Manual or automatic?

What do you prefer to drive? Manual or Automatic?

• manual

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • automatic

Votes: 77 28.7%

• Total voters
While my car now is an automatic, my previous vehicle was a Ford Ranger and it had a standard transmission. The whole reason I bought it was because it was manual. My new car produced in 2016 and is unfortunately an automatic. I love being able to select what gear I can be in. Also, I love that a manual allows you to rev in neutral without the rev limiter capping you at around 4000-5000 rpm.

I have a 30-year old Toyota, manual, with nearly 350,000km on it. I love how fast it accelerates, thanks to its 5-speed gearbox, doesn´t matter it has a small 1300cc engine. It's also very reliable and fuel-saver.

I have a 30-year old Toyota, manual, with nearly 350,000km on it. I love how fast it accelerates, thanks to its 5-speed gearbox, doesn´t matter it has a small 1300cc engine. It's also very reliable and fuel-saver.
God, those old toyotas last forever. I'm not sure if they're called the same in your country or not? But Celicas, Camry's, and Corollas from the late 80s up until the late 90s last forever! Same with Honda's as well, as long as long they're taken care of. My brother has a 1998 Camry that has over 301,000 miles on it or 486, 022 km on it.

i read somewhere that most cars bought around the world are manual transmission and supposedly the united states has the most automatic transmissions

God, those old toyotas last forever. I'm not sure if they're called the same in your country or not? But Celicas, Camry's, and Corollas from the late 80s up until the late 90s last forever! Same with Honda's as well, as long as long they're taken care of. My brother has a 1998 Camry that has over 301,000 miles on it or 486, 022 km on it.
Yes, here in DR toyota is the leading brand for more than 50 years, and there are some Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, and others from 80's and ahead still running. I have a '90 Starlet (almost the same as a Tercel, but hatchback) and I love it!

Yes, here in DR toyota is the leading brand for more than 50 years, and there are some Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, and others from 80's and ahead still running. I have a '90 Starlet (almost the same as a Tercel, but hatchback) and I love it!
Looks like a nice little car from what I've found on Google. My mother had a Tercel during our childhood. It was a good little car that would have lasted longer if my mother bothered to change the oil in it. She knows better now, but it's amazing how long that car lasted under her care.

I don't mind automatics, I slightly prefer manuals for the ability to choose between torque and speed. Continuously Variable Transmissions and Hydrostatic drives are my favorites though.

I don't mind automatics, I slightly prefer manuals for the ability to choose between torque and speed. Continuously Variable Transmissions and Hydrostatic drives are my favorites though.
I've never driven manual. I don't even know what torque is.

Four in the floor for both my truck and muscle car (y)
3 on the tree makes you a hipster wannabe. 4 on the floor makes your girlfriend a whore. 5 to drive makes the car come alive. 6 will pull dirty tricks. 7 will blow up after the age of 11. 8 for when you're anything other than straight. 9 plus, you're driving a semi or a bus.

That concludes my TED talk! xP

3 on the tree makes you a hipster wannabe. 4 on the floor makes your girlfriend a whore. 5 to drive makes the car come alive. 6 will pull dirty tricks. 7 will blow up after the age of 11. 8 for when you're anything other than straight. 9 plus, you're driving a semi or a bus.

That concludes my TED talk! xP
You misspelled "horse" :ROFLMAO:

here in europe the automatic has recently entered our world permanently ...:confused:

however an automatic to work:cool:, a manual to travel ;)

Automatic. I've driven stick (floor and column), learned to ride motorcycles and never minded clutching and shifting, even learned double clutching from a friend/trucker and didn't mind that (though I wasn't driving up and down through mountain passes during blizzards. But driving a car through a daily commute and not being able to shift out of second for what can sometimes take hours, becomes exhausting.

The new cars today have something like 11, 12+ gears in the automatics, computer controlled. Good gas mileage, fast, sometimes quirky, but mostly smooth.

I think automatic is for comfort and manual is for fun unless you have an "old" car. But nowadays automatics are more efficient.

I had a ride a few years back - manual, of course, 5 speed. At 3AM, doing my 240-something mile paper route, I stopped in a dip in the road out in the middle of nowhere and shut down to watch the perseid meteor shower. Great view, the little dip hid even the closest lights (probably 10 miles away, give or take, but still enough to bother night-vision) and I got to see lotsa shooting stars. All great, but I've sat here long enough - time to get rolling again. Climbed in, turned key. Grrrr-rrrr-rrrr-UNT-clickety-clickety-click-chatter. Aw, hell... This aint' good... Try again. Same result. Try again. No grunt, just clicks. Play with the battery cables. No change. Lights will come on, but dim. Horn sounds like an asthma victim in full attack. At least a little in the battery - enough to get a spark even if it can't crank? Aw, hell.... why did I think stopping in the dip would be a good thing?!?! Oh well, nothing else to be done, let's see how far and fast I can get this beast rolling. Push it back and try to pop it rolling forward? No, reverse will be better - more spin at the clutch from the same wheel speed than even first gear would give. Find a big rock in the ditch and place it for use as a chock. Get behind and start heaving. Got it started up the slope a few feet. Kick rock under the tire and take a breather. Heave some more, getting maybe a couple inches at a time, kicking the rock along as I go to keep from losing ground. Got it probably 8 feet up the little slope. Set the parking brake, kick the rock loose. Mash the clutch. Make certain it's *IN* reverse. Throttle to the floor and release once. Turn the key on. Send up a little prayer to whatever there might be "up there". Pop the parking brake and hope. Roll back toward the bottom of the dip, dump the clutch just as it feels like it's starting to go up the slope behind - MIGHT be making 5MPH, maybe not even that much. CHUG-LURCH-CHUG-JOLT-sputter-fire-sputter-fire mash the clutch and knock it out of gear to be sure while playing with the throttle - coughing and chugging a bit, but turning over. Coughing and sputtering evens out till it's running good, YES!!!!! Finished the route at 6, rolled it into autozone, and waited for them to open. When they did, put their battery test gadget on it. Showed at least one, possibly two dead cells in the battery. No wonder it didn't have enough oomph to get a start out of it. New battery fixed that problem.

Try *THAT* in an automatic - ANY automatic! <heheheheheheh>

Gimme a stick any day of the week!

Manual. Mostly prefer it for the mileage reasons, but everything I own is either vintage (and older than I am) or performance oriented so I'll take manual over an auto any day I have the choice.

Don't have a car (or license for that matter), but would only drive an automatic. I remember hearing that manual transmission is slowly being phased out and will eventually become obsolete. Which is good as it'd be one less distraction

I have manual shift vehicles with engines from 750cc to 460 cid, and automatics of 2300cc and 289 cid. Love them all but get the most enjoyment from a 1750/4speed Saab. Nobody around here knows what it is.

They both have their purpose. My commuter car and the new truck are autos. The semi’s and the one ton truck are sticks. I enjoy the manual as long as i am not sitting in traffic.

Last edited:
I like manuals but I currently have a automatic.
if I didn’t wreck my dads 87camaro I would still have one.

Back