Recommended dog Breeds?

I've been thinking about getting a dog (a big one!), but I still can't decide which breed to go for.
Ok - so it depends on a lot of things.
1) what can you accommodate at home?
2) what's your build?
3) what breed do ou like the look of?
Onthe assumption that one is ok ... you have a big enough place for a large to medium dog.
2) your build. I've had fun with dogs ranging from maltese terriers to mastiffs. I stand around 185 tall, with longish thighs. The maltese had to go missionary and we got there. He had a surprisingly big knot and he clearly got the memo. But the best fun were my dogs that were large enough to comfortably "cover" me, and this was the size that I owned. They were all very tall. Either lab/sheps or rotty/sheps or full sheps or full labs. The best ever, however, was an Irish Wolfhound who stood taller than me when i was "in the position" and totally made me his own. In each case, they eventually discovered that staying inside and not turning was better. This took some work, by grabbing the front legs of a large boy and keeping them in front of the shoulder. Over time (variable) they discovered this was wonderful and eventually no reminders were needed. They locked, grabbed the shoulders and loaded (for up to 30 minutes or more).
3) the breed? All dogs are different. They have different personalities and different attitudes to "doing the deed" (no matter what the breed from my experience).
You will shape what your dog partner does and how it happens. Repetiton is the key ... seek the same thing every time and (from my experience) he/she will always want to please [because you are offering the most fun he/she is going to have on a regular basis).
Be open, relaxed and gentle with your doggie partner and they will learn the pattern because they love it too. After being topped by seven dogs over the years, the fastest to get the hang and discover the joys of being buried deep was three months. The longest was two years. The most active was a rotty/shepherd, the laziest (literally three pumps and a fart) was a golden retriever. But that is more about the individual. I knew a golden retreiver who was an absolute pile driver but the one I had the longest relationship with was a passive pusher.
So - if you can (and its very hard) try before you buy.
Others may disagree, but it's very hard to give general guides on breeds because (again from may experience) each individual dog has a unique personality and sex drive. Just like we do.
From my ownerships, the lab/shepherd cross was the most predictable and gave a satisfyingly large knot. On pile driver hard pumping, the rotty/shepherd won. On overall cover, domination, deep thrust and solid penetration, the irish wolfhound took the bill.
But and I stress - each dog is an individual, and 80 per cent is the relationship you build over time.

Back