Favorite dog breed?

Nerya

Lurker
Hey guys,
I am currently looking for a male puppy. Not quite certain what breed, so I am curious about what’s your favorite breed and if your experience might be able to help me decide. As in characteristics, looks and whatsoever. Since I am quite small and petite in shape, I don’t think a dane would fit me. Literally. So I’ve been eyeing medium breeds especially. I am not just looking for something to have fun times with, but also for a family member, that will be taken care of.

This has been asked a million times before, please use to learn the search!

With that...
don't get any size dog with the intention of sex. There's far more to a dog than that. I would suggest looking at dogs that fit your lifestyle and working from there. Are you sedentary or active? do you work a lot? have you owned a dog before?

all of this matters more than if it'll 'fit' you.

When I used to search, all things that popped up were literally based on sex. Don't know, I might be blind, but I didn't think it would be too much of a big deal to simply ask again. I mean, it's not like you have tons of questions repeating themselves day by day.

As mentioned above, I am not just getting a dog for the intention of sex. The dog's meant to be a companion. Apart from that, yes, I've somewhat owned dogs before, since I basically grew up with some. I'm a rather chill person, that likes spending time at home but I also work out three times a week and like taking walks a lot. Since I am working from home, I can also provide a lot of time for the dog and also more than enough money to keep it healthy and happy.

I think maybe something like a lab would be a good idea but they need lots of exercise and tend to be high strung and neurotic

a german shepherd could be a good choice too as long as its from a reputable breeder and are willing to put in a lot of work to train it

If you want something a little bit smaller than that a terrier type like staffordshire terrier or american staffordshire is a good choice too. I also could recommend a mutt from the shelter honestly. They can be even better companions than purebreds.

I would say for people that have never owned a dog before (assuming you have not), that a basset hound would be the best companion to learn to care for. They are pretty much puppies their entire lives, able to form family bonds with almost anyone at any age. They want to be around you, and are not that large of a breed at all. They can live in about any environment you do as long as you spend time with them.
Sadly, they are a bit lacking on the intelligence side as far as dogs go, if that is important to you. They can also be overly-active, so plan on exercise or they will get fat, because they do not know when to stop eating...

Hey guys,
I am currently looking for a male puppy. Not quite certain what breed, so I am curious about what’s your favorite breed and if your experience might be able to help me decide. As in characteristics, looks and whatsoever. Since I am quite small and petite in shape, I don’t think a dane would fit me. Literally. So I’ve been eyeing medium breeds especially. I am not just looking for something to have fun times with, but also for a family member, that will be taken care of.

I know this is a really late reply, but well... i'm gonna say, Cockers are very nice breeds. They're handy, also lovely, and in terms of "male equipment" they're pretty well endowed. A friend of mine had one who was very versatile with her, trying new poses, also they have a nice temperement, which allows to be easy to be understood and to him to understand him/her. I think this is a good breed to begginers

Hey guys,
Watch a lot of the DogWhisperer. The best thing you can do is assess your energy level and match a dog to that. If you are high energy and very active, find a dog breed that is close to that, like a Lab, if you are more of a home body or lower energy and like to keep things chill, something lazy will be a better fit for you, a bulldog for instance or some of the larger breeds.

Hands down the GSD. They are so handsome and easy to train if you know what you're doing. Second to that would be any other Giant or Wolflike breed, but then some of the specific breeds may or may not fit your lifestyle.

German shepherd. I love my dog Simon so much, he's so loyal and protective of me. He's also a great lover, a little sloppy on the aim at times (my butt!) but he enjoys spending time with me. :p I especially love taking him on walks down these trails where we have privacy to bond.

German shepherd. I love my dog Simon so much, he's so loyal and protective of me. He's also a great lover, a little sloppy on the aim at times (my butt!) but he enjoys spending time with me. :p I especially love taking him on walks down these trails where we have privacy to bond.
They’re such a sexy breed along with Great Danes and Dobermans. If you ever want to chat feel free to message

Since teen, i always preferred dogs that weren't instinctively aggressive and absolutely no noisy midget little dogs :D:D.............so i always had Labs or Retrievers.
Personally i see them very obedient, of a good size and great in bed.

Since teen, i always preferred dogs that weren't instinctively aggressive and absolutely no noisy midget little dogs :D:D.............so i always had Labs or Retrievers.
Personally i see them very obedient, of a good size and great in bed.
I just came by reading your posts lol thank you!

This has been asked a million times before, please use to learn the search!

With that...
don't get any size dog with the intention of sex. There's far more to a dog than that. I would suggest looking at dogs that fit your lifestyle and working from there. Are you sedentary or active? do you work a lot? have you owned a dog before?

all of this matters more than if it'll 'fit' you.

Good answer, without the first phrase. A forum is not the same as a search engine! It is normal that the same topics get brought up and discussed many times over, ant that's a healthy forum!

Hey guys,

Well, I don't know where to beging actually. There are so many things to be aware of when getting a dog! How much experience do you have with dogs, what's your living conditions, how much time can you afford to spend on your new companion, whats your lifestyle, and so on...
The first, and maybe the most important rule you should consider is, do not ever get a dog with higher energy level as your self! If you are lazy, get a dog that have equal or lower energy level that yourself, and also if you are an athletic/sporty person, the same rule. The second, how much experience do you have with dogs and how much are you willing to learn and give of yourself. The third... I don't know.

In my case: my first dog was an Alaska husky. A very demanding dog and not one for beginners. But she taught me a lot and awakened my interest for dogs and dog behaviour. If my first dog was an easy one, maybe I wouldn't be a canine behaviorist now...

Now I am a person that like to spend a lot of time outdoors.
So for my second dog I chose one with a high a energy level (because I also have it), a high prey drive and hunting instinct (because I will use my dog for hunting) but also one that is affectionate, social and likes to cuddle with me on the sofa. That's why I now have a Gordon setter, and not an Alaska husky.

Yeh and btw, big dogs are often the most calm ones. I have been thinking for myself that when I'm like 70 years old, I will get a Leonberger! They are enormous, and chill, and I just love them. But way too slow for me now!!!
My point is, it's not the size. It's the energy level of the dog that should decide if it's right for you or not.

Last edited:
Back