Using telegram

I’m new to this and keep hearing about telegram.
How does it work and what are the benefits.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'd do some research before getting into Telegram for zoo stuff. People keep asking me for my telegram handle to chat but I'm reluctant to give it out. Seems like I get alot of scammers and/or feds asking for it all the time and if they want it then obviously they have something nefarious in mind. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

Chats are not encrypted by default and I wouldn't trust it with anonymity because it requires your phone number to sign up.

Security is a game of cat and mouse in most instances. These days it's virtually impossible to have complete anonymity. At best one can only be prudent and try to maintain a relatively low profile. I've used Telegram for a great many years now and it has served me adequately. I avoid large groups using it primarily for one-on-one conversations. I have my security settings set pretty tight. Seriously if the authorities want to find and watch someone there really is very little one can do to remain 'hidden'...

Security is a game of cat and mouse in most instances. These days it's virtually impossible to have complete anonymity. At best one can only be prudent and try to maintain a relatively low profile. I've used Telegram for a great many years now and it has served me adequately. I avoid large groups using it primarily for one-on-one conversations. I have my security settings set pretty tight. Seriously if the authorities want to find and watch someone there really is very little one can do to remain 'hidden'...
That's fair and a good point was just curious as to what the thought process was

Telegram is a messaging app. Although they say it's encrypted it's not 100% secure and you can still screenshot conversations and as others have mentioned, it requires a phone number to sign up.

I have heard good things about Sessions. Personally, I use an app called 'Wire.'

Another thing I'm not going to install a plethora of clients to talk to others. I started with Telegram probably close to 10 years ago. Several of my close friends use it although one has tried to get me to use Signal which I'm not going to do. Of course others will do what they will and feel most secure with. If others here on ZooVille want to chat with me one-on-one Telegram is the chat client I use.

I encourage the use a good VPN client, my personal choice is NordVPN which gets some of the best overall ratings...

Telegram requires a phone number so can be traced to you in most instances so it really should only be used for people who are trusted.

Going to look into wire. While possible it is a hassle to use telegram without an identifiable phone number.

Back