What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

May's hard push to get through the entirety of Harry Potter kinda burnt me out so took a bit of a break in June. Only 4 books, though did read a few short manga and some comics as well.

Star Wars: Splinter of the Mind's Eye
Star Wars: Shadow Games
Stargate SG1 Transitions
Last Chance to See - Douglas Adams

Found a german (anti)zoo book called "Verschwiegenes Tierleid", featuring essays from various authors. I'm one chapter in and I already feel like dropping it. The first author, a family doctor, conflates every form of zoo behavior as animal abuse, claims that there is "scientifically proven" harm to the animal with no sources provided, and despite this he makes a big deal out of his credentials. His descriptions of genuine animal abuse are disturbing, but what's equally disturbing is how he treated a human patient: an adolescent with a torn rectum, who confides to him that he let his male dog tie his ass. What does the doc do? Tell his parents, of course. And then he goes on how the dog was the victim and all that.

The power that preserves - S. R. Donaldson
Y'know, I ran through the Thomas Covenant series years and years ago in dead-tree form, (the first two chronicles - the third set had yet to be heard of) and thought it pretty good. Then maybe 5 years or so ago, I found the full set, including the "new" stuff in audiobook form, and managed to make it through the Illearth war, but just couldn't make myself keep going. Dunno why... just wouldn't "click" for me.

I first read the first three books 20 some odd years ago but this time while still enjoyable it just didn't draw me back in like it did the first time

I had a friend who had a german shepherd named Argos, That was one Sexy Beast. All you had to do was bend over in front of him and he wanted to mount you. Sadly I kept my sweat pants on and did not go through with the act, Because it was my friends mate and I didn't want to do that to him. But years down the road after Argos passed away, my friend said he would not have mind if Argos bred me. YEAH NOW ya tell me. That dog was hung, you could feel him trying to tear thru the sweatpants. GRRRR!

Just started a re-run of David Eddings' "The Will and the Word" set (The Belgariad/The Mallorean/Belgarath/Polgara) as audiobooks. Currently about a third of the way through "Queen of Sorcery"

A book about the Plague in Europe in the 14th century titled "Die Macht der Seuche". Only seems to be available in German, at least I can not find an English title or translation for it.

Back