Horse Ownership - Boarding Your Horse

I want to get into horse ownership.

My grandparents had horses while I was growing up. I loved visiting their ranch just to brush them, feed them, pet their necks and snouts. I just loved being around them. Never rode them. It was many years before I discovered zoo but when I did don't get me wrong I was very much attracted to these horses, but the three of them were all geldings. I did still try and jerk them off, two of them did not like me touching their sheaths, and the other I wouldn't say liked it sexually, I think he just liked the attention so he would always let me. Nothing would happen, he wouldn't drop or anything, but I still liked the feeling of massaging his soft sheath.

All of that being said, I am on this forum so I am obviously sexually attracted to horses, BUT I like horses outside of sex. I don't just want to get a mare so she can be a sex toy, I legitimately want to get into horse ownership so I can spend time with a loving and affectionate mare with an amazing personality. I have no proper experience with horses outside of the basics like knowing how to act around them, knowing how to approach one, not spooking her, etc.

What I want to ask is, how did the rest of you get into horse ownership? Until a couple months ago, I thought it was a completely distant dream and I will never be able to have enough land to own some horses, and even if I did have the land I would never be able to afford caring for multiple horses (as if I was to get one, I wouldn't want her to be alone). But then I was reading through a thread and read that some horse owners don't own land but instead board their horse which opened up a whole new possibility for me. I have a good job and make close to 90k/year but I do live in CA so cost of living is high. Outside of rent and a car loan, I just save up my money. Here are the steps I was thinking of taking:

1.) Start volunteering on a horse ranch. I want to get experience with actually caring for horses to see if the life is for me. If I am to buy a horse, that's going to be a huge commitment.

2.) After a couple months to a year, I would buy myself a mare. Ideally, I would be able to board her at the same ranch I was volunteering at as I would already have relationships with the owners/workers (maybe they would even give me a discount haha).

Has anyone else gone through the same process into horse ownership? The boarding facility I would have to board her at would have to be a full care facility. I have done a little research and a lot of full care facilities are $400-$600/month which is affordable to me but there has to be extra costs I'm not thinking of.

Obviously every facility is going to be different, but if you do board your love, how is your relationship? How often do you visit? When it does come to sexy times, how do you do it privately? If you started off by volunteering, how did you do it? Did you legit just go up and ask or what?

Never owned a horse, but know people who have. Sadly not in a zoo way. Anyway, a lot has to do with where you live in terms of horse ownership costs. Like living in a city with limited boarding options around , fighting with rich people for limited space and resources, etc. Versus more rural areas or "horse country" where there are lots of options and costs would be lower for everything from boarding, feed, vet costs. etc.

My boarding experience is from the other side, aka owner of the barn/pastures ect. I'll warn you now that you should avoid "fun times" at the boarding facility as there will be cameras at any decent one, that's how I met what would become my first Zoo friend when they were trying to get it on with the mare they were boarding with me and didn't know that there was a camera in the stall, they were just lucky that I am a equine zoo otherwise they would have been in a world of shit.

My boarding experience is from the other side, aka owner of the barn/pastures ect. I'll warn you now that you should avoid "fun times" at the boarding facility as there will be cameras at any decent one, that's how I met what would become my first Zoo friend when they were trying to get it on with the mare they were boarding with me and didn't know that there was a camera in the stall, they were just lucky that I am a equine zoo otherwise they would have been in a world of shit.
Thats great advice. Have to always assume cameras are anywhere outside of your own property. I mean they are so cheap and easy to deploy and the image quality has skyrocketed. Even in the woods where you think you are alone there could be a cellular trail/game camera lurking. Always be aware in public or places you dont own.

Oh forgot to mention your meeting your zoo friend. WOW he won the super lottery having you being the one that caught him. That could have been a life changing for the worse moment for him if it wasn't you.

Oh forgot to mention your meeting your zoo friend. WOW he won the super lottery having you being the one that caught him. That could have been a life changing for the worse moment for him if it wasn't you.
Yeah the odds of being caught on camera standing on a bucket behind a mare with your pants down and not going to jail are lower than winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning, that's why I always warn anyone that is thinking about trying something at a boarding stable, the odds are not in one's favor that they won't call the authorities.

Same thing goes for riding trails at them as well, as you mentioned cameras are extremely affordable now are easy to place anywhere you want, unlike years ago when they were only used in important places, like the nice double sized foaling stall that seems ever so nice for a little private time with a mare 🤣

Not to hijack the thread but my wife and I operated a boarding stable for a while and caught the neighbor kid (18), who worked for us at the time, in a stall with a mare and a bale of hay. It was his lucky day too! Lol.

Last edited:
I never felt comfortable boarding my horses and never did ,it was way to expensive and never know how a horse would be treated if boarded at a yard , some yards can have hidden agendas , my expenses are less per month as I have my stallion at home where I can keep an eye on him ,and it's more privacy for me too bonding with him . I do his hooves, trimming,filing , can put the correct iron shoes on etc without the extra fees charged as at a boarding school.

important places, like the nice double sized foaling stall that seems ever so nice for a little private time with a mare

Haha I see what you did there "foaling".

Not to hijack the thread but my wife and I operated a boarding stable for a while and caught the neighbor kid, who worked for us at the time, in a stall with a mare and a bale of hay. It was his lucky day too! Lol.

Wow both of you are great, saved fellow zoos and I'm sure they both learned a lifelong lesson!

