Spay and neuter / adopt don't shop

What do you mean, like only a partial hysterectomy (ovary sparing)?

The worst part is that lots of refuges and government campaigns only do a Oophorectomy (removing the ovaries and sparing the utherus), because it's the cheaper way (and easier, since it's mostly done by students), so they still leave the female dogs with the posibility of getting pyometra and uterine cancer, so they can't even claim the "health benefices of spaying"...

P.S.: https://ivcjournal.com/the-pros-of-partial-spay/
Yes and especially vasectomy, the risk is there for females but with humans you don't remove your ovaries or breasts "just in case", yet we do have a lot of risks as well.
I get the concern but I don't think it common spay should be the only considered option for at least young females.

Also shelters mostly want to avoid new litters in my opinion.

Local Shelters are budgetarily stressed. If you feel you have to give, give locally....it actually does help critters. As far as adopting goes, if any place calling itself a Shelter takes the attitude that all those restrictive criteria are good for the dogs, or any other critters under their control, find another Shelter.

The same thing seems to be happening for animal adoptions that happened to child adoptions. With enough criteria, the delay makes the animal or child unadoptable. When major businesses are pushing( Subaru and Bissell come to mind) bucks for animals as a come-on, of course the Shelters will do whatever those operations ask, to keep that dollar flow....it IS about the money....
Your tv donations pay for Ferraris and perks, not for hands-on care on the ground. 19.00 a month means 50, 000 new donors committing for a year to even make a dent, IF it gets there to the four-legged animals, instead of the two-legged. A decent shelter wants a good home for its critters, yes, but they shouldnt be setting the bar to BAR adoptions. Their job is to reduce the numbers of unwanted animals....not home them in their own Shelter facilities.

Yes and especially vasectomy, the risk is there for females but with humans you don't remove your ovaries or breasts "just in case", yet we do have a lot of risks as well.
I get the concern but I don't think it common spay should be the only considered option for at least young females.

Also shelters mostly want to avoid new litters in my opinion.

Yes, specially when shelters are castrating puppies that are only 5-6 months old (they don't even wait for the first estrus or their testicles to decent), that gives lots of health problems ahead.

This is also an alternative to vasectomy for dogs. https://www.parsemus.org/pethealth/calcium-chloride-neuter/

Local Shelters are budgetarily stressed. If you feel you have to give, give locally....it actually does help critters. As far as adopting goes, if any place calling itself a Shelter takes the attitude that all those restrictive criteria are good for the dogs, or any other critters under their control, find another Shelter.

The same thing seems to be happening for animal adoptions that happened to child adoptions. With enough criteria, the delay makes the animal or child unadoptable. When major businesses are pushing( Subaru and Bissell come to mind) bucks for animals as a come-on, of course the Shelters will do whatever those operations ask, to keep that dollar flow....it IS about the money....
Your tv donations pay for Ferraris and perks, not for hands-on care on the ground. 19.00 a month means 50, 000 new donors committing for a year to even make a dent, IF it gets there to the four-legged animals, instead of the two-legged. A decent shelter wants a good home for its critters, yes, but they shouldnt be setting the bar to BAR adoptions. Their job is to reduce the numbers of unwanted animals....not home them in their own Shelter facilities.

Yes, it's like they want to keep the dogs to receive more money...

In another city I lived the local shelter had an option to take dogs for the weekend, so you can get the dog better and see if you both get along before adoption, and even if you couldn't adopt them at that moment (and just want to transit them), they have it as an option to get the dogs out of the shelters too, break their routine, so they can have a better life. But where I live know they don't allow it, they said it's 'too traumatic for the dog to move between homes', yeah more traumatic than being in a 1m² cage all day...

This is an interesting conversation and similar to what I have experienced. I first wanted to adopt a dog before I ended up going with a breeder and none of them wanted to let me adopt. It was such a bad experience I did so much research and ended up with the dog I had now who I got from an AKC certifed breeder.

Thus experience was so much different and the funny part about the neuter convention was also surprising to me. The breeder I worked with actually told me they recommend keeping their dogs intact and not to neuter because of the negative development benefits that can happen if you do neuter. They instead recommended doing ongoing training so my dog Brady still goes to training to this day and he is the most wonderful dog ever.

criadores de perros: no compre cachorros criador de patio trasero
también criadores de perros: la mitad del salario de tu vida es el precio de un cachorro, en un contrato de 700 páginas te diré cómo puedes conservarla y criarla, qué puedes alimentarla, dónde puedes llevarla, cuántos minutos Tengo que correr con ella y yo decido cuándo es apropiado que se tire un pedo.
Iré a por ti varias veces al mes y te regañaré por ello si no lo haces de esta manera, te preguntaré constantemente por messenger. Si estoy de ese humor, te quitaré el perro y lo llevaré a una competición o a un criadero. Si es de excelente calidad, te lo volveré a comprar.
Tienes que vivir en una casa cara, con un salario alto, un coche caro, también miraré tus impuestos y el armario de tu dormitorio.
Tal cual, los vendedores de animales y los dueños de "refugios" son nazis frustrados, que su mierda la cultivan en este ambiente.
Los vendedores de animales y los propietarios de "refugios" son nazis frustrados que cultivan su mierda en este entorno.

