It stinks being into horses sometimes.

mlp-girl

Tourist
I'm just lamenting the fact that horses require so much more time and money than dogs do. Much easier to become a dog owner than a horse owner. Given my current circumstances, I could own a dog right now if I wanted to do that. But I can't do the same for a horse.

I just have to keep working on getting myself to the point where I can own my own small herd of horses on a private piece of land in the middle of the woods someday.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Pretty much. There's no currently feasible way for me to own a horse at where I am now. There is a lot of horses and cows 20 minutes away from me. So close, but so far away. The slim, and so far only chance I have of meeting a horse is a friend-of-a-friend, halfway across the country that I haven't been introduced to yet.

Oh well. Let's hope our luck changes soon, eh? Keep working towards your goal of becoming an owner on a private piece of land. You'll be there someday.

besides initial costs (which admittedly aren't low) of a stable, land and animal, keeping a horse is actually cheaper. food and vet costs way less for horses. becoming a horse owner is more expensive, then remaining an owner is cheaper.
time investment is (or at least should be) the same.

With horses, only the initial capital is high (area, equipment), everything else is cheaper after that. In addition, there are fewer laws and less idiotic propaganda about it. It can be left alone for longer periods of time, and does not require as many mandatory sessions as a dog.
But it can't be in the house. Or you sleep next to him in the barn.

besides initial costs (which admittedly aren't low) of a stable, land and animal, keeping a horse is actually cheaper. food and vet costs way less for horses. becoming a horse owner is more expensive, then remaining an owner is cheaper.
With horses, only the initial capital is high (area, equipment), everything else is cheaper after that. In addition, there are fewer laws and less idiotic propaganda about it. It can be left alone for longer periods of time, and does not require as many mandatory sessions as a dog.
But it can't be in the house. Or you sleep next to him in the barn.
That's all really good to hear. I'd heard before that the cost of owning a horse is comparable to the cost of owning a car.

Even then, I still need to get myself in a better paying job before I can really think about horse ownership in any serious way.

I had no idea horses were cheaper in the long run. Just assumed the cost would be higher based on the size of the animal. The more you know, I guess.

I had no idea horses were cheaper in the long run. Just assumed the cost would be higher based on the size of the animal. The more you know, I guess.
Perhaps it's because horses are herbivores and dogs are carnivores and how grass is easier to get than protein?

I just thought that horses ate enough to balance out the difference

I never thougth I would own my own bull any time ever.
But than anything just did go so fast. Now I have my own boy, and he's cheaper than I expected. Sure, the initial costs where high. And with my job as a carpenter on the move (iam only home Friday to Sunday) I was not expecting owning a bull would be feasible. I invested alot of time to find a private owner of cows, who would take care of him, while iam away at work.

But it was so worth all the hassles to get to this point. Now my bull is part of a little Herd instead of becoming dead meat. And he only costs me 140€/month + any medical bill + some hours of my weekend. Way cheaper than owning a car, or taking drugs, or smoking.

I'm just lamenting the fact that horses require so much more time and money than dogs do. Much easier to become a dog owner than a horse owner. Given my current circumstances, I could own a dog right now if I wanted to do that. But I can't do the same for a horse.

I just have to keep working on getting myself to the point where I can own my own small herd of horses on a private piece of land in the middle of the woods someday.

Also depends on where you live.
Raising them in colorado vs Arkansas, ya know?

It'll stink even more if you have one. Or rather, you would stink. It's certainly not odour free to keep horses, unless you have people to do all the sweaty work for you.

I guess I need to search for a thread here then..

Hearing that a horse can be cheaper is good news..

Now I just need to figure out how much land per horse and things of that nature seeing as I already own 6 acres, about half of which is wooded..

Maybe it's time...

Yes horse ownership is hard work but very rewarding, really helps with staying in shape. And unless you really want to ride as well there are smaller options available if you absolutely have to have a equine companion but don't have room for a large horse.

Inset-4_77.jpg

I guess I need to search for a thread here then..

Hearing that a horse can be cheaper is good news..

Now I just need to figure out how much land per horse and things of that nature seeing as I already own 6 acres, about half of which is wooded..

Maybe it's time...
Nice, I wish I owned some land. Would be nice

Yes horse ownership is hard work but very rewarding, really helps with staying in shape. And unless you really want to ride as well there are smaller options available if you absolutely have to have a equine companion but don't have room for a large horse.

I can wait until I'm comfortably able to own a regular horse or pony. As cute as minis are, I'd be more interested in riding horses than just looking at them. Unless it's possible to house train a mini then I'd consider it. But I thought horses just poop anywhere without care.

I can wait until I'm comfortably able to own a regular horse or pony. As cute as minis are, I'd be more interested in riding horses than just looking at them. Unless it's possible to house train a mini then I'd consider it. But I thought horses just poop anywhere without care.
House training is actually doable and getting more popular as miniatures are beginning to be used as service animals, they can be trained to use a litter box as well.

If you have the land and funds to buy your own stable, sure. But then again, a farrier and feeding the horse isn't exactly cheap...

Around here, owning a dog costs you about €1200 per year.
If you have to stable a horse somewhere, you're easily €400 out of pocket per month just for the stable.

So, sure, horses can be cheaper if you already have the loads of money required to do everything yourself.

At that point, you might as well get a (few) dog(s) too...

If you have the land and funds to buy your own stable, sure. But then again, a farrier and feeding the horse isn't exactly cheap...

Around here, owning a dog costs you about €1200 per year.
If you have to stable a horse somewhere, you're easily €400 out of pocket per month just for the stable.

So, sure, horses can be cheaper if you already have the loads of money required to do everything yourself.

At that point, you might as well get a (few) dog(s) too...
weird thing is that medical expenses seem cheaper for horses too.

Barring major surgery vet bills for large animals is generally cheaper than "pets", and food is actually cheaper plus it's offset by how much pasture is available, with enough to graze on during the summer feeding grain is not necessary unless they are doing a lot of work.

I've been working on getting myself into a position where I can move to somewhere with the land for a couple horses. It'll be at least another 5 years, minimum.

And I have to learn how to take care of them, first.

Try to keep the faith. There are those of us that are here to help and support those that seek the companionship of equines. I'm well aware of the challenges, difficulties and sacrifices it takes to be an equine keeper/steward. In an ideal world I'd be able to first hand encourage and support more 'seekers'. My heart aches that such is not possible but I do what I'm able. My beloveds are the best mentors. For everyone that falls in love with them they are glorified. Please don't lose focus and hope...

Really and what statistics do you base these claims on? All things must be considered including initial investments for both care and housing. Canines can live in the domicile of their keeper. In most instances not so with equines. Renting equine property is considerably more expensive than renting a living arrangement for a human and a canine! Equine feed costs have rocketed although I acknowledge that canine and feline feed is not inexpensive. If one is unable to keep one's equine companion on the property boarding costs can be insane! Sorry I have to disagree with your assessment here...

Last edited:
I've been working on getting myself into a position where I can move to somewhere with the land for a couple horses. It'll be at least another 5 years, minimum.

And I have to learn how to take care of them, first.
Go volunteer at a horse rescue. Even better if it's one with a work and ride program.

I'm going to get a mini donkey. Not for any reason I just think they are cute.

It's a few years off. Got some land gotta clear it and fix it up.

Back