How Does Your Animal Say No to Sex?

Cutt

Tourist
When hearing about animals and consent, we generally start off with examples of our animals demonstrating desire and knowledge about what they want, or attempting to explain it from a theoretical perspective. However, in my own relationships there have been many times where my advances were met with a "no". I want to provide a place where the examples of the other side of consent, the no, can be shown.

When I propositioned my mare I generally started out playing around with her, poking her, pinching her, moving her, bumping into her with my body to push her around, kissing her face around her eyes dozens of times, sometimes starting in a field, sometimes with her off the lead line in a stall. She knew where it was going, and when she was not interested she would not let me move her around, she would not want to play around, she ignored me pinching her or taping her, pull her face out of my hands, and turn away if I tried running my hand towards her but. One time her rear hooves ended up a few inches from my face. These signals meant no, and instead I'd get her out of the field like usual, brush her, give her treats, graze her, and do everything else I was planning on doing anyway. I in no way deprived her of any love, affection, or my presence and companionship when she was not interested in being physically intimate, and she still enjoyed my presence and acted happy to be around me.

In the act she was particular about how I made love to her. She did not desire to be touched while having sex, and if I rested a hand on her rear she would move to the side and give me the evil eye. She had a sixth sense for when I was about to orgasm, and if she had not had enough yet, she would move to the side and again give me the eye. If I was going too slow, she would stop winking, then eventually move to the side (she liked it fast). There were times when she did not desire penetration by me, only fingering. When she was in the mood for that she would not let me mount her, moving away from me before flashing, and positioning, indicating a desire to continue; refusing to be mounted but strongly reacting to my fingers until orgasm. After she had orgasmed once, generally, she moved away after about half a minute, which indicated that the session had ended. She would not let me mount her again or please her with my fingers, moving away if I attempted to due to some confusion in communication. She would consistently correct me, and it was very much clear that I was there on her terms.

I knew when my horse said yes, and I knew when my horse said no. I respected her decisions because I loved her. I miss her dearly.

P.S. This is why I feel worried when people talk about "wanting to fuck a mare" as in my experience, there are rules and an entire protocol that requires extensive knowledge about that particular mare, how to communicate with horses, and understand their body language to ensure consent. The idea that some mares aren't so elaborate is new to me since joining the forum.

Last edited:
Female Ostriches actually hiss when they don't like something or someone.
Also waving with their large wings left, then right, then left again, then right... you get the point.
They are very obvious signs of saying "get off me" and I respect that.
But most females love getting humped ;-)

I have a goat that will simply lay on the floor when she's had enough. Be it the moment you try or after five minutes, or never.

I usually see it before she even needs to, but I have sometimes fallen almost on top 😅

I actually loved fucking sideways on the floor, and I had to finally stop just because it was more difficult to know if she was totally ok at a given moment

For bitches there are clear indications all the way through to subtle ones that tend to indicate her level of rejection of the idea. I feel they're pretty hard to miss when she's making them clear; clampng her tail down, walking away, sitting down, and other moves which deny access to her vulva or to her entire body (by leaving) and if you're really pushing boundaries, growling. Subtle signs can vary from bitch to bitch, but tend to be similar to the clear ones, just more subdued.

Edit: It's important to understand rejection, but you also want to look for positive signs that she's interested and not just signs she's not. No means no, but "not clearly no" doesn't mean yes. There are threads on the topic, so I'm just mentioning it and not elaborating.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dog has been comfortable with me for some time now, so I don't typically see the more dramatic signs for "No". Although that could also be because we have an understanding on where and how sex takes place; we only ever do it in her bedding area, and she needs to flop onto her back before I will start making advances. However she still can and does say no, by simply closing her legs. Usually this just means more foreplay is desired before I am allowed to proceed, but if she doesn't open back up after some tummy rubbing and petting I know she's not having it. Either way she definitely enjoys all the rubbing and petting :gsd_wink:

My dog has a few ways of refusing similar to what has been said above. I generally do not ask for sex often, I let him do it and that way his consent it unquestionable. Then the infrequent refusal is on my side and if I refuse, he will vocally complain about it.

But if I do touch his sheath and he is not into it, he moves sideways, if I would attempt it again, he would growl at me, it is a short "nope" growl while he moves his hind parts out of my reach.

For completeness here are the other threads mentioned above:

It would have to do with them making it easier for you if it's a absolute yes. No bribes needed

A absolute no is the pure opposite.

My pony mare gives very clear yes/no signals, yes is simple enough with the normal tail flagged and winking common with mares, her outright saying no is rare but no less clear, tail clamped down, rump turned away and a snort accompanied by a hoof stomp is definitely her saying "not interested".

I feel they're pretty hard to miss when she's making them clear; clampng her tail down, walking away, sitting down, and other moves which deny access to her vulva or to her entire body (by leaving)
When it comes to female canines pretty much this. ☝️ However there are a couple of others during penetration itself. When it comes to female dogs, they may initially show interest, but for whatever reason during penetration they may revoke that consent. The main things you'd want to look out for in this scenario would be "step dancing" basically she'll lift her left and right leg in a stepping motion. This signals that she's uncomfortable. Another major one would be trying to turn to face you during penetration. The last one I can think of at the moment would be pulling herself away. Even if she initially appears to be interested, if she displays these body language signals, sex should stop immediately. No questions asked.

When it comes to female canines pretty much this. ☝️ However there are a couple of others during penetration itself. When it comes to female dogs, they may initially show interest, but for whatever reason during penetration they may revoke that consent. The main things you'd want to look out for in this scenario would be "step dancing" basically she'll lift her left and right leg in a stepping motion. This signals that she's uncomfortable. Another major one would be trying to turn to face you during penetration. The last one I can think of at the moment would be pulling herself away. Even if she initially appears to be interested, if she displays these body language signals, sex should stop immediately. No questions asked.
Don't forget to ask her why she is nervous to make her feel better after. Usually if in tune she will respond with a appropriate answer

Walking off, or putting his head down. If he's lying on his bed and a snuggle gets a bit more involved he will lift his leg if he wants more and keep his leg down if he's more interested in sleep or chilling than sex at the time.

But really there's so many little things some are common between animals while others a specific to the 4 legger you love. Just spend lots of time with them can help so much in learning what their cues are both regular stuff as well as sex.

Saying no during can happen. My girl tends to reach her conclusion rather quickly, and although she is happy to continue for a time, she will get restless if I take too long. Occasionally this will culminate in her standing up, ending the encounter.

Back