Agreed, still I believe hormones sparing neuter should be done instead of desexing for strays and shelter pups
Not much of a cheaper option exists than what we do.

Anything more expensive, and starvation becomes a risk because of the difficulty of implementation.

And thing less expensive and well... we end up with a deer situation. A few rounds of .306 will always be cheaper.

Both of my dogs are craigslist rehomes. My next dog will probably be a craigslist re-home. One of my dogs is neutered, I would not have neutered him especially at such a young age but it is what it is.

Not much of a cheaper option exists than what we do.

Anything more expensive, and starvation becomes a risk because of the difficulty of implementation.

And thing less expensive and well... we end up with a deer situation. A few rounds of .306 will always be cheaper.
It's the same price from what I've read.

So, I am all for neutering/spaying for medical reasons but also all for it for a few personal reasons. I will use my situation as an example

In 2016 I decided that My shepherd needed a friend to help her out through the day and keep her company. So began my search for a friend. I had decided on a Husky and had 5 dogs lined up interstate to go meet to determine who would be the best fit. Having a background working in K9 training and handling as well as breeding operations, I was looking out for certain things that the general public normally wouldn't. That is how I determined that the first Husky I came across was being physically abused. I only saw him that day because I decided then and there that I dont care if I have to rehome him, im taking him out of this environment. I wont go into the story here, might post it in stories later because it is honestly a nice story. anyway, so things happened. just happened to be that my sheppy was in the right point in her cycle, and my new boy not only got a non abusive home, but he got lucky too.

So great, now I have inadvertently become one of the things I despise which is a backyard breeder. So I vow then and there to make sure these puppies will be extremely well looked after and cared for and only go to the best homes. Thankfully for me, being Shepherd X Husky pups, they were quite sought after. Anyway I realised in that moment that regardless of my housemate and I being on opposing work schedules. I could not safely say that I was able to keep them apart when the ladies were in heat, so I made the decision to spay the boy. Ultimately the decision came so that the safety of my pack was assured. I know that probably isnt a decision that a lot will agree with here and some may even say I should have just crated them. well I don't believe in crate training. never used it before, never will and I have never had a destructive dog. he still mounts and ties with them when they are in heat so he is still getting fun, if you could use that term, just cant get em pregnant

So, I am all for neutering/spaying for medical reasons but also all for it for a few personal reasons. I will use my situation as an example

In 2016 I decided that My shepherd needed a friend to help her out through the day and keep her company. So began my search for a friend. I had decided on a Husky and had 5 dogs lined up interstate to go meet to determine who would be the best fit. Having a background working in K9 training and handling as well as breeding operations, I was looking out for certain things that the general public normally wouldn't. That is how I determined that the first Husky I came across was being physically abused. I only saw him that day because I decided then and there that I dont care if I have to rehome him, im taking him out of this environment. I wont go into the story here, might post it in stories later because it is honestly a nice story. anyway, so things happened. just happened to be that my sheppy was in the right point in her cycle, and my new boy not only got a non abusive home, but he got lucky too.

So great, now I have inadvertently become one of the things I despise which is a backyard breeder. So I vow then and there to make sure these puppies will be extremely well looked after and cared for and only go to the best homes. Thankfully for me, being Shepherd X Husky pups, they were quite sought after. Anyway I realised in that moment that regardless of my housemate and I being on opposing work schedules. I could not safely say that I was able to keep them apart when the ladies were in heat, so I made the decision to spay the boy. Ultimately the decision came so that the safety of my pack was assured. I know that probably isnt a decision that a lot will agree with here and some may even say I should have just crated them. well I don't believe in crate training. never used it before, never will and I have never had a destructive dog. he still mounts and ties with them when they are in heat so he is still getting fun, if you could use that term, just cant get em pregnant
I still believe a vasectomy would have been the best choice here, but I understand why you did it

It's the same price from what I've read.
All I'm finding is things like Hormonal patches, which require eventual replacement (Most I'm seeing at ~12 months)... which easily adds enough complexity, especially in tracking, that it would easily cost more.

And... given the impact that hormonal birth control has on humans... I'd say that I wouldn't even consider that necessarily any more humane than surgery.

Back