How much time in a day do you devote to your doggo partner?

bruhmoment64

Tourist
I want to preface this by saying that I’m a complete newbie to this whole thing. Not only that, I’m also new to owning dogs in general. While I’ve been fortunate enough to have friends with dogs and various other pets, I have never had the luxury of owning pets growing up (parents never let me). As such, if I make any mistakes with what I say, please go easy on me :p, I’m trying to educate myself as best I can before taking the plunge and committing to this new life.

I’ll probably be moving out soon once I’m done with uni and I’ll get a job and stuff. I anticipate I’ll probably have fairly standard work hours and shifts and what not. Given that, how much time do you lot spend with your partners? Outside of sex and other intimate stuff, how demanding is it? Ultimately I want to give as much of my time to my partner as I can, but let’s be real, we’re human, we can get tired.

I understand that different breeds have different requirements, and that’s part of my basis for this question. I REALLY like the look of Malamutes. They’re so goddamn adorable, walking balls of fur I fucking love them. But from everything I’ve read, everyone says they aren’t for beginners. But I just love them too much. They’re super intelligent, loyal and silly looking. Am I dooming myself here?

I want to preface this by saying that I’m a complete newbie to this whole thing. Not only that, I’m also new to owning dogs in general. While I’ve been fortunate enough to have friends with dogs and various other pets, I have never had the luxury of owning pets growing up (parents never let me). As such, if I make any mistakes with what I say, please go easy on me :p, I’m trying to educate myself as best I can before taking the plunge and committing to this new life.

I’ll probably be moving out soon once I’m done with uni and I’ll get a job and stuff. I anticipate I’ll probably have fairly standard work hours and shifts and what not. Given that, how much time do you lot spend with your partners? Outside of sex and other intimate stuff, how demanding is it? Ultimately I want to give as much of my time to my partner as I can, but let’s be real, we’re human, we can get tired.

I understand that different breeds have different requirements, and that’s part of my basis for this question. I REALLY like the look of Malamutes. They’re so goddamn adorable, walking balls of fur I fucking love them. But from everything I’ve read, everyone says they aren’t for beginners. But I just love them too much. They’re super intelligent, loyal and silly looking. Am I dooming myself here?

Following this just because I'm curious about the responses. I have never been active with one that I owned, but I've been considering that since 2021.

Since it is more normal these days, I would try to go for a work from home job. Since that way you get to spend more or less the whole day with your dog and you can walk your dog at almost any time.

If that is not an option, then 3 walks (length depends on how demanding your dog is) a day is minimum in my opinion unless you have a backyard which your dog has access to through the day. Even like that walking is always going to be preferred by a dog. Since it is more interesting.
My dog has a massive backyard and he still goes nuts when we go for a walk. Because out there it is the whole world for him to explore.

I find it useful to teach your dog that the first half of the day is work time and you are not going to interact too much. My dog usually sleeps through this part.
Then I have a few hours a day which are dog intensive and that involves a long afternoon walk, playing at home, training and usually finishes with having sex. When this is done, he is so tired, that he goes to sleep until the evening.

Depending on how work intensive the day is, there are exceptions. Sometimes there is more sex, longer walks, more playing... Whole day hikes on weekends.
Then of course my dog sleeps with me, which I absolutely do recommend so add 6-8 hours. :D

Since it is more normal these days, I would try to go for a work from home job. Since that way you get to spend more or less the whole day with your dog and you can walk your dog at almost any time.

If that is not an option, then 3 walks (length depends on how demanding your dog is) a day is minimum in my opinion unless you have a backyard which your dog has access to through the day. Even like that walking is always going to be preferred by a dog. Since it is more interesting.
My dog has a massive backyard and he still goes nuts when we go for a walk. Because out there it is the whole world for him to explore.

I find it useful to teach your dog that the first half of the day is work time and you are not going to interact too much. My dog usually sleeps through this part.
Then I have a few hours a day which are dog intensive and that involves a long afternoon walk, playing at home, training and usually finishes with having sex. When this is done, he is so tired, that he goes to sleep until the evening.

Depending on how work intensive the day is, there are exceptions. Sometimes there is more sex, longer walks, more playing... Whole day hikes on weekends.
Then of course my dog sleeps with me, which I absolutely do recommend so add 6-8 hours. :D
It’s gonna be a job in Research and it’s most probably gonna be something that requires my active presence in the workplace. So working from home unfortunately isn’t an option for me 😓

As for the walks, I figure I could probably do 2 walks a day, one before work and one when I’m home. That and other fun outings.

6-8 hours a day sounds awesome! You’re really lucky!

They are always with me. They come to work they go with me to any social situations. Unfortunately they sometimes have to stay in the van or stay in a stable if its too hot. We walk together sleep together, travel together and make love together.BBut they probably have my full focus for an hour or 2 a day. I very rarely leave them to go abroad and when i do i dont stop thinking about them. But i get someone to stay at home with them.

Back