General question to those actually in the zoo lifestyle

What do you prefer your animal companion to be referred to as?

• Pet

Votes: 42 22.3%
  • Companion

Votes: 69 36.7%
  • Lover

Votes: 46 24.5%
  • Species (dog, horse, etc)

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Other (please say in comments)

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters
Friend. Ive always called my dogs my friend. I dont believe in being an animals "owner", and "pet" also sounds like something you purchase as an accessory. I clearly cannot refer to an animal as my boyfriend because of legal reasons.

Friend. Ive always called my dogs my friend. I dont believe in being an animals "owner", and "pet" also sounds like something you purchase as an accessory. I clearly cannot refer to an animal as my boyfriend because of legal reasons.
I totally support your heart in this. For me, the only exception is in the legal definition of "owner". I own my dog in the eyes of my veterinarian, my neighbors and the public at large... in the context that my dog is mine and I'm charged with all aspects of her care and well-being.

Lol, consider this a crossover from vegan stuff and the whole animal sentience and advanced rights argument, but i just go with companions, in lew of sounding crazy and just using straight people terms (If it wouldn't cause such stares, id call my current animal friends room mates!).
I try not to use the term pet. It seems so... devaluing.

I refer to my companions by their names outside of zoo circles. In zoo circles... id rather keep everyone around me anonymous.

In private, he's "lover"..

Public, "my boy"

EDIT: When we're having a moment, sometimes "baby"

And he answers to all of them

Last edited:
I have tended to use "My Girl" or "Partner" depending on the conversation and context. I find that the first never poses a problem (though sometimes I had to clarify I wasn't referring to a human), while the second is usually understood as whimsical (since I didn't do a job with her). Interestingly, I've had other people refer to her as my "girlfriend"- without a whiff of suspicion for them.

It's funny how the terms we use can change meaning depending on who the audience is...

Back