Manual or automatic?

What do you prefer to drive? Manual or Automatic?

• manual

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • automatic

Votes: 77 28.7%

• Total voters
God, those old toyotas last forever. I'm not sure if they're called the same in your country or not? But Celicas, Camry's, and Corollas from the late 80s up until the late 90s last forever! Same with Honda's as well, as long as long they're taken care of. My brother has a 1998 Camry that has over 301,000 miles on it or 486, 022 km on it.
84 toyota Corolla was my first car i loved it

For anything other than a fun machine, probably best to just have an auto. You want more connectivity to your machine when driving a sport or muscle car.

I have a turbo Toyota Starlet too.
I love that car! Mine is not turbo, I wanted to put the turbocharged engine on it but at that time I didn't have the time to search for it, and the 4E-FE aspirated engine appeared at a reasonable price. I have 8 years with this engine and runs great without issues.
Seems like you and I have some things in common ;)

I have a manual car because where I live automatics haven't become more mainstream until the last few years. I prefer automatics, specially the modern ones with extra shifts, sport/fuel economy modes and the possibility to change to manual when you need it (like in mountains) or for fun. But for everyday driving, specially in the city, manual is a pain in the ass, in particular when your clutch is not working properly :husky_laughing:

Last edited:
My private car is a Volvo V70R manual
my company car however is automatic transmission, drives much much easier during traffic jams and in the city.
I voted for automatic, makes driving in germoney much less stressful.

Automatic is much better, but unfortunately most of them drive manually in Germany. Incomprehensible. The only automatic I don't like is the CVT Transmission. Runs like a tram.
My scooter is CVT, I like driving it. But on a car I can't imagine having a CVT transmission D:

Auto 4x4 I use for commute and shopping, manual farm ute (australian for pickup truck), 2 manual tractors, 6 speed manual truck, had a tray truck with a V8 diesel and 10 speed road ranger but sold it after having moved due to not being used and short on cash. Prefer auto for lazy commute and manual for simplicity reliability and ease of repair.

Most dogs have both, you start them as a manual with 4 on the floor, then by using the pink gear selector, they turn into a fully automatic with acceleration that can rocket your backside to the moon. :gsd_wink:

Always manual for me, autos are not so common here. I've only driven an automatic once, and had to mash my left foot into the floor as it was just dying to use that brake pedal as a clutch. My biggest fear of automatics is driving at 70mph on a motorway and trying to do a "gear change" :gsd_laughing:

Always manual for me, autos are not so common here. I've only driven an automatic once, and had to mash my left foot into the floor as it was just dying to use that brake pedal as a clutch. My biggest fear of automatics is driving at 70mph on a motorway and trying to do a "gear change" :gsd_laughing:
We interrupt our programming to cross live to our eye in the sky reporter, who is over the scene of a 50 car pile up on the M1. Apparently a yellow lab tried to change gears in his automatic rental car and caused a nose to tail pile up over 1/4 mile long in peak hour traffic.

We interrupt our programming to cross live to our eye in the sky reporter, who is over the scene of a 50 car pile up on the M1. Apparently a yellow lab tried to change gears in his automatic rental car and caused a nose to tail pile up over 1/4 mile long in peak hour traffic.
Haha this was actually a possible scenario that day but I stuck to the smaller roads :gsd_laughing:, and the tail back would have been at least 5 miles within 30 minutes, I've been stuck in way too many myself.

You can tell who is from where when you see words like motorbike, or 1300 cc engine in a car.

My 2019 Ford F 250 is automatic which is actually good because when it comes to saving fuel (petrol) an automatic transmission on a newer vehicle will be beat any manual transmission. My daily driver cage, (American biker slang for cars) is an Hyundai Accent and is a stick (standard or manual). I call her zippy.
My motorcycles (American for motorbike... Motorkykle.... Mot... Motorkikle... ?) is 1 ? 5 ?. Except my Sportster. It's only a 5 speed.

Side note: no wonder learning English is hard for non-native English speakers. You have 15 ways to describe one thing

You try learning german, one of the worst languages in the world.
I like english, because its one of the simplest languages in this world to learn.

snip...snip.....

Side note: no wonder learning English is hard for non-native English speakers. You have 15 ways to describe one thing

Definitely love driving a manual, double clutching, rev-matching and heel-toe driving is super fun. Wish I still owned a stick shift car, especially a Subaru STI.
Got a big diesel truck now that’s auto which leaves one hand free :gsd_wink:

Definitely love driving a manual, double clutching, rev-matching and heel-toe driving is super fun. Wish I still owned a stick shift car, especially a Subaru STI.
Got a big diesel truck now that’s auto which leaves one hand free :gsd_wink:
So that hand is used to change the radio station and wave to nuns on street corners now, right? :gsd_grin:

The best "anti-theft" device today is a third peddle! I love reading stories of a would be car thief foiled because they don't know how to drive a stick. They learn in prison though! Hahahaha
The straight skinnay, pardner....I drive a Wrangler 5 speed. If the guy behind me at the stoplight beeps 5 seconds after the light goes green, I know hes never driven a stick. Percentage wise, I get about 10 beeps per 12 lights. Works out to about 85 percent automatics

Don't have a car (or license for that matter), but would only drive an automatic. I remember hearing that manual transmission is slowly being phased out and will eventually become obsolete. Which is good as it'd be one less distraction
Never gonna happen....mfrs would prefer it, Im sure. But as long as there's snow, and mud, and roads up one side of the mountains and down the other, Well....they didn't dub it "Standard" por nada, amigo.

I guess that would depend on what I am driving . if it is a high end sports car I would rather it be manual . if it is something I am taking on a long trip I would rather it be a automatic. if its a work truck I would rather it be a manual. if I lived in the stop and go life of the city I guess it would be a automatic. so it just depends on what it is and where it is for me...:cool:

Yeah....English is the language that lures other languages into dark places, mugs them, and rifles their pockets for spare words. German is easy

I don't mind automatics, I slightly prefer manuals for the ability to choose between torque and speed. Continuously Variable Transmissions and Hydrostatic drives are my favorites though.
I love Hydrostatic on my Husqvarna ride-on mower because I can slam the mower into reverse in a heart beat if a front wheel is about to drop into a hole hiding in the long grass.

84 toyota Corolla was my first car i loved it
They were great cars our family had one for those who could drive to drive, Dad had a corolla van for work and the rest of us shared the other Corolla, which led to some very high level negotiations at time to work out who would get the car that night. But for the most part have a shared car worked well and made it much more affordable for us kids to cover running costs.

Back