Not Neutering Talk with Breeder

RandomNameGenerated

Citizen of Zooville
I’m in talks with a breeder to get a dog and I know most breeders have a clause in their contract that non-show or pet dogs have to be spayed/neutered. For those of you that got your dogs through breeders, how did you have the talk and not have to spay/neuter?

breeders i looked into didn't seem to care if you spayed or neutered, what breed are you looking for? I think some show type dogs have a clause that they own the breeding rights to the dog so you can't take their lineage and expand it at your own free will but I don't think that will apply for the breeding you're hoping to do

I'm looking into Great Danes. The breeder won't be having the litter until late Summer/early Fall. Should I ask the breeder for a copy of the contract ahead of time or just ask about not spaying/neutering?

There is a large body of research about long-term effects of neutering especially early neutering on large dogs. Biggest risks are (1) bone growth issues such as hip dysplasia, (2) prostate cancer, (3) bone cancer, (4) exacerbation of fear-related behavior problems.

Look at the studies cited at the bottom. Talk to your breeder that you are concerned with these risks, and perhaps suggest vasectomy instead if the worry is "uncontrolled" breeding (there are a list of vets that do this).

Basically the bottom line is that sex hormones affect the whole body and especially skeletal system.

I'm looking into Great Danes. The breeder won't be having the litter until late Summer/early Fall. Should I ask the breeder for a copy of the contract ahead of time or just ask about not spaying/neutering?
you should always see the breeders contract before putting down a deposit, you need to be interested in more than just the spay/neuter clause

when you find a breeder you're interested in, ask what the price is, deposit amount, both parents on premises for you to meet, what their dogs are breed for, if they have a contract (some contracts are just a simple you give breeder first right of refusal if you rehome the dog, others get crazy about who owns breeding rights, what you "must" feed your dog, ect...) what shots they provide

I've never heard of this sort of thing. You sign a contract where you state you wont deliberately breed with him for showlines, but no contract can make you neuter your dog... at least not here in Europe. I've had 2 'purebred' dogs from showlines this far, neither of my dogs was suited for breeding due to minor defects so we agreed to not do so. But if you have a breeder that demands this, just go elsewhere, its ridiculous.

I've never heard of this sort of thing. You sign a contract where you state you wont deliberately breed with him for showlines, but no contract can make you neuter your dog... at least not here in Europe. I've had 2 'purebred' dogs from showlines this far, neither of my dogs was suited for breeding due to minor defects so we agreed to not do so. But if you have a breeder that demands this, just go elsewhere, its ridiculous.

Spay/neuter is much more common in the States and it's not unusual for breeders of show or sporting dogs to require "pet only" dogs be spayed/neutered. It's them "protecting" their lines, their work. It's stupid, but it's definitely a common thing on this side of the pond.

I just got a copy of the contract to look over. Sold on limited registration. I’d like to keep him intact. How do you recommend going about this discussion?

When I got my dane from the breeder, it was stated in the contract not to spay her until 2 years old so that she can develop properly (look for this in a dane breeder, shows that they care about the long term health of the dogs). There was conflicting language in the contract about spay and then staying that "this is a no breeding contract" so I took it more to mean the second part. 2 years came and went and the breeder never reached out to ask if I had it done even though my wife stays in somewhat contact with them via facebook.

Like other people in the thread have talked about, I think breeders are becoming more aware of the negative effects spaying/neutering have, especially on larger breed dogs.

The breeder I got my male Golden from requires in her contract that owners cannot spay or neuter until 2 years of age. Around the time my boy turned 2, I asked if it was mandatory to get him fixed or if I could leave him intact, and she said that leaving him intact was preferable.

I'm not sure how helpful this is to the OP since this topic is a bit old, but for anyone who finds this thread looking for advice, I'd recommend gathering up all the articles and studies that have shown how spaying and neutering negativity affect dogs. It isn't just a matter of wanting your dog to be intact so you can potentially mate with them in the future (hell, I haven't done much with my intact boy), it's a matter of wanting to reduce risks and possibly increase their lifespan.

I did receive a copy of their contract and there was a clause about spay/neuter surgery before a specified time and that the surgery should not be taken lightly. I have not gone forward with this breeder since I’ll be on the process of moving when the puppies would be available. I take this to be a sign that keeping them intact may be a valid outcome

Here in civilized world you cannot legally make that kind of contract that would be legally binding even if breeder includes terms of neutering. The ownership of an animal transfers 100% when the deal is made. No after terms are legal after the ownership has been transferred even if they were included in the contract. I dont know about murica if anyone has ever chased that legally if the dog was not actually bred for money.

Last edited:
Back