!

I'm REALLY want to apologize for my English (my native language is russian. You can ask some questions if you want :)). It should be really painful to read what I've wrote, sorry

So, I have read some topics and now know that you should choose a dog according to:

1. Difficulty of training and upbringing
It would be a pity, if dobermann won't obey you, huh? :)
Inexperienced people just can't deal with that breeds of dogs. That's also about dogs that require a special treat: diet, vitamins, medicines, etc.

2. The activity of the dog
Dog should fit your lifestyle.

3. Sizes of the dog
Citizens can't keep really big ones in their flats. That's about length and width of the dog's "device" as well (especially if you want to practice anal). Length of dog's legs is also important as I noticed.

Eventually, what species are perfect for newbies in general?
I heard that the German Shepherds are just ideal ones. Is that so?
From what point of view you are asking?
For dog sex or in general companion or house dog?

You won’t get a definitive answer because everyone has a different opinion.....and have to say some of the replies are just plain unsuitable
oh and getting a dog just for sex is wrong get a dildo instead

Really depends on the context of your living situation, how much you know and tbh your chemistry with your dog. As Wasbitchpolly said very well, a doggy is not a sex object but a lifelong companion <3

For me personally, my first time and first dog is my current dog, a Golden Retriever, and can strongly attest that they are not as large, friendlier and gentler than other breeds :). I'm not just talking about sexually btw, I mean as a companion too. Labradors are also very similar to Golden Retrievers in that regard and also make great first dogs :) Don't do anything too silly and don't go into anything too fast x

I wouldn't even break it down by breed really...... while this is to an extent; obviously a Dane or mastiff can be a lot for a first timer, it can work and be a wonderful time. Doing it with a dog who may have had mating experience can be the best way to go and I only say that because if both you and the dog isn't experienced and you feel uncomfortable or the dog is to crazy and moving all around it could result in you getting poked by the dog penis which hurts....and can cause extensive bleeding (currently going through that now lol). However every experience for me has been a good one even this stabbing I still will have fond memories off..it's being with a dog which is the best thing in the world to me <3

Many times I have heard German shepherds are the best for begginners. Agree, I'd add Rotties and Danes: they're huge, but you will stand their cocks for sure. Lovely and horny guys for me

I wouldn't even break it down by breed really...... while this is to an extent; obviously a Dane or mastiff can be a lot for a first timer, it can work and be a wonderful time. Doing it with a dog who may have had mating experience can be the best way to go and I only say that because if both you and the dog isn't experienced and you feel uncomfortable or the dog is to crazy and moving all around it could result in you getting poked by the dog penis which hurts....and can cause extensive bleeding (currently going through that now lol). However every experience for me has been a good one even this stabbing I still will have fond memories off..it's being with a dog which is the best thing in the world to me <3
On one hand it can be almost any dog that is a good size for you. The idea is he will be a companion with a rewarding relationship with you and anything else that happens is just icing on the cake.

my 1st experience was with a German Shepard mutt. He did not have human experience, but he was experienced with other dogs so he knew what to do. The 1st few times were not perfect mating attempts...lol I was a bit awkward and nervous at times but he was persistent and I was submissive so...it worked

Fortunately for me, I have experience with intelligent dogs. My current girl is a saluki, who is extremely independent minded. Personally, I don't like dumb dogs. I prefer mine to be very smart because that is one thing I find makes them interesting. Labs and retrievers seem ultra boring to me.
"Go fetch" -- yeah, no. [zzz]

But there is a difference between intelligence and drive. Some dogs are extremely driven as well as smart (or worse, driven and not smart). I'm not sure I would like having, say, a border collie because they are neurotic about always having to have a job to do. I'm not 100% sure about huskies in this regard, but those I've spoken to who have them say that they are not quite like that.
My lab is super intelligent. You can’t categorize a breed as dumb. Watch it bro.

Back