I can imagine confronting them, and they turn pale with fear, then you step in and explain a better technique and some tips on mares and HOW NOT TO GET CAUGHT DAMMIT. It must have been the biggest rush for them to learn you aren't there to bust them. Oh and I'm assuming when you say kid you are talking 18+ age as divulging anything other is a no-no here.

I spend the last 5 years spending thousands of education and riding lessons and getting a job in equestrian. Ive sold my house and bought a new one with the possibility of building stables. Im just about to adopt my first horse in the next several months.
A lot of time, money, sacrafice and commitment. And im still not quite there lol

Not to hijack the thread but my wife and I operated a boarding stable for a while and caught the neighbor, who worked for us at the time, in a stall with a mare and a bale of hay. It was his lucky day too! Lol.
Very lucky as well, I ended up having a very long discussion with the one I caught and explaining that he was lucky beyond belief that I was also into mares and the fact that it was his mare he was messing with, and what could happen if he had been fooling around with any of the pregnant ones or anything else that wasn't his own. Basically all the things that a young and dumb horny male doesn't even consider when wanting to get off.

Going into detail about how you can cause a miscarriage in a pregnant mare or get kicked through the wall by one that seems like she's friendly will definitely make someone go pale, giving a demonstration of the proper technique with a very willing mare, priceless 😉

Very lucky as well, I ended up having a very long discussion with the one I caught and explaining that he was lucky beyond belief that I was also into mares and the fact that it was his mare he was messing with, and what could happen if he had been fooling around with any of the pregnant ones or anything else that wasn't his own. Basically all the things that a young and dumb horny male doesn't even consider when wanting to get off.

Going into detail about how you can cause a miscarriage in a pregnant mare or get kicked through the wall by one that seems like she's friendly will definitely make someone go pale, giving a demonstration of the proper technique with a very willing mare, priceless 😉
So what's the code word for "lessons" at your establishment?:unsure::LOL:

I weekly watch equestrian lessons as my offspring is taking jumping classes. Of course she would love a horse of her own and we are in an area with lots of horse activity and facilities but I keep explaining it is a lot of money and major chunk of your lifetime commitment. If she keeps up with it we may lease at some point, but she's still early on. Anywhoo, Love watching the mares go by. This weekend one stopped to pee very close to me, I'm not into the pee thing but mares for some reason I think its hot. While I'd love an opportunity to engage with one, they kinda scare me. Not terrifying but I just feel awkward around them, to the point where I have had opportunities to pet them and stuff and I'm rather timid to do so. Mare my offspring was riding stuck its face into where I was sitting just a few feet from the rail, I'm like "OH HI THERE" , someone else came up and pet her and I was like dammit i wanted to do that but didnt.

Haha I see what you did there "foaling".

Wow both of you are great, saved fellow zoos and I'm sure they both learned a lifelong lesson!

I can imagine confronting them, and they turn pale with fear, then you step in and explain a better technique and some tips on mares and HOW NOT TO GET CAUGHT DAMMIT. It must have been the biggest rush for them to learn you aren't there to bust them. Oh and I'm assuming when you say kid you are talking 18+ age as divulging anything other is a no-no here.
Of course, 18. But I didn't tell him I was. I just didn't make a big deal of it. I was going to broach the subject at a later date but unfortunately not long after that he was killed in an ATV accident so we never got a chance to play. 😥

Of course, 18. But I didn't tell him I was. I just didn't make a big deal of it. I was going to broach the subject at a later date but unfortunately not long after that he was killed in an ATV accident so we never got a chance to play. 😥
Ouch sorry to hear that, very sad.:(

Yeah the odds of being caught on camera standing on a bucket behind a mare with your pants down and not going to jail are lower than winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning, that's why I always warn anyone that is thinking about trying something at a boarding stable, the odds are not in one's favor that they won't call the authorities.

Same thing goes for riding trails at them as well, as you mentioned cameras are extremely affordable now are easy to place anywhere you want, unlike years ago when they were only used in important places, like the nice double sized foaling stall that seems ever so nice for a little private time with a mare 🤣
Yeah that's something I have definitely thought about. I have seen many normie videos of horses online from what look like stall cams, and if I'm using my brain it's common sense that a business that deals in the well being of your animal would want proof of that, hence the cameras. The riding trail cameras is something I would not have thought of though. I have heard of others who would bring their mare to a private spot on the trail to have some sexy time, but even that might be watched.

I have very lightly looked at boarding facilities in my area to find out if the cost would be realistic and it seems all the facilities vary greatly. Some have the stalls made out of metal ring fences that you can see right through, others are completely closed off stalls where the only way you could see in is from the stall door. This very much could be just me projecting, but two different facilities I looked at empathized "privacy" and "no drama" everywhere in their ad which def made me thing limited cameras.

Not to hijack the thread but my wife and I operated a boarding stable for a while and caught the neighbor kid (18), who worked for us at the time, in a stall with a mare and a bale of hay. It was his lucky day too! Lol.
Did you catch him on camera or walking by while he was in the act?

I spend the last 5 years spending thousands of education and riding lessons and getting a job in equestrian. Ive sold my house and bought a new one with the possibility of building stables. Im just about to adopt my first horse in the next several months.
A lot of time, money, sacrafice and commitment. And im still not quite there lol
Nice to see you in this thread. Hope all goes well for you. You're about to be living the dream being able to have private land with your animals

Did you catch him on camera or walking by while he was in the act?
Walked in the barn unexpectedly while he was getting set up. He fumbled some lame excuse and I acted like I bought it but I knew what he was up to. Lol. I was going to try and catch him in the act later, but that didn't have a chance to happen.

